Schnees timberline reviews

jdeanwvu

FNG
good to know!! I haven’t hiked in mine since I treated them last. Fingers crossed but your post gives me promise. I used snow seal... nikwax or oberhaufs better you feel?

Nikwax is actually what Schnee's recommends you use. I believe it is better for overall performance of the leather. It conditions it while allowing it to maintain its breathability. It also doesn't use any animal products/ oils so overall it will improve the life of the rand. Other oil based products may degrade the rand prematurely.

Franger

FNG
Lots of comparisons between Timberlines and Quests on this thread. I just so happen to be in that debate at the moment. The flex is extremely similar. The fit is marginally more comfy in the Quest. In size 10, the Quests weigh ~5oz less per boot. I can’t rate durability or waterproofing yet, though the Timberline is clearly “more boot” than the Salomon Quest. In the ankle support area, the Timberlines are way way ahead of the Salomon.

Whatever secret sauce Salomon has in their lasting and boot shaping, it’s impressive. I can’t think of an out of the box feeling quite like the Quest 4D, in a good way. But overall support and durability are big concerns. The Timberline is extremely comfortable compared to just about any mountain boot I’ve worn, but the Quest is just crazy slipper-like.

Lots of comparisons between Timberlines and Quests on this thread. I just so happen to be in that debate at the moment. The flex is extremely similar. The fit is marginally more comfy in the Quest. In size 10, the Quests weigh ~5oz less per boot. I can’t rate durability or waterproofing yet, though the Timberline is clearly “more boot” than the Salomon Quest. In the ankle support area, the Timberlines are way way ahead of the Salomon.

Whatever secret sauce Salomon has in their lasting and boot shaping, it’s impressive. I can’t think of an out of the box feeling quite like the Quest 4D, in a good way. But overall support and durability are big concerns. The Timberline is extremely comfortable compared to just about any mountain boot I’ve worn, but the Quest is just crazy slipper-like.

The Timberline is all leather and the Quest is almost all synthetic. They aren’t even comparable IMO. All leather will far outlast synthetic and remain waterproof, and synthetic is lighter and more breathable but will inevitably loose waterproofness over time. Whichever of those is more important to you, go that route. Both are good boots but serve different needs/wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Franger

FNG
The Timberline is all leather and the Quest is almost all synthetic. They aren’t even comparable IMO. All leather will far outlast synthetic and remain waterproof, and synthetic is lighter and more breathable but will inevitably loose waterproofness over time. Whichever of those is more important to you, go that route. Both are good boots but serve different needs/wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ll take a different tact…I think it goes beyond what the uppers are made of. There is enough nubuck in the Quest that it isn’t quite the fast drying, lightweight trail-only boot some assert. The are only 5 ounces apart in weight. Thats not nothing, but it isn’t a vast difference. And the difference between Sympatex and GoreTex is large enough to warrant an entire conversation all its own. Not to mention, their flex is extremely similar.

I’m not saying they’re the same boot. But I think they fit in the same niche for various lighter duty uses below tree line.