Schoeller Fabric/Kryptek Altitude Series

I recently listened to Kifarucast with the Kryptek guys and I am very interested in this Schoeller fabric that they talked about. Does anyone have any experience with it? What other companies are using it outside of the hunting space?

Scorpion

WKR
Yes, I have experience with it in the Kryptek Altitude line of gear. Any specific questions that you might have? It is the real deal.

Schoeller is probably the leading name in technical fabric for high end mountaineering clothing. Outdoor Research, Arc’Teryx, Mammut, etc.

OP
E
I am wondering if it is really worth the money, especially the Bora series. I want the wind blocker membrane but I don’t want it to over heat me when hiking. I have looked on both outdoor research and arcteryx websites and can’t find any garments with the specific technologies that Kryptek is touting. Honesty I’d probably go with Kryptek if they were in solids. I just like getting more than one use out of my clothes.
Yes, I have experience with it in the Kryptek Altitude line of gear. Any specific questions that you might have? It is the real deal.

Schoeller is probably the leading name in technical fabric for high end mountaineering clothing. Outdoor Research, Arc’Teryx, Mammut, etc.

Kotaman

WKR
I have several pieces in the Altitude series. Most of which has been bought direct heavily discounted or on Camofire. If you wait, you will catch it on sale and the sales are usually good. As far as I know, Kryptek is the only hunting specific company using Schoeler but several mountaineering companies use it. Their fabrics are second to none. The rain gear is as good as anything I’ve used.

The Bora pants are a water resistant, wind resistant cold weather pant. No way could I hike in them in moderate temps. For hiking, the Tora pant is a great mountain pant and better for hiking IMO.

Benjblt

WKR
I am wondering if it is really worth the money, especially the Bora series. I want the wind blocker membrane but I don’t want it to over heat me when hiking. I have looked on both outdoor research and arcteryx websites and can’t find any garments with the specific technologies that Kryptek is touting. Honesty I’d probably go with Kryptek if they were in solids. I just like getting more than one use out of my clothes.
I've looked for other rain gear that uses schoeler and haven't been able to find any.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
E
Sweet thank you everyone for the information! I’ll contact arcteryx and outdoor research and see

Scorpion

WKR

I have the Bora pants & jacket, Tora pants, vest, and Takur gaiters. The fabrics meet or exceed performance of any other soft shells that I have personally tried (I’ve used KUIU, Sitka, First Lite, North Face, Oatagonia, etc.)

This series of equipment is geared to hunting in austere environments, especially at or above tree line. The Bora is definitely best suited for cold weather. The Tora is thinner and would work best for earlier season hunts. The DWR treatment on these fabrics is as good as I’ve seen. The fleece & merino blend layers are also top notch.

FWIW, I’ve only had part of a season to try this gear out, so I don’t have much insight on long term use. Especially interested to see how the DWR holds up.

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Bora pants & jacket, Tora pants, vest, and Takur gaiters. The fabrics meet or exceed performance of any other soft shells that I have personally tried (I’ve used KUIU, Sitka, First Lite, North Face, Oatagonia, etc.)

This series of equipment is geared to hunting in austere environments, especially at or above tree line. The Bora is definitely best suited for cold weather. The Tora is thinner and would work best for earlier season hunts. The DWR treatment on these fabrics is as good as I’ve seen. The fleece & merino blend layers are also top notch.

FWIW, I’ve only had part of a season to try this gear out, so I don’t have much insight on long term use. Especially interested to see how the DWR holds up.

How are the Takur gaiters? Been eyeing them along with the newest version of the Sitka Storefront but hard to find much feedback on either.

Schoeller has been around for while now. Companies used it before they designed their own fabrics. Mountain Hardwear is one, not anymore.

I have the bora vest. Great for addtional core warmth layer while glassing. Best price for a softshell vest around. I have a Mountain hardwear dragon jacket that is near identical in performance. If your looking for something similar but dont care about the camo at about half the price Helly Hansen is the way to go.

LJ Buck

WKR
I have had an amazing experience with the altitude line. Rain gear is hands down amazing. Bora pants are a bad ass late season pant. Gators have performed perfectly for me.

Scorpion

WKR
How are the Takur gaiters? Been eyeing them along with the newest version of the Sitka Storefront but hard to find much feedback on either.

I like them so far, just got them and will be giving them a run through spring hunting. The Stormfront gaiters are a hard shell Gore-Tex fabric, the Kryptek are not. They are a four way stretch soft shell (more akin to a KUIU Yukon gaiter). My go to gaiters are Outdoor Research Crocodiles, I don’t think you’ll find anything better than them.

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
I like them so far, just got them and will be giving them a run through spring hunting. The Stormfront gaiters are a hard shell Gore-Tex fabric, the Kryptek are not. They are a four way stretch soft shell (more akin to a KUIU Yukon gaiter). My go to gaiters are Outdoor Research Crocodiles, I don’t think you’ll find anything better than them.

Thanks for sharing. I think I'm most concerned with abrasion resistance and breathability. How would you compare the OR Crocs? Do you have the standard or Expedition?

Beendare

WKR
I recently listened to Kifarucast with the Kryptek guys and I am very interested in this Schoeller fabric that they talked about. Does anyone have any experience with it? What other companies are using it outside of the hunting space?
I had a pair of pants from REI made from Schoeller Dynamic- I think they called it....this is about 15 years ago when REI used to make the Mistral line from that fabric. My favorite pant- they breathe just the right amount, stretch, rain bounces off, etc- the perfect fabric. Thx for the heads up.....I'm going to have to pick up a pair.

______

darren820

FNG
I've been doing alot of research on heavy duty rain gear and had settled on a Kuiu Yukon set. Now that the price on the altitude stuff has come down I am torn between the Yukon and the Takur. Has anyone owned both that could offer a comparison? Thanks

slatty

WKR
I have the first lite jacket by black diamond which comes in schoeller and have been really impressed after using it for a year. Very durable, not a rain jacket for sure but light rain is ok. It comes in neutral solids.
I actually just went to buy some kryptek but missed my sale window on blackovis.com.... will keep looking.

bsnedeker

WKR
Does anyone know where to find the specs for these jackets? I hear good things about the company but I've honestly never even remotely considered buying anything from them because they don't publish specs like weight, breathability, and waterproofness. These are standard specs that every other company lists for their raingear but Kryptek does not for some reason. It's impossible to compare them to other brands when they don't list this information.

Kotaman

WKR
I've been doing alot of research on heavy duty rain gear and had settled on a Kuiu Yukon set. Now that the price on the altitude stuff has come down I am torn between the Yukon and the Takur. Has anyone owned both that could offer a comparison? Thanks

I've had both, used both quite extensively on mountain hunts. No comparison for me, the Takur beats the Yukon in every single category. It is lighter, more packable and keeps you dry.

Scorpion

WKR
Does anyone know where to find the specs for these jackets? I hear good things about the company but I've honestly never even remotely considered buying anything from them because they don't publish specs like weight, breathability, and waterproofness. These are standard specs that every other company lists for their raingear but Kryptek does not for some reason. It's impossible to compare them to other brands when they don't list this information.

they have waterproof rating listed on the website, it says 19,500 mm H20.

D1D012D1-5988-4BAD-9675-1076773571DD.png

Couldn’t find breathability rating but here is what Westcomb has listed for a jacket made with C-Change.

96B85D96-5C14-4F98-9F2C-3B5D1A488159.png

Scorpion

WKR
Thanks for sharing. I think I'm most concerned with abrasion resistance and breathability. How would you compare the OR Crocs? Do you have the standard or Expedition?

Believe mine are the Expedition Crocs that have a cordura exterior. Time will tell but I don’t know how you could make a more durable gaiter than them.

I haven’t had a real chance to run the Kryptek gaiters through their paces yet, I’ll report back.