school...this fall

handwerk

WKR
Being married to a teacher I am well aware of the tough decisions that are coming with regards to opening school of some sort.
So what if we put things on pause and not open school for a year? I think we'd be money ahead and save countless lives...it's amazing to see the things the schools/teachers are trying to figure out to try and make a go of it with so many unknowns.

Dear God no! My wife is a teacher also and she is so ready to go back to school it's not even funny!

She is also concerned about sickness and everything covid. But we have a good district and they are requiring shields and masks for everyone. I think if done correctly it can be done well.

I hold the view that this shit is going to be with us for a long time. While i think certain precautions are important and necessary, a long term solution is going require us to learn to proceed with our lives despite the threat.

distance learning was a shit show. Lots of people saying the learning efficacy was way low and the lack of social interaction is impacting kids in other bad ways.

gotta figure out how to get kids as close to normal as can be done safely.

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
My wife also works in a school as a speech therapist. She is dying to get back to see her kids. Distance learning did nothing for the kids she typically worked with because they are all under the age of 6.

However, we have another issue to consider because she is 4 months pregnant. We talk every night not knowing what the right thing to do is. She has had multiple doctors tell her very differing opinions on how she should handle this school year.

I think there is a lot of evidence to show there isn't a ton of risk in opening the schools back up. Most of the schools in Europe have been open for awhile and they have much less spread than us. I wish there was more info on what the risk factors were for certain groups of people so we could make a more educated decisions.

SonnyDay

WKR
IMHO all parents should be homeschooling--either instead of or in addition to taxpayer-funded public school (and especially if your kids attend private school... where all bets are off! But that's another topic). Good chance to get more involved in your kids' education.

But, of course, then there's reality.

School is delayed by 1 week where I am... and when they do go back it will be 2-3 days per week in person with heavy guidance on masks and distancing. Gonna present a challenge for two working parents.

From what I can see we have no idea how this virus actually affects kids versus adults... and can't even be sure if there is a single virus or if there are multiple strains now in play (that may each behave in their own ways).

I think getting kids back to school is good if it is done safely and in accordance with the guidance provided by people who actually understand the science.

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
Amen, same here...my wife is a teacher. She said that she is going to take a bridge if they don't go back...

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
High school teacher here as is my wife. We talk about this frequently. Currently waiting to hear from the state and our district for the plan this fall. I'm curious to see what type of requirements and rules will be put in place for everyone's safety. My wife and I talk about whether or not we'll be back as normal this fall and what would happen if there is a positive case with in the building. Do those exposed have to quarantine for 14 days? Does the entire school close and move to distance learning? Etc.
Whatever is decided some will be happy some will be mad.

Rob5589

WKR
The American Academy of Pediatrics & CDC say schools can be opened safely and the AAP recommends kids be in school.

Closing schools for the year means nothing if no vaccine is produced within that year.

A co-worker's wife is a teacher and she does two hours of instruction online then the kids and parents do the work at home. She spends approx 6 hrs a week putting together lesson plans and uploading them to Goggle Classroom. For full pay. She loves it.

Many teachers claim to be afraid of catching C19 from kids. Even though the transmission from kids is extremely low for reasons yet unknown. Go ahead and look up some of the teachers social media and see how afraid they are partying with friends, attending large events, marching in protests, etc.

A friend's kids attend a private school. She was required to buy desks for her two kids as well as them wearing uniforms, in home.

If schools are going to close long term, may as well homeschool so parents can do it on their schedule.

jfs82

WKR
District behaviorist here, I was back for the last three weeks working summer school with the mod/severe SpEd kids and we just got shut down again. It's a bummer, those kids get very little from distance learning (especially without parents who can devote their entire day to supporting their kids' learning). I'd much much rather be back; most parents I hear from want school to not open, but most students of kids in SpEd are desperate for school to open.

There is literally no perfect answer. Safety of being on site for staff/kids vs. efficacy of distance learning vs. school funding is usually tied to attendance vs. potential long term effects of lack of socialization. There's no right answer.

Being in a city where the covid cases are on a continuing significant escalation in which it is deemed not safe to open school by our medical professionals schools in my area including the district I work for are going with distance learning again this upcoming semester. Considering my districts staff population with at least 50% falling in the at risk range due to age, obesity diabetes... in one or more categories and the fact that the students and parents simply are not disciplined in wearing masks with many that do worn improperly based on my observations during the closure during computer distribution days, food programs... I can only imagine that Covid may have a significant negative impact on districts ability to maintain the staff members to educate students, let alone the loss of staff lives due to Covid and the above mentioned medical issues.

Considering there is a national shortage of qualified educators I can see Covid having a significant negative effect on educator numbers and future recrutement if openings are not done in the safest manner possible (which still has significant risks). However, as an educator, I also see pretty much every health issue there is with students too. Considering the current obesity rates of students in the U.S. alone with the health complications that accompany obesity alone there is a very significant threat to our student populations. The fact is that N95 masks when worn properly and only for their specified amount of time are only at bes 95% effective. Unfortunately N95 masks are not available at all here in the U'S'. The masks we currently have available have an effectiveness of 40 to 60%. The KN95 masks are not rated, as such they are an unknown. I just hope that Covid treatments make significant improvement prior to schools opening.

...Even though the transmission from kids is extremely low for reasons yet unknown. ...

Show me the science on that, because everything I read says the exact opposite. But there are groups saying that kids can't get Covid, despite the science.

4rcgoat

WKR
I hold the view that this shit is going to be with us for a long time. While i think certain precautions are important and necessary, a long term solution is going require us to learn to proceed with our lives despite the threat.

distance learning was a shit show. Lots of people saying the learning efficacy was way low and the lack of social interaction is impacting kids in other bad ways.

gotta figure out how to get kids as close to normal as can be done safely.
ABSOLUTELY

Schism

WKR
Show me the science on that, because everything I read says the exact opposite. But there are groups saying that kids can't get Covid, despite the science.

The evidence from other countries who have opened schools starts about 1 minute in. Paul also sites studies from universities, orgs and physicians supporting the claim that children are less likely to contract and spread C19.

The evidence from other countries who have opened schools starts about 1 minute in. Paul also sites studies from universities, orgs and physicians supporting the claim that children are less likely to contract and spread C19.

No, actually show me science that says that. You also need to consider the strain the information is related to, if most children simply are not exhibiting symptoms... it's just not as simple as you may like to make it.

Rob5589

WKR

Children aged nine and under were least likely to be the index patient, said Dr. Choe Young-june, a Hallym University College of Medicine assistant professor who co-led the work, although he noted that the sample size of 29 was small compared to the 1,695 20-to-29-year-olds studied.

Children with COVID-19 were also more likely to be asymptomatic than adults, which made it harder to identify index cases within that group.

"The difference in age group has no huge significance when it comes to contracting COVID-19. Children could be less likely to transmit the virus, but our data is not enough to confirm this hypothesis," said Choe.