Scope cover choice in the field

I only put a cover on the front if there's sleet/ snow. Always keep the rear pointed down or horizontal.
If you have a Leupold scope I highly recommend their aluminum ones you screw into the front.
They're solid & fit like a glove but pricey. You need to put moleskin or something similar on the top of the scope & on the front of the cap so when it flips back it doesn't make any noise.
If there's no chance of snow while I'm hunting I unscrew it & put in the pack.
I also keep it on during transporting it or while it's riding in a scabbard for protection.

If you're not worried about being fast, neoprene slip over cover (Devtron, etc.) and spray it with aerosol waterproofer.

wyosam

WKR
I used bikinis forever, tried butler ck flips a few times over the years, and they just never seemed to be reliable. Now using the Leupold flip ups, and so far they are excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used bikinis forever, tried butler ck flips a few times over the years, and they just never seemed to be reliable. Now using the Leupold flip ups, and so far they are excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There’s a reason they are stupid expensive. Talk about a money maker for them., though! Like drink and fries at a burger joint.

Leupold aluminum flip-ups tend to pop “up” in thick vegetation based upon my experience. Took mine off my VX6 HD because I got tired of fighting them.

Had one rubber Leupold scope cover (bikini) snap and break in the field. Had another snap while sitting on a rifle in the garage the first day I got it mounted. Was hot but damn.

Had two Leupold neoprene covers that tore and/or ripped their first time in the field.

Starting to see a pattern here….

Leupold aluminum flip-ups tend to pop “up” in thick vegetation based upon my experience. Took mine off my VX6 HD because I got tired of fighting them.

Had one rubber Leupold scope cover (bikini) snap and break in the field. Had another snap while sitting on a rifle in the garage the first day I got it mounted. Was hot but damn.

Had two Leupold neoprene covers that tore and/or ripped their first time in the field.

Starting to see a pattern here….
Come to think of it…. A long time ago I had a Leupold flip up on eyepiece only. I liked it but oddly enough it’s no longer on that scope. Not sure why.

Plim92

FNG
I enjoy the full coverage neoprene provides, although it is less than ideal during a close encounter. I have also had to hike back a time or 2 to find it after tossing it aside and having to move for a shot.

IME still hunting, stand hunting, and spending a week in and out of a leather scabbard, properly fitted Butler Creeks are all a guy needs. Fit can be a PIA, but when you have the right size they're bullet proof. Never had an issue.

I'm interested in hearing what the consensus is on Tried-and-true method of covering your scope in the elk hunting field is???
And why. From Flip-ups, bikini, to Neoprene. Seems like there are pros and cons to each.
It’s really wet where I live/hunt, like lots of days it rains an inch+ while I’m in the woods, have tried lots of things, but the cheap rubber bikini scope covers are the only ones I have found that reliably keep water out. When it’s not dumping I use my rapid rifle cover (also how I store my rifle)

The plastic flip ups are totally worthless to me, I constantly break them and they don’t keep water out when the weather is bad

I just buy 3 or 4 bikini covers each year because I always lose a couple or break one once in awhile if I don’t lose it fast enough

Bikini are quick to remove too if you get a hurried opportunity

Nightforce. Came with the glass.
Twist them around so where my hands go to get into position, 2 thumb flips and were shootin.