Screens or no screen on tipi tent?

I’m going to purchase a SO 8-man tipi and have never bought a tipi tent before but want it for the weight saving for backpacking in a 4 man camp. Our group been just splitting the components for a Cabela’s Alaskan and want to cut the weight. My question is this...

Is it worth getting screens if the tent floor is open?

Tent will be used in TN, CO, AK and maybe more. My thinking is bugs are in the ground I just covered with the tipi, so no use for a screen. Just want some backup on that thought process.

rayporter

WKR
i have screens in a six man and a 12 man and there is very little penalty in the screens. admittedly i dont use them a lot in hot weather but i have.
i had 8 man without screens but cant remember ever using it in hot weather.

when hot it is easy to roll back the doors and ventilate well with the screen zipped up. for what they weigh i think it is worth it.

the liner is the big wt penalty. volume too.

AKDoc

WKR
Good choice with the SO...I've got a SO 4-man without screens. I've used it the past few years as a secondary shelter from the wind and rain for my hunting partner and I on two-week remote drop-hunts for moose. I've also used it as a primary shelter on remote pack-raft floats.

I've never wished I had gotten the screens. My logic was the same as yours. That said, I've only used it up here in Alaska, so I've never been in hot wx with it. BTW, adding the wood-burning stove is awesome for up here!

InkedIMG_2299_LI.jpg

VernAK

WKR
I have used a tipi and a Sawtooth for years here in Alaska and have never used the bug net doors on the tipi but I don't use them much in warm weather. We usually have frosty nights prior to moose or caribou hunts. For warmer weather, I burn a small portion of mosquito coil prior to going to bed. That will usually get rid of the ground bugs and spiders as well.

Voyageur

WKR
I think the key (as stated above) is if you use it in hot weather or not. If you are primarily going to use it in fall hunting scenarios I don't feel you really need them. If using it during the summer months it is nice to be able to ventilate at times. Just depends on how warm your temps will get.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Kifaru 6 man tipi. I bought the screens and have had very little use for them, despite camping in it year-round. Flying bugs seem to get focused up near the cone at the top of the pole. I sprayed that with permethrin which seems to knock them down if they spend too much time up there. Flying insects in the tent hasn't been much of a problem. Ticks and mice have been on occasion, but the screens won't keep them out.

OP
PurpleDriver
Thanks y’all! Glad to hear first hand experiences. I was going to get the second liner and with that added weight (16oz) the zero screens keeps that 11oz off too. I think I’m going to go no screens. I’m not much of a hot weather camper anyways! This thing will see most of its time in Bush planes and in my pack frame enroute to whatever location I can chase a large animal out of cell phone signal.

rayporter

WKR
the liner is rarely needed. i sold my liners because i did not use them. and then the day came when i wished i had one. that day does not come often. maybe once every 3 years for a few hours but when it comes you will wish you had a liner.

AKDoc

WKR
the liner is rarely needed. i sold my liners because i did not use them. and then the day came when i wished i had one. that day does not come often. maybe once every 3 years for a few hours but when it comes you will wish you had a liner.

I agree with you. I've never used the liners that I purchased with my tipi. Condensation in a tipi is a reality for sure, or at least it has been for me. However, I just make sure that I arrange my gear inside so that there is no contact at all with the tent wall as moisture may reach a point that it runs down the inside. In the morning I open both doors all the way, and it pretty much dries out completely.

Last edited:

MAVinWA

Lil-Rokslider
Based in WA, OTC archery public land in AZ, UT, so
in colder weather, Mid Oct>Dec, I don't worry about bugs so much.
late August>Oct 1, I use a Bear Paw Designs 1/2 inner tent/bath tub floor in my Kifaru Tut.
Inside the Tut, the 1/2 "bug nest" and a Thermocell can work wonders keeping clouds of skeeters at bay during earlier summer scouting trips.

OP
PurpleDriver
So is condensation worse in a tipi than a dome? I’ve always avoided contact in a dome, but it seems many recommend the liners for the tipi.

Zeus401

FNG
Used the screens on my SO 4 person tipi and never had any bugs. Agree with all the others if used in warmer weather it don’t hurt anything, if used in colder weather not necessary.

Attachments

• 9081FF62-EB26-40FB-8527-A2680021783D.jpeg
    9081FF62-EB26-40FB-8527-A2680021783D.jpeg
    466.1 KB · Views: 51

Voyageur

WKR
under certain conditions it can rain in a tipi. hail or large raindrops hitting the outside can cause the condensation to splash off inside
Exactly. Another situation that can cause the same event is an excited dog wagging his tail back and forth against the walls first thing in the morning.

Beendare

WKR
Screens for me.

these Tipis are notorious for condensation.....and leaving them open for ventilation helps everything. Having a screen is essential for early archery, Alaska and situations like those. I agree with those saying its not a factor in very cold weather.

______

rob86jeep

WKR
Spend the money on a nest instead. That way you have actual bug protection but can choose to carry the extra weight when needed.

Screens always add extra weight (whether you need them or not) and don't provide the level of bug protection that a nest will. I don't see the benefit to them.

sndmn11

WKR
I think an 8 man is a little past the point of being primarily for a backpack camp, so I would choose screens since the weight penalty is relatively minor or insignificant altogether.

OP
PurpleDriver
Rob, you make a good point with the nests. I’ll keep that in my hip pocket in case this tent sees family use.

Sndmn, the screens are only 11oz but since the goal is the no weight without need, that 11oz means something. Again, we divide our gear, tent especially, amongst 4 guys to even the loads out. At least on the way in. If we are packing meat, each of us have our own limits. Between 4 of us, that 8 man is only 3lbs 7oz for each of us. And that’s with a stove, no screen, carbon pole, half liner. Given the stove, that’s about as light as I can imagine for backpacking.

Thank you all for the inputs.

Jimss

WKR
Depends on the timing of your trip and year. If it were me I would forget about a net for Colo. There may be times in July or early August in Alaska when a net may come in handy but for the most part in Alaska I've hardly seen a bug in August and later. There's also not only weight but bulk to contend with. If you've traveled to Alaska and elsewhere via air many times you know how expensive extra baggage expenses can be. If it were me I would forget about the net! I hardly spend any time in a tent unless sleeping or weathered out anyways!

reaper

WKR
Well seriously they are useless for bugs IMO,they will get it anyways,they give good view and ventilation on hot day but if you want a real bugs proof protection go with a nest
0fc0e2e54950dd68f670d9363b669726.jpg
3ecfa1d28db88ab02bb7b2364164ac0c.jpg

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk