School me on Alaska caribou/moose

Looking at planning a caribou/moose trip for me and my wife in the near future but I have zero experience with Alaska much less Alaska hunting. If we were to hunt moose, I’d probably want to hunt the brooks range unless someone knows of a better area with bigger moose. For caribou I really want to hunt the 40 mile range. I’ve heard there are good moose there as well.

Either hunt will be a drop hunt and flown in to a location and dropped off. Ideally, I’d like to not see another hunter for a week Bc honestly, the solitude for me is just as rewarding as killing. I would assume that the gear I have and use solo back country hunting in Colorado would suffice for Alaska but I could add a piece of gear here and there if needed. That’s a discussion for later.

I have no idea how getting a tag in Colorado works or the pricing. I know that getting an air taxi is anywhere from 2500-4500, depending on who you go with. So anyone with any kind of experience please chime in be it suggestions on location to hunt for species, air taxis, gear I suppose, tags, and anything I may not be thinking of.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weaver

WKR
Book with a reputable transporter like papa bear for moose or forty mile air for caribou.
That's much easier said then done.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
There is tons of info on here about DYI moose and Bou. I shifted over to the 40mile area for my next caribou hunt, 2020. Getting a good transporter is your most difficult logistical obstacle.
Everything you need to know is already in rokside

Last edited:
The Rokslide search box is your friend for sure. There is way more information and data waiting there. Just enter various keywords and you'll be amazed at how much stuff you find....including answers to all your questions.

VernAK

WKR
The demand for fly-in hunts far exceeds the supply and therein lies your greatest obstacle.

Hunting moose and caribou both on a fly-in hunt is a real stretch.

As mentioned above, search this site for numerous threads related.

I would pick one of the two to go after if DIY. Possibly Two caribou and to moose is a logistical night mare to care for. Also some areas don’t allow both tags in the field with you. So you would have to pick. Start with the caribou and go back for moose. Your narrowing down small areas the co- habitat together to get one camping spot. You could find a transporter that offers moose & bou hunting. Hunt one for a week and be moved to the other and hunt for a week. Good luck with logistics and locking in a transporter! Search is your friend here as I been quite searching for a AK moose hunt and go back for caribou this fall.

OP
ddavis_1313
Guess I’ll use the search button again... because it worked so well the first time...

I actually try to do research before asking the questions. I’m not that damn lazy. It’s kind of insulting to know nothing in regards to a big game hunt and be a member of one of the best back country/big game forums only to get laughed at when asking about something I know little to nothing about. I joined rokslide years ago to learn about hunting and gear that doesn’t exist in Texas. Not to be a member that turns his nose up at the less educated.....

and I’m not looking to do both on the same hunt. I’m still trying to determine which one I want to target.

robie

WKR
Guess I’ll use the search button again... because it worked so well the first time...

I actually try to do research before asking the questions. I’m not that damn lazy. It’s kind of insulting to know nothing in regards to a big game hunt and be a member of one of the best back country/big game forums only to get laughed at when asking about something I know little to nothing about. I joined rokslide years ago to learn about hunting and gear that doesn’t exist in Texas. Not to be a member that turns his nose up at the less educated.....

and I’m not looking to do both on the same hunt. I’m still trying to determine which one I want to target.

This question comes up often is why people suggested using the search feature. First trip to AK most people recommend caribou because of the difficulty of moose hunting.

Click on the Caribou section of this forum and you will find several threads talking about the 40 Mile Heard. Even one titled "40 mile herd advice".

Read through some of those and about 40MileAir and TOK Air services then asks specific questions and people on here are more than happy to help. Getting pissy about people suggesting you search first isn't the best way to get help.

I’m going on my first AK moose hunt sept of this year. It has taken over a year of research thus far just to be at a point where I can start asking questions to things I haven’t been able to find on here, internet, books, or from transporters. My suggestion is to pick moose or caribou then go from there. I started my research with all the books and articles I could find and read them all numerous times. For me, literature answered a ton of my questions I had at first and got me going in the right direction as I had no clue where to start even with more fishing experience and adventures within the state than most non-residents, as this will be my first hunting trip up there.

OP
ddavis_1313
This question comes up often is why people suggested using the search feature. First trip to AK most people recommend caribou because of the difficulty of moose hunting.

Click on the Caribou section of this forum and you will find several threads talking about the 40 Mile Heard. Even one titled "40 mile herd advice".

Read through some of those and about 40MileAir and TOK Air services then asks specific questions and people on here are more than happy to help. Getting pissy about people suggesting you search first isn't the best way to get help.

Thank you. This is the type of info I was looking for

Buck2747

FNG
I bought all larrys books when I started and picked up and older one hunt Alaska now. Lots of great info in those to start with I too have been researching and reading on here and a few other forums for over a year now and still have lots of questions. I use google to type the question then click on the various forums that have that same question. Lots of notes and items to sift through.. it is a major project to develop the plan.. most are willing to offer up help but do not expect folks to share pilots/ transporters they use.

KJH

WKR
ddavis_1313:

You asked about a moose/ caribou trip and where to find big moose in AK, then say you don't know about Colorado tags and pricing. What does Colorado tags have to do with your topic?? I'm confused based on that.

I seriously thought your post was a joke and you were trying to be funny... I thought you were making a joke of the people who ask questions where to find the biggest moose and what about tag prices... All things that can easily be researched. Based on the majority of responses, I think others either thought your post was ignorant or a joke too.

I think there are some very experienced DIY caribou and moose hunters on this thread and all of us are willing to help you, but first you need to help yourself... Spend a few nights reading the caribou and moose forums here and on other sites and you'll be enlightened... I promise.

Aside from that, I guess I might be a dick, but it isn't on purpose. I thought it was a good joke you told. No disrespect intended.

Last edited:

KJH

WKR
If you are serious, here are my suggestions if I'd never done it before:

Go the the ADFG website and read/study everything you can. Learn about antler restrictions, permits, locking tags, harvest tickets, etc. Look at the statistics and maps of all the units. What are the regulations for your species hunted... i.e. does meat have to stay on the bone.

If you haven't hunted in AK before or needed a transporter, think about doing a caribou hunt. I suggest the WAC herd if you can figure out how to make that work given the current political subsistence climate.

Decide what you really want out of a trip. Build a written master list of questions... Determine your REAL budget and timeline. Figure out if you are really ready physically, emotionally, and financially to do a trip. Is "big" moose your only goal, or is a average moose on the ground OK for you. Then tailor your search to your expectations and abilities.

Find a partner that shares your own ambitions and has the skills and capabilities to do the hunt. Colorado backcountry hunting is not exactly like hunting in AK where you're flown in and weather dictates the beginning and end of your hunt (you can't hike back to your truck). A partner with the right attitude can make or break your trip. Some things will not go as planned on a AK trip, decide things like how you're going to deal with it mentally when your 12 day hunt is a now a 4 day hunt and your life savings is being spent sitting in a hangar drinking coffee or what to do when your 12 day trip turns into a 17 days in the field trip because of "no-fly" weather. (I've had both experiences).

Read every article, forum, book, etc. that you can find anywhere on the topic of hunting in AK... not just moose or caribou. Watch videos. Focus on hunt reviews, like you'll find here from recent first timers are gold (I wish I had that when starting out AK hunting- I'd have saved a lot of hard knocks education)

Research outfitters and transporters. Call many of them. As a first time customer, be prepared to book with a transporter early and send a deposit as soon as its practical.

You'll need some help while in AK, especially in a village. Figure out what help you might need and ask transporters what help the provide.

Ask specific questions that you haven't been able to get answered here or elsewhere. Send PMs.

There is much more than I'm writing here, but this gives you a few ideas. I've had at least 10 calls in the last 12 months with people in your very situation. You'll find plenty of people who are willing to help, but don't start with "where will I find bigger moose". I think that gives people the wrong impression.

Last edited:
Getting pissy about people suggesting you search first isn't the best way to get help.

100%. Calling someone on here a d--- is straight out insulting and crude. An apology is in order.

I'll only speak for myself and say my suggestion to use the search function was intended to help the OP access more information in a faster way. The comments regarding the topic coming up frequently are true, and it can become tough to get thorough answers.

OP
ddavis_1313
If you are serious, here is my suggestions if I'd never done it before:

Go the the ADFG website and read/study everything you can. Learn about antler restrictions, permits, locking tags, harvest tickets, etc. Look at the statistics and maps of all the units. What are the regulations for your species hunted... i.e. does meat have to stay on the bone.

If you haven't hunted in AK before or needed a transporter, think about doing a caribou hunt. I suggest the WAC herd if you can figure out how to make that work given the current political subsistence climate.

Decide what you really want out of a trip. Build a written master list of questions... Determine your REAL budget and timeline. Figure out if you are really ready physically, emotionally, and financially to do a trip. Is "big" moose your only goal, or is a average moose on the ground OK for you. Then tailor your search to your expectations and abilities.

Find a partner that shares your own ambitions and has the skills and capabilities to do the hunt. Colorado backcountry hunting is not exactly like hunting in AK where you're flown in and weather dictates the beginning and end of your hunt (you can't hike back to your truck). A partner with the right attitude can make or break your trip. Some things will not go as planned on a AK trip, decide things like how you're going to deal with it mentally when your 12 day hunt is a now a 4 day hunt and your life savings is being spent sitting in a hangar drinking coffee or what to do when your 12 day trip turns into a 17 days in the field trip because of "no-fly" weather. (I've had both experiences).

Read every article, forum, book, etc. that you can find anywhere on the topic of hunting in AK... not just moose or caribou. Watch videos. Focus on hunt reviews, like you'll find here from recent first timers are gold (I wish I had that when starting out AK hunting- I'd have saved a lot of hard knocks education)

Research outfitters and transporters. Call many of them. As a first time customer, be prepared to book with a transporter early and send a deposit as soon as its practical.

You'll need some help while in AK, especially in a village. Figure out what help you might need and ask transporters what help the provide.

Ask specific questions that you haven't been able to get answered here or elsewhere. Send PMs.

There is much more than I'm writing here, but this gives you a few ideas. I've had at least 10 calls in the last 12 months with people in your very situation. You'll find plenty of people who are willing to help, but don't start with "where will I find bigger moose". I think that gives people the wrong impression.

Sorry for the confusion as I meant to type caribou and not Colorado tags. I’m very familiar with Colorado and hunt elk there currently. As far as finding a partner, that will be difficult. I can’t get my friends to go to Colorado and hunt elk much less go to Alaska. And I’m perfectly fine going solo for a caribou if it comes down to it. Same reason I solo hunt in Colorado. As far as physically, I’m sure I can handle a caribou within a mile of camp in a drop location as from the research I’ve done and people I’ve talked with have said that this is what to be expected during the migration.

I wasn’t implying on wanting to know exactly where big moose are but more wondering what region typically holds bigger moose. That way it narrows my search from an entire state to a region that I can dissect and research. Just like Colorado, not every unit hold big bulls as far as average size. Some units consider a raghorn to be a trophy.

So yes, I have a lot to research and learning to do as well as decisions to be made. And I honestly have a tough decision because I may not be able to do this trip more than once. I’d love to go several times but it just may not be feasible being from Houston Texas.

Just Google and call every transporter that comes up until their availability and your itinerary match up....they can tell you their success rates for a given hunt, gear lists, etc....hunting forums are not very productive for this type of query....nobody here wants to take your money.... :D