Scope for infrequent dialing

JFK

WKR
Looking for advice on a scope for infrequent dialing out to a max of around 500 yards for targets and around 400 yards for hunting. Rifle is a very accurate savage 110 that I’ve restocked and cerakoted. Currently has a vx-II in 3x9 with duplex reticle. I have a load developed for it with 110gr TTSX that’s zeroed at 200 yards with no holdovers on game out to around 300 yards...just aim high shoulder for a low shoulder POI. Problem is after 300 yards I have nothing to go off...no holdovers and no ability to reliably dial. I’d like to get a scope (and maybe a second rifle to put it on) that gives me this capability to shoot longer at targets and game...reliably. I have the shooter app as well as strelok and while I know they aren’t a replacement for going out and shooting, I’ve been bouncing the apps ballistics off multiple scope mfg’s specs to see if a bdc is better option to dialing. So far I’ve come up short due to the extremely flat trajectory of the 110gr bullet leaving the muzzle at close to 3300fps. Nikon actually matches the best but not really wanting to go that route. The heavier 130gr billets match bdc reticle much more accurately but would like to stick with the lighter bullets as They are lasers out to 300 yards where most shots happen.

Thats lead me to thinking that a compact scope with capped turrets that’s able to dial in those instances where I need it would be my best option. On the low end I’ve looked at the Leupold vx-r Patrol with mill based tmr reticle, but not that convinced on its ability to dial precisely and return to zero, and it has low profile exposed turrets. In the middle of the price range I’m looking at the Burris veracity scopes. Look decent and has a zero stop, capped turrets, but just not sure about reliability. At the top of my budget is the nightforce shv in 3x10 with the Plex reticle. I believe this scope would be just about perfect with its simple crosshair for about 90% of the shots I take, but would have the option to dial with precision if the need arose. The main drawback with the nightforce is a scope that weighs double my current vx-II, and I’d likely want to get a lighter rifle to put it in to make up some of the weight penalty of the scope. My savage would be too heavy with that scope on it.

Ami missing any scopes I should be looking at? Experienced with the scopes listed above good or bad?

...and before anyone mentions it I’ve looked at the swfa 3x9. I trust it’s a great scope but just not exactly what I’m looking for with the large turrets. I really won’t be twisting them much at all.

You don't mention caliber????

If you want to dial accurately, even rarely, you will need a scope that actually dials accurately and reliably returns to zero; tha leaves you with few manufactures and rather expensive scopes comparative to a BDC scope. But with the information you provided I would imagine at 500 yards you are looking at about a 32 inch + or - drop. I cannot imagine a real need to dial to only 500 yards, although many will. If your only looking at reaching out to 500, I would not be looking at a scope that dials, unless I just wanted a scope that dials. Given the bullet weights you mention, I imagine that the bullets are not effective much over 500.

TxxAgg

WKR
Some scopes with BDC have their own app showing ballistic info. You'd have to verify in the field, but they seem very accurate inside 500 yds. Swarovski Z3 or Meopta Meopro are the two I'm familiar with.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You're shooting 110s out of a 270? The ballistics on that bullet aren't doing you any favors at all. I wouldn't even try 500yd shots with that setup on anything bigger than a whitetail. Your ft lbs of energy are going to drop quickly with that lightweight bullet. I ran numbers on a 110gr TTSX, 2660 ft lbs at the muzzle, drops to 1079ft lbs at 500. Much better ballistics on the 129LRX.
7f7a55ac6c73ff65a3139b40c742e982.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I shoot copper as well and I'm not in CA, but I look for the best blend of weight and ballistics. The sectional density on a .270 cal 110gr copper bullet leaves a lot to be desired. I think he just likes the 110 for the flat trajectory out to 300. I'd get a scope with a BDC reticle that has a ballistic program that you can find what the hashes match up with and forget about dialing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
J

JFK

WKR
Would not be shooting large game at 500. Just targets. Would probably have a 400 or so yard limit on game with any the 110’s or the 129 lrx fit that matter out of a 270. I guess what I’m looking for is a way to accurately holdover or dial to 4-5 hundred yards. Not get close enough to ring steel, but actual accuracy with dependable results. Depending on what calc you run this bullet is about 17” low at 400 yards and 17” is hard to gauge with a duplex reticle. Can you get close? Sure. But I am looking for the most consistent way to do this. I don’t mind making bad shots at the range but I tend to believe I owe an animal more than lobbing hail Mary’s their way and hoping for the best.

I looked at the 129gr lrx. Great bullet. Inside of 300-400 yards the 110gr is a better bullet out of a 270. People see the weight of it and freak out, but the ballistics and on game performance are better. I don’t put much stock in ft/lbs of energy...especially with a copper bullet. How well it works is in direct proportion to how fast it’s going when it hits the animal. Larger frontal area equals larger wound channel. Take my word for it or the Barnes employee who gave me this advice. Totally agree though that the 110 is a horrible choice for much past 400 yards for hunting.

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
JFK- I load the 110 TTSX for my 270 Win also. I agree with your rationale for using that bullet. I’m comfortable shooting mine at game with a duplex reticle out to 400. What you’re seeking in a scope really doesn’t exist. Keep practicing to build confidence in your holdovers. The wind? That’s another problem all together.

Ram94

WKR
I think for what you are after, the 3-10 SHV will suit. It comes in at 21 oz which is middle of the road and actually quite lightweight for a RELIABLE dialer.

Reliable being the key word there...

TxxAgg

WKR
Can someone chime in further on holdovers? I'd like to get by with a simple reticle out to 400 but seems like 300 is about the limit.

jmike

FNG
Check out Kenton Industries. They make turrets for most brands of scopes and they have their own Ballistics app for when you hunt in different locations.

Mike

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
For out to 400 the 2-7 vx2 works fine on my 270. 2" high at 100 puts the top of the bottom post POI at 400 yards on 7x. Works for a 130 ballistic tip load at 2950ish fps on that scope reticle.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The Leupold Boone N Crocket Reticle or anything similar will work just fine. You just need to understand how they work. As long as you get a 2nd focal plane scope you can "dial in" the reticle to match your rifle and load. I'll try to explain how it works. Say you have a VX-5HD 3-15x44mm scope.

1. Sight the rifle in at your desired zero range. (100 yds)
  2. Set up a tall target (think sheet of plywood) at your max distance (500 yds) with a bullseye at the top and paper at least 48" below the bullseye.
  3. Shoot a group with your rifle aimed at the bullseye using your crosshair just as you did at 100 yds.
  4. Walk out to the target and mark the center of the group so you will be able to see it in your riflescope from your shooting point. Normally circling and filling in the group with a sharpie will work.
  5. With your crosshair on the bullseye, slowly dial the zoom on your scope until your lowest hashmark is lined up with your group.
  6. Mark your scope so you'll know exactly what zoom power you were on.
  7. Now you know your main crosshair is dead on at 100 and your lowest mark is dead on at your max range of 500.
  8. The hashmarks in between will now also be very close at your intermediate ranges.
  9. Now you just need to go practice so you know your system and you're set.
I hope that makes sense?

TxxAgg

WKR
^^^ that's what I needed to read. Thanks.

Edit: saw where you said 2nd focal plane

Last edited:
OP
J

JFK

WKR
Justin, thanks for explaining that. Makes sense.

One option would be finding an "as new" or slightly used older model Swaro or kahles with TDS reticle. TDS reticle is really nice as hold-over reticles go. Best glass with no dialing. If it hasn't been registered, it would have a best in class warranty to boot! I have picked up several through the years on gunbroker and even eBay once.