SD Archery Draw

Lytro

WKR
Can you show me where SD archery deer tags have been broken down to 'any deer' and 'whitetail' deer separated? My understanding is that they have never been separated like the West River rifle tags are. Since the commission announcement didn't explicitly state that archery WT deer would still be unlimited on public within the buy time frame window I figured if I wanted to hunt archery WT on public I would need to get one of these 2200 tags?

I really like the unlimited WT archery public land deer option--maybe that is still a thing but it wasn't stated so I am concerned. I hope I am mistaken.
That was an assumption. I don't think we'll see anything official regarding license quotas until the 2023 Nonresident Archery Deer Application is posted. What the OP posted is the only thing I've seen regarding any change, and I can't even locate that anywhere online.

It would make a lot more sense to me if they had "any deer" and "any whitetail" tags like the rifle seasons. However, there's a lot of stuff that gets implemented that doesn't make much sense at all.

zbb

FNG
I'm pretty sure that 3,000 for antelope was Resident and Nonresident combined. The second graphic illustrates the real problem in SD.
View attachment 519797View attachment 519801
Hey can you share where you found that? It is difficult to find this kind of info on the website. Thanks, the rest of this isn’t directed at you specifically. (Edit)- I found that info in the same PDF I linked. You’re right it’s a combination. 2142 res, 877 non-res for antelope.

Here is a link to the 2021 game report. I could not find one for 22. From Google but goes to Game and fish website.

Here’s a screens shot of the breakdown for the last 10 years.
482A7F3C-0D4D-4C9A-B4FD-6E7DCFED1F9A.png

On page 38 it shows the breakdown by county/WRD unit. Wowza, poor Harding county. I like to know how many non residents “filled the freezer”.

I don’t know why they wouldn’t just split the tags up based on a unit like for WRD with specific quotas for each. I’d also make it to where you could only apply for one tag. Archery, Hills Deer or West river deer, this coming for a guys who is now a nonresident of my home state of SD. I feel for the resident, I don’t think it will be long before you get limited for archery tags too, it’s a bummer.

Last edited:

Lytro

WKR
Hey can you share where you found that? It is difficult to find this kind of info on the website.
They're just graphics created based on the numbers published by GFP from the previous seasons license and draw statistics.

I did see today that the 2023 & 2024 season tag allotments will be finalized at the next meeting on 9 March, so this is far from a definite change at this point. I agree the tags should be for specific units, and only going as far as limiting the tags to 2,200 statewide any deer tags is missing the point. This won't do much to alleviate hunting pressure in the NW counties.

I am all for conservation and protecting deer numbers, but limiting the non-resident archery licenses looks to only save approximatey 150 mule deer bucks. So is this really for conservation, it seems like the least likley way to save deer...?

Lytro

WKR
150 deer is nearly 15% of the total harvest. That’s huge considering how small the SD mule deer population is. The bigger impact would be going from 5,800 NR hunters down to 2,200. If you’ve ever hunted public land in western SD after 1 October, you should be able to understand that.

Fatcamp

WKR
150 deer is nearly 15% of the total harvest. That’s huge considering how small the SD mule deer population is. The bigger impact would be going from 5,800 NR hunters down to 2,200. If you’ve ever hunted public land in western SD after 1 October, you should be able to understand that.

And there is no mandatory reporting in South Dakota. I have zero faith that kill numbers are being reported accurately.

I am all for conservation and protecting deer numbers, but limiting the non-resident archery licenses looks to only save approximatey 150 mule deer bucks. So is this really for conservation, it seems like the least likley way to save deer...?
Definitely for conservation. Just like the no non res hunting on public until October. Definitely about conservation.

Trial153

WKR
Yea someone in SD has some crazy pull with the DNR there. Drop of a hat they get regs changed.

I used to apply for SD archery deer every year, I would elk hunt mid and late sept then bow hunt western SD after I filled my tag before driving home. I think my last hunt was 2020 or 2019 the first year and only year they opened the NR season in sept.
Most years I did see any bucks that interested me so it was just a 300 plus donation. However it was nice to get out in the field looking for them.

Pretty much off my radar at this point now.

I saw that FB post. Did they also say they want to change SD residents to one antlered tag like Montana? Or are they cherry picking whatever data helps their cause? How many archery only deer tags do Montana and Wyoming have? Or are most archery and/or rifle? I wonder if most non res hunting MT and WY rifle hunt? Or come back with a rifle if they don’t kill a mature buck archery hunting.

It’s fine to say it how it is. “We want less competition.” Don’t pretend it’s anything but that. If it was about conservation and quality they would be limiting residents to 1 antlered tag. I don’t see a push for that though.

Fatcamp

WKR
Unlimited mule deer tags are unrealistic. Changes are coming for everyone, everywhere.

KurtR

WKR
I saw that FB post. Did they also say they want to change SD residents to one antlered tag like Montana? Or are they cherry picking whatever data helps their cause? How many archery only deer tags do Montana and Wyoming have? Or are most archery and/or rifle? I wonder if most non res hunting MT and WY rifle hunt? Or come back with a rifle if they don’t kill a mature buck archery hunting.

It’s fine to say it how it is. “We want less competition.” Don’t pretend it’s anything but that. If it was about conservation and quality they would be limiting residents to 1 antlered tag. I don’t see a push for that though.
Sounds good to me switch it one mule deer per person. No more shooting does till population increases and no more otc tags for archery for any one. Take rifle season out of the rut and cut archery down a month on the end. A real kicker would be to get the reservation to do any thing but good luck with that.

Airborne

FNG
If anyone wonders about the WT vs Mule deer archery tag issue, I sent an email to the SD DNR. I will paraphrase their response:

The commission isn't looking at separating the OTC Public Land WT from the Mule Deer meaning if you want to hunt WT on public you will need to draw one of these any deer tags. They said the concern was more about crowding on public land.

I sent a public comment in to the commission regarding my desire for them to separate archery public tags from WT and any deer. If you have an opinion on this you better share it! Here is the link below. Bitching about it on Rokslide doesn't do a damned thing, but sending comments in might help...maybe...probably not by maybe

Fatcamp

WKR
Sounds good to me switch it one mule deer per person. No more shooting does till population increases and no more otc tags for archery for any one. Take rifle season out of the rut and cut archery down a month on the end. A real kicker would be to get the reservation to do any thing but good luck with that.

GET DA PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES BOYS!!!

The commission isn't looking at separating the OTC Public Land WT from the Mule Deer meaning if you want to hunt WT on public you will need to draw one of these any deer tags. They said the concern was more about crowding on public land.

But it’s all about conservation!!!

So how many tags should be given you seem to be extremely butt hurt on every nr thread.
Nope not butthurt. Just pointing out the SS residents of western states try to feed non res.

Disgusted by the guys that always lie (residents) and say its for this or that instead of the truth. "We want less competition so we can try to kill bigger animals." I can respect that.

I will keep reminding non res that while they keep getting a smaller and smaller percentage they are still expected to do the heavy lifting like donate to corner crossing, donate to Con org's, send emails, etc.

KurtR

WKR
Nope not butthurt. Just pointing out the SS residents of western states try to feed non res.

Disgusted by the guys that always lie (residents) and say its for this or that instead of the truth. "We want less competition so we can try to kill bigger animals." I can respect that.

I will keep reminding non res that while they keep getting a smaller and smaller percentage they are still expected to do the heavy lifting like donate to corner crossing, donate to Con org's, send emails, etc.
So whats the "fair" amount that nr should be allowed? Good thing were not a western state we identify as northern plains.

Fatcamp

WKR
It blows me away how people complain about South Dakota. Up until now this state has given you the opportunity to hunt mule deer on a guaranteed tag for months every year with a bow including during the rut. Any limits whatsoever are met with wailing and gnashing of teeth.

If people would have kept their mouths shut this change wouldn't be happening, but the jar was opened and there is no going back.

Be thankful. Apply. Hunt if you get a tag. Probably gonna be pretty good odds.

And if you don't, buy a small game license and come kill coyotes. Or stay at home and watch TV. Whatever.

Lawnboi

WKR
If anyone wonders about the WT vs Mule deer archery tag issue, I sent an email to the SD DNR. I will paraphrase their response:

I sent a public comment in to the commission regarding my desire for them to separate archery public tags from WT and any deer. If you have an opinion on this you better share it! Here is the link below. Bitching about it on Rokslide doesn't do a damned thing, but sending comments in might help...maybe...probably not by maybe

Your comments don’t matter to them. Have gone down this road a few places including sd. Your voice means nothing there.

Government bullshit going on everywhere. Every one want their piece.

I don’t mind being limited, but the least they could do is figure out what the hell is going on before the year of the season. Changing the rules yearly without warning is getting old. Got old enough that I don’t even consider South Dakota any longer for big game.

Nothing is about conservation anymore.

You can thank everyone who made extra badass look at me mule deer archery hunting films for all the increased pressure. Hashtags, views and likes.

Also nothing like complaining of others using public land!