Scouting Trip Tips

jdwelch93

FNG
I've been planning a DIY hunt to Colorado for a while now. I had finally pulled the trigger to try it this September, but due to baby #2 expecting to be born 9/6, I've had to push the hunt until 2024. I've never been out west but spent extensive time in the backcountry of the Appalachian Mountains. Part of the plan was a scouting trip this summer that I didn’t cancel. I have a 4-day trip planned mid-July to get eyes on the unit and hopefully dial in the hunting plan. I plan on spending 3 days backpacking, but I want to make sure I'm prepared for what to expect this time of the year. If anyone could provide insight, I'd be very thankful.

1. How accurate has water shown on OnX correlated to what's in the field? We will be around 10,000' elevation for most of the time. Do the "dotted" line streams usually have water or only the "solid" line creeks? (In the Appalachian Mountains water access is never an issue.)
2. Is there a website that provides remotely accurate weather for wilderness areas or peaks? Or is the best option to look at a nearby town? Mainly wondering about temperatures for mid-July at the higher elevations.
3. How bad are ticks and mosquitoes at higher elevations? I typically go floorless on the shelter but could bring the nest if they're really bad.
4. Any other major tips for western wilderness backcountry that I might need to know coming from the eastern US?
5. Plane tickets aren’t refundable, so I’m committed regardless.

Speck1

Lil-Rokslider
The dotted blue line streams do not have water where I hunt in Colorado. The solid lines usually do. I usually go up mid July as well. Temps are usually 50’s to 70’s at 10k feet. Never had any tick issues even though there are cows around my area. Some mosquitoes but not terrible. Be prepared for storms. They can get ugly in a hurry.

OP
J

jdwelch93

FNG
The dotted blue line streams do not have water where I hunt in Colorado. The solid lines usually do. I usually go up mid July as well. Temps are usually 50’s to 70’s at 10k feet. Never had any tick issues even though there are cows around my area. Some mosquitoes but not terrible. Be prepared for storms. They can get ugly in a hurry.
Thanks for this info. I’m expecting some cows in this area too. Heck we might be talking about the same unit. I’ll be up there July 15-19.

ID_Snow

FNG
I've been planning a DIY hunt to Colorado for a while now. I had finally pulled the trigger to try it this September, but due to baby #2 expecting to be born 9/6, I've had to push the hunt until 2024. I've never been out west but spent extensive time in the backcountry of the Appalachian Mountains. Part of the plan was a scouting trip this summer that I didn’t cancel. I have a 4-day trip planned mid-July to get eyes on the unit and hopefully dial in the hunting plan. I plan on spending 3 days backpacking, but I want to make sure I'm prepared for what to expect this time of the year. If anyone could provide insight, I'd be very thankful.

1. How accurate has water shown on OnX correlated to what's in the field? We will be around 10,000' elevation for most of the time. Do the "dotted" line streams usually have water or only the "solid" line creeks? (In the Appalachian Mountains water access is never an issue.)
2. Is there a website that provides remotely accurate weather for wilderness areas or peaks? Or is the best option to look at a nearby town? Mainly wondering about temperatures for mid-July at the higher elevations.
3. How bad are ticks and mosquitoes at higher elevations? I typically go floorless on the shelter but could bring the nest if they're really bad.
4. Any other major tips for western wilderness backcountry that I might need to know coming from the eastern US?
Re: bugs. Has everything to do with proximity to water, time since snowmelt, and breeze. Dry camp somewhere with a breeze somewhere that there hasn’t been snow for a month, and it should be fine. A mosquito headnet and wind-clothes are good insurance, and way lighter than a shelter floor.

OP
J

jdwelch93

FNG
Good info. I'd much rather go floorless. I run the Seek Cimarron, so my buddy and I could split the shelter to save weight if we had to. Might be a game time decision.

Dotted lines, no water. But maybe a seep or wet spot with a wallow. Get your weather from a Garmin Inreach. No ticks or mosquitoes.

Your time is limited. Pick out several high vantage points and set up there. Glass for animals but also pull out the topo and look closely and land features and learn the lay of the land from up there.

Learn your main access routes. Drop waypoints. But don’t attempt to hike all over the place to learn it. Just get the big picture for now.

WKR

There is snow and water everywhere this year. Finding water won’t likely be a problem. Avoiding snow will be. The mosquitos will be biblical this year due to the amount of water.

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in Idaho so take this for what it’s worth. Personally I get eaten alive by mosquitoes anywhere in the backcountry here regardless of how dry or wet it is, if it’s over 65 degrees they are out.

Personally I’ve left my house and it’s 70 degrees and I drive an hour up into the mountains and that night there’s a blizzard. It’s absolutely possible. Unlikely before the 15 of September here but I don’t know about Colorado, but it’s higher so I’d assume there’s a chance. I’d bring a puffy just in case though.

Here in Idaho finding water up high is difficult after the Fourth of July, this year will be later because of the snowpack. Usually I rely on a few springs I know of that are running year round. When I’m going to an area I haven’t been before I bring more water than I think I need until I figure out what the situation is.

Good luck

OP
J

jdwelch93

FNG
All of this is exactly what I was looking for when I posted this thread. Thanks for the information guys.

bozeman

WKR
Four days and how many spots you got picked out? I’d start with ensuring access to where you plan on hunting. Maps and roads don’t always match. Just my .02

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
Good thread. Sorry I don't have much to contribute but was impressed by your questions versus the usuals.

OP
J

jdwelch93

FNG
Four days and how many spots you got picked out? I’d start with ensuring access to where you plan on hunting. Maps and roads don’t always match. Just my .02
Everything I can find on the internet other than blasting the exact trailhead in this thread seems to note fairly good access. I’ve got 3 to 4 areas/trails with various distances from a main road, but only one trail is my focus on this trip due to the time I’ve got.

Poser

WKR
I was out and about in the San Juan high country this past weekend ( June 17) and it snowed 3-5 inches across the range overnight. The peaks are still snowed in, many roads still undrivable, some gates still closed, high lakes still frozen and most anything North facing is basically still winter. (See pics below).

Aside from that, with such a short window to scout (and while that is time well spent, there is limited ground you can cover in that timeframe), do not, repeat do not fall for the classic trap of summer scouting because you will see elk everywhere. They just now are moving back into the high country and are hitting green slopes anywhere and everywhere. What you see now won’t tell you much about the fall so don’t spend too much time looking at elk out lounging in the tundra vs. covering ground. They won’t be acting that way coke fall not will they necessarily be in the same areas.

2d85567675b2ec517109107a51227556.jpg

b11439e942796d8db8080590cdbd2502.jpg

248c73406d268173d8ffc28cb94f0054.jpg

OP
J

jdwelch93

FNG
I was out and about in the San Juan high country this past weekend ( June 17) and it snowed 3-5 inches across the range overnight. The peaks are still snowed in, many roads still undrivable, some gates still closed, high lakes still frozen and most anything North facing is basically still winter. (See pics below).

Aside from that, with such a short window to scout (and while that is time well spent, there is limited ground you can cover in that timeframe), do not, repeat do not fall for the classic trap of summer scouting because you will see elk everywhere. They just now are moving back into the high country and are hitting green slopes anywhere and everywhere. What you see now won’t tell you much about the fall so don’t spend too much time looking at elk out lounging in the tundra vs. covering ground. They won’t be acting that way coke fall not will they necessarily be in the same areas.

2d85567675b2ec517109107a51227556.jpg

b11439e942796d8db8080590cdbd2502.jpg

248c73406d268173d8ffc28cb94f0054.jpg
Fingers crossed there will be a little less snow 4 weeks from now.

Duly noted on not expecting elk to be in the same area. I think my biggest take away will be establishing realistic expectations of how far I can pack in and actively hunt. I'll at least be familiar with the access and have put boots on the ground rather than just looking at maps on OnX.