Scouting during season

There is a large chunk of public land very close to my office. It's a mix of marsh/grass with some areas of higher timbered spots. I have run my dog here before but never really scouted it for deer. Really would like to do some scouting in order to hunt it during the week after work. I know it's public, but certainly don't want to disrupt others hunting by wandering around. Thoughts?

Btaylor

WKR
Go scout. If you hunt public enough either you are going to walk up on someone's hunt or they will walk up on yours. Sounds like a place you might could do a fair bit of long range scouting with glass. Might try that as a first option then move into areas that warrant a closer look.

WCB

WKR
Why don't you just grab your hunting stuff and walk in and hunt it one evening? With google earth you can normally see trails and find a good starting spot. If your going to be in there anyways might as well have a chance to shoot something.

Also, by "e-scouting" a bit you may be able to avoid likely spots guys are already hunting. If you drive through and nobody is hunting it at that time wander away. I however would avoid an area if a truck was parked and you have some sort of idea where that guy is probably hunting. I know it is public but I would be pissed if a guy was just wandering through at prime time scouting.

aachey

Lil-Rokslider
Being a public land hunter myself, if I saw you walking in, in normal clothes and possibly with your dog, I'd be pissed. On the other hand, if I saw you walk in and you appeared to be a hunter/hunting, I'd be a lot more relaxed because hunters bump into other hunters on public land. Thats the nature of public land hunting. So go slow and be courteous if you do see other hunters.

OP
longspeak74
I wouldn't be scouting with my dog, I only run her there pre-season. Being that it's close to my work, it's easy enough to monitor trucks in the parking areas. Will throw gear and bow in my truck and hunt/scout some evening.

perry296

FNG
I've had great luck figuring out a area by using a mapping service. Then when you go in scout as you work your way in to hunt.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
I try to scout public midday and prefer a rainy day but that's not imperative. Look for sign and look ahead for any hunters that are set up so you can detour around them.

I hunt public land and it doesn't get hit near as hard during the week. I think you've got the right idea with hauling your gear to work. Never know, you might get some spot and stalk action.

NYSKIER

WKR
I try to scout public midday and prefer a rainy day but that's not imperative. Look for sign and look ahead for any hunters that are set up so you can detour around them.
i second this I have access to hunt in a park through deer management and I only scout if I see no other trucks around or if it's raining hard. I did it last Sunday and jumped a few does hopefully it pays off

Just walk about 1/4-1/2 mile from any parking lot or trail and you'll eliminate the chance of running into 90% of all the hunters.