School me on Nightforce - SHV vs NXS

I am in the midst of some “upgrades“ on my main boomer and kicking around the idea of some new glass. Use is whitetail to mule deer. Max 400 yards.

I am focused on 2 nightforce options:

- NXS 2.5-10 x 42 - $1,600.
- SHV 3-10 x 42 - $985

I think i have some understanding of the differences between them but curious if anyone has anything to offer. Basically a what do you get for $600 more question.

not looking for input of suggestions apart from Nightforce. Thanks.

Bratch

Lil-Rokslider
Here is an older thread discussing these two, I have been researching them as well.

Zero stop, exposed elevation, exposed windage, MIL-r option, parallax adjustable, throw lever. = $difference
All the above reasons plus if weight makes a difference the NXS is a couple ozs lighter weight.

One other thing to think about - and this has nothing to do with cost is the NXS Compact is a really short scope, the SHV is even shorter. If you plan on mounting either one on a long action you will run into issues unless you use a rail. Even on the short action its tough depending on action. I have 2 of the NXS in Talley Lwt lows and can just barely get them mounted far enough back to get them just right. It would be even tougher to do with the SHV.

Ram94

WKR
All the above reasons plus if weight makes a difference the NXS is a couple ozs lighter weight.

One other thing to think about - and this has nothing to do with cost is the NXS Compact is a really short scope, the SHV is even shorter. If you plan on mounting either one on a long action you will run into issues unless you use a rail. Even on the short action its tough depending on action. I have 2 of the NXS in Talley Lwt lows and can just barely get them mounted far enough back to get them just right. It would be even tougher to do with the SHV.
They have the same mounting length (5.1”)
I had no issues with the mounting position of the SHV on a Tikka action without a rail fwiw.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
SHV:
•Entry-level Nightforce® riflescope
•Developed for all around use
•High-Quality glass with simplified features
•Best selling MOAR reticle
•ZeroSet™ elevation or capped adjustments

NXS:
•Hard-use Nightforce® product line
•Legacy product line that established Nightforce within the marketplace
•Used by elite military snipers and warfighters
•High-quality glass and features
•Positive clicks for windage and elevation dialing
•ZeroStop™ elevation adjustment

NX8:
•New generation Nightforce® product line with NXS-type ruggedness in a mid-range F1 option
•8x magnification zoom ratio
•Compact and lightweight
•Built for extreme durability

ATACR:
•Highest level product Nightforce® has to offer
•Most advanced technology features
•Used by long range competitors, elite military units and extreme long range hunters
•ED Glass with high performance features
•ZeroStop™ /ZeroHold™ elevation adjustments
•Power Throw Lever integrated to magnification ring
•Digillum™ – digital reticle illumination
•Flip-up caps standard

I went through the same quandary as you when i returned from a WY elk hunt this fall. The scope on my rifle did not hold zero after bouncing around on horseback on my backcountry trip. I ended up getting an NXS for my elk rifle and a SHV for my deer rifle. If you don’t have any extreme backcountry horseback hunts in your future I think you would be happy with the SHV.

Super tag

WKR
It’s hard to go wrong with the NXS if you have the budget, In MHO the NXS is the best all around and best value available. It’s hard for me to imagine needing more than the NXS for hunting, unless personal preference of course, as far as needs it will do whatever you can do.

I have an NXS that I’ve used and abused for many years now and the rifles still holds the original zero.

LaHunter

WKR
As per my conversation with a NF CS rep, the glass is the same in the SHV and NXS scopes.
Also, the SHV models without exposed elevation turrets are not considered totally waterproof without the caps on.
I think I read somewhere that the SHV and NXS use the same 'body', but not 100% sure about this.
I have 3 NF SHV scopes with the exposed elevation turret with the 'Zero Set' feature and it functions perfectly.

They have the same mounting length (5.1”)
I had no issues with the mounting position of the SHV on a Tikka action without a rail fwiw.
Good to know - I was only looking at overall length which I think is just a little shorter on the SHV and also the eye piece which looks longer but maybe isn't.

SHV:
•Entry-level Nightforce® riflescope
•Developed for all around use
•High-Quality glass with simplified features
•Best selling MOAR reticle
•ZeroSet™ elevation or capped adjustments

NXS:
•Hard-use Nightforce® product line
•Legacy product line that established Nightforce within the marketplace
•Used by elite military snipers and warfighters
•Positive clicks for windage and elevation dialing
•ZeroStop™ elevation adjustment

NX8:
•New generation Nightforce® product line with NXS-type ruggedness in a mid-range F1 option
•8x magnification zoom ratio
•Compact and lightweight
•Built for extreme durability

ATACR:
•Highest level product Nightforce® has to offer
•Most advanced technology features
•Used by long range competitors, elite military units and extreme long range hunters
•ED Glass with high performance features
•ZeroStop™ /ZeroHold™ elevation adjustments
•Power Throw Lever integrated to magnification ring
•Digillum™ – digital reticle illumination
•Flip-up caps standard
Doug,
For the SHV you didn't describe it as being as rugged as the NXS or NX8. Do you feel that maybe it's not as able to withstand hard use?

Thanks!

wapitibob

WKR
SHV is a non bonded price point scope very similar to the vortex pst; both made in the same plant. The nxs, also made in the same plant, is substantially more robust than the shv because NF takes it apart and bonds it back together.

IMHO, the SHV scopes are great for the price. I have had a NXS 3.5-15x and the SHV 3-10. I still have the SHV but not the NXS. I found the NXS 3.5-15x to be overkill for my needs and it came with a weight penalty. Be aware that if you have time to remove the cap on the SHV, you can dial them just fine. Once sighted in, you can quickly reset them to zero and you can make your own zero stop (that fits under the cap) with a piece of PVC pipe. It won't be precise enough to let you stop at exact zero but will stop you close (on the correct rotation). That said, I'm considering a NXS 2.5-10x 42 myself for a new rifle as they are smaller and lighter than the NXS 3.5-15 and have the parallax adjustment (SHV does not) .

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Is the mounting length really the same ? I have read the nxs has slightly more space? Can anyone confirm? The SHV is just slightly short of my preferred mounting location with Hawkins hybrid rings.

Is the mounting length really the same ? I have read the nxs has slightly more space? Can anyone confirm? The SHV is just slightly short of my preferred mounting location with Hawkins hybrid rings.
According to the NF website both scopes of 5.1" of mounting length. The NXS is a couple ozs lighter and to my eye anyway it still looks like you have more room - the SHV ocular looks longer but probably isn't.

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
According to the NF website both scopes of 5.1" of mounting length. The NXS is a couple ozs lighter and to my eye anyway it still looks like you have more room - the SHV ocular looks longer but probably isn't.
Thank you, going to o give it a go, has slightly longer eye relief as well. Worst case will go with rail, but really like the Hawkins hybrids

Thank you, going to o give it a go, has slightly longer eye relief as well. Worst case will go with rail, but really like the Hawkins hybrids
If going with a short action you might be OK depending on the action. Here is on mounted on a short action Borden Alpine in low Talleys and another short action Defiance Rebel, also in low Talleys. In both I have just enough to get proper eye relief, on the Rebel had to turn the front ring around to make it work which is fine.