Scouting Trip Tips

If you're not used to the altitude, it's a real thing to be taken seriously. An early trip to see what's it's like will help. It usually warms up great on a sunny day, so I wear a light weight, long sleeve shirt with hood, all kinds of outdoor brands and hunting brands make them. It can be super cold too, so layers are key. If the forecast is for sun, it's likely you'll have several layers on to keep warm early morning, then as you get moving you'll be stripping down and need to put them in a pack, because they'll likely go back on if a storm rolls in or when evening comes.

Not knowing your exact area I would have a plan to not backpack it the entire time. A lot of learning an area can be done by finding different access points, glassing and day trips in and out of an area. I would not be looking for “spots” to set up and focus on (specific trails, wallows, food sources, etc). Learn the macro features of the area that will be attractive to elk, figure out access to all of them that could be hunt options.

With snow this year, check out some nearby snotel stations for snow and temps data

OP
J

jdwelch93

FNG
If you're not used to the altitude, it's a real thing to be taken seriously. An early trip to see what's it's like will help. It usually warms up great on a sunny day, so I wear a light weight, long sleeve shirt with hood, all kinds of outdoor brands and hunting brands make them. It can be super cold too, so layers are key. If the forecast is for sun, it's likely you'll have several layers on to keep warm early morning, then as you get moving you'll be stripping down and need to put them in a pack, because they'll likely go back on if a storm rolls in or when evening comes.
I’m definitely not used to the altitude. Area I live in is 350ft above sea level. However, I’d like to think I’m in better than average shape, and I’ve routinely ran 3-5 miles multiple days a week for the last year. I’m glad you specifically noted what you wear. I’ve been trying to figure out what I should wear/pack and this helps tremendously.

OP
J

jdwelch93

FNG
Not knowing your exact area I would have a plan to not backpack it the entire time. A lot of learning an area can be done by finding different access points, glassing and day trips in and out of an area. I would not be looking for “spots” to set up and focus on (specific trails, wallows, food sources, etc). Learn the macro features of the area that will be attractive to elk, figure out access to all of them that could be hunt options.

With snow this year, check out some nearby snotel stations for snow and temps data
That’s a lot of my plan. Find a camping spot in one basin and glass, then maybe move to a second basin and glass. With only a few days, we might only get to check out one spot, but I am hoping from the glassing knobs I’ve marked we can cover a lot of country with glass. We are planning on going in and out on the same trail, but best I can tell it goes through a couple basins. Hoping we can get to the furthest on day 1 and then work back.

Derbooze

FNG
I’m definitely not used to the altitude. Area I live in is 350ft above sea level. However, I’d like to think I’m in better than average shape, and I’ve routinely ran 3-5 miles multiple days a week for the last year. I’m glad you specifically noted what you wear. I’ve been trying to figure out what I should wear/pack and this helps tremendously.
While being physically fit helps, everyone's body acclimates to altitude differently. Plenty of elite athletes would be hard pressed to go from 350 ft to 10,000 ft in one day. Not knowing your plans, just be sure to give yourself some flexibility in case you start to feel symptoms of altitude sickness. Headaches and nausea are the key ones to look out for.

cnelk

WKR
I wouldnt waste time glassing in July. How do you know the elk will be there when you hunt?

Lace up those boots and go look for rubs, seeps, trails and and places elk hang out during hunting season. You wont find that glassing.

I bring my windicator when I scout because the thermals/prevailing wind will be generally the same when you hunt.

There's a few other things I do when I scout for good elk areas, but I learned them the hard way.

OP
J

jdwelch93

FNG
While being physically fit helps, everyone's body acclimates to altitude differently. Plenty of elite athletes would be hard pressed to go from 350 ft to 10,000 ft in one day. Not knowing your plans, just be sure to give yourself some flexibility in case you start to feel symptoms of altitude sickness. Headaches and nausea are the key ones to look out for.
It’s definitely something I’m concerned about. It’s gonna be a massive change, so we’re gonna be as careful as we can be. If it gets bad, we’ll back off and head back to town. I’m not sure of a way to adjust slowly in such a short trip.

OP
J

jdwelch93

FNG
I wouldnt waste time glassing in July. How do you know the elk will be there when you hunt?

Lace up those boots and go look for rubs, seeps, trails and and places elk hang out during hunting season. You wont find that glassing.

I bring my windicator when I scout because the thermals/prevailing wind will be generally the same when you hunt.

There's a few other things I do when I scout for good elk areas, but I learned them the hard way.
I’m gonna try to mix in a little of both. Never been to the area or elk hunted, so I’ll probably glass some and check out spots I think are interesting. Just gonna learn as I go and enjoy it. Probably learn some of those same things you learned the hard way and that’s what will make it fun in the end.

Derbooze

FNG
It’s definitely something I’m concerned about. It’s gonna be a massive change, so we’re gonna be as careful as we can be. If it gets bad, we’ll back off and head back to town. I’m not sure of a way to adjust slowly in such a short trip.
With 4 days you have a lot of options, but the key is to hike up higher than you plan to camp. I left CO about 10 years ago and now live in WI, so I appreciate that acclimatization you will need! The key is to start low and camp a little higher each night. You can hike up high, as long as you descend to an elevation that is more comfortable. With a 4-day backpack/scouting trip I would schedule it this way:
Day 1: base camp at 8-9,000 ft. Scout trailheads and do short hikes up ridges to glass and get eyes on the territory.
Day 2: Start a 2 night loop in one of your prime areas of interest. Camp at ~9,000 ft
Day 3: Camp at up to 10,500, but be flexible based on what your body says. You may be fine going higher, but you may need to stay lower too.
Day 4: wrap up the trip, maybe scout some access points on your way out.

I generally never had problems with bugs in CO unless I was near a marshy area. I've backpacked several times with just a tarp on ground. Your Seek Cimarron will be just fine.

As for weather, it can change on a dime. I normally just get a local forecast, but https://www.mountain-forecast.com/ may be a good resource. Keep in mind, weather varies from one side of the mountain to the other. In the mountains, if you don't like the weather, wait ten minutes. If you still don't like it, drive 10 miles!

OP
J

jdwelch93

FNG
With 4 days you have a lot of options, but the key is to hike up higher than you plan to camp. I left CO about 10 years ago and now live in WI, so I appreciate that acclimatization you will need! The key is to start low and camp a little higher each night. You can hike up high, as long as you descend to an elevation that is more comfortable. With a 4-day backpack/scouting trip I would schedule it this way:
Day 1: base camp at 8-9,000 ft. Scout trailheads and do short hikes up ridges to glass and get eyes on the territory.
Day 2: Start a 2 night loop in one of your prime areas of interest. Camp at ~9,000 ft
Day 3: Camp at up to 10,500, but be flexible based on what your body says. You may be fine going higher, but you may need to stay lower too.
Day 4: wrap up the trip, maybe scout some access points on your way out.

I generally never had problems with bugs in CO unless I was near a marshy area. I've backpacked several times with just a tarp on ground. Your Seek Cimarron will be just fine.

As for weather, it can change on a dime. I normally just get a local forecast, but https://www.mountain-forecast.com/ may be a good resource. Keep in mind, weather varies from one side of the mountain to the other. In the mountains, if you don't like the weather, wait ten minutes. If you still don't like it, drive 10 miles!
Thanks. This is good information. I’m ready to try it out.