School me on lead-free bullets

I am probably suffering a little bit of paranoia from getting older, but I am kicking around switching to lead-free bullets. I'm primarily a bow hunter but still like to rifle hunt for mule deer and antelope. Most of my shots are less than 500 yards and so I am thinking of switching over to lead-free bullets. What are the best ones for reaching out to 500 yards? I have looked into Barnes TTSX, Nosler e-Tips, Hornady GMX and Hammer bullets. But like trying to compare anything on the internet, there really isn't a front runner that I can find. I'd like to hear some first hand experience from guys who have used these bullets. Thanks.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm no expert but the most common answers I've seen to the best bullet question is what shoots best in your particular gun. I think you have already identified the usual suspects. Decide on a weight and try them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Lots of prior replies on this but I've used barnes while hunting since 2014 (mainly the 145gr lrx in 7mm, some 168ttsx 30cal). I've never lost a critter, I shoot for the heart (through the shoulder if needed) and keep impact velocity over 2100-2200fps. I do not shoot rear lungs. The combo has worked on close to 2 dozen animals antelope thru bull elk.

I am trying the 181 hammers in a 300wsm currently but haven't killed a critter with them yet, they shoot nicely though.

500yd part: whatever one you can keep the velocity up at impact in your caliber, if needed its better to drop bullet weight in monos (assuming the BC drop doesn't scrub off the increased initial velocity). DO NOT hit a critter with them moving slowly, thats where you don't get good expansion.

Austink47

WKR
My buddies and I all use copper for big game. The barns TTSX work great. We all shoot pretty standard 30 cal loads and take pretty conservative shots (sub 500). Everything I have seen shot with a TTSX has been extremely dead. I consider not worrying about feeding my daughter or other critters lead a bonus, but would shoot them based on terminal performance alone. This is just the perspective of a regular guy, by no means an authority on the matter.

OP
JohnyRingo
I am trying the 181 hammers in a 300wsm currently but haven't killed a critter with them yet, they shoot nicely though.

Have you had any issues with handloading the long 181 Hammers in your reloading press?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
When I was doing a charge ladder and got up into the heavier compressed loads the bullet tip jammed into my RCBS seating stem (and on the press stroke it actually pulled the bullet back out after seating it), otherwise no. A VLD bullet type seating stem would address that though. Is that what you were getting at, the sleek front?

OP
JohnyRingo
When I was doing a charge ladder and got up into the heavier compressed loads the bullet tip jammed into my RCBS seating stem (and on the press stroke it actually pulled the bullet back out after seating it), otherwise no. A VLD bullet type seating stem would address that though. Is that what you were getting at, the sleek front?

Yep. This was exactly what I was asking about.

TomM

FNG
I’ve had good luck getting TSX and TTSX’s to shoot well. A sample of one critter fell very dead, but hit spine. I am going to use them this year on Antelope. The E-tip requires a little more attention when working up a load as Nosler recommends reducing the charge when using conventional bullet load data.

Broz

WKR
You will be Hard Pressed to find any mono type bullets for hunting better than the Cutting Edge Bullets Lazer line. The accuracy, ease to work up loads, and terminal performance is second to none. Not to mention the people there are awesome and support a lot of shooting events and all types of hunting.

Rob5589

WKR
Being from CA, we have to use lead free for everything now. Sigh... Anyway, I went through a bunch of copper mono bullet information with guys that use them and landed on the TTSX. All the advice I received was to drop down in weight and push them as fast as safely and accurately possible. In my daughters 7/08 I loaded a 120 at 3150 out of a totally stock T3 that shoots 5/8" at 100 yds for 5 rounds. So accuracy is very good, but she has yet to kill anything (first year was last season). I am going to rifle hunt with her this year and have started working on a 7RM load with the 140 TTSX and R22. Hopefully it will go the same way accuracy wise.

I've seen a few deer and two elk shot at less than 200 yards with the Hornady and Nosler monos , the bullet performance was horrible ,I wouldn't use them .

brsnow

WKR
I used GMX 150 out of a .308 on elk/deer from 80-250yards and did not have to track, all died within sight.

I’ve had good luck getting TSX and TTSX’s to shoot well. A sample of one critter fell very dead, but hit spine. I am going to use them this year on Antelope. The E-tip requires a little more attention when working up a load as Nosler recommends reducing the charge when using conventional bullet load data.
Actually, what Nosler recommends is reducing STARTING loads, plus maybe providing a little "jump" (which means no lands contact, which is foolish IMO anyway) then work up as normal … in "some" rifles, not all, the velocities will be somewhat below normal bonded core bullets - I have found that using TETRA OIL to condition my bores eliminates most to all of this phenomenon altogether, it's easy and quick with absolutely no adverse effects or idiosyncrasies

Being from CA, we have to use lead free for everything now. Sigh... Anyway, I went through a bunch of copper mono bullet information with guys that use them and landed on the TTSX. All the advice I received was to drop down in weight and push them as fast as safely and accurately possible. In my daughters 7/08 I loaded a 120 at 3150 out of a totally stock T3 that shoots 5/8" at 100 yds for 5 rounds. So accuracy is very good, but she has yet to kill anything (first year was last season). I am going to rifle hunt with her this year and have started working on a 7RM load with the 140 TTSX and R22. Hopefully it will go the same way accuracy wise.
TTSX's in lighter weights for caliber work awesome for me too - In 270 WSM the 130 is absolutely foolproof IME limited as it is

Barnes TTSX bullet weight should be 10% less than cup & core bullet weight. They have been very accurate in everything I shot them out of, .270, 30/06, and .340 Weatherby. Hogs and deer shot with .270 and 30/06 have dropped within sight. Elk shot with the .340 dropped where they stood.

Anyone try the Barnes LRX? I’m thinking of loading some up for a tikka 300 wm now that California forces us to use copper. I’ve killed quite a few animals with the 120-150 grain ttsx and regular tsx and all died but ran a bit before tipping over. Save for an antelope doe this year that hit the dirt hard 380 yards.

mtmuley

WKR
You will be Hard Pressed to find any mono type bullets for hunting better than the Cutting Edge Bullets Lazer line. The accuracy, ease to work up loads, and terminal performance is second to none. Not to mention the people there are awesome and support a lot of shooting events and all types of hunting.
Hammers have the same things you described. Another option. mtmuley

Broz

WKR
Hammers have the same things you described. Another option. mtmuley
Well, that could be where our opinions differ I guess. I am not usually a tipped bullet fan, but in a mono, I like the insurance a tipped bullet brings to the table. Not saying both wont do the job, just saying they are not the same bullets.