Searching for new compact binos. Maven vs swaro vs leica.

Toadman

FNG
I'm in search of a new pair of compact binos. I currently own a pair of Maven c.3 10x50s. I like the Mavens, I have used the b.1.2 binos and thought the glass was great in the b series. I've also used a friend's Trinovids 8x32.

I use binos every day for work and always carry a pair with me hiking, so I am looking for a lighter pair that doesn't require a chest harness and doesn't take up so much room in a pack.

I'm considering the following binos and would like to hear everyone's real-world experience with them:

Maven b.7 8x25 - I'm a little concerned about the obj. lens size being too small. There isn't a lot of info on them yet.
Maven b.3 8x30
Leica Trinovids 8x32

Swarovski CL companion 8x30

OP
T

Toadman

FNG
How much you want to spend?
I really like my Kowa BD2 6.5x30s
Well I'm probably not going to spend more than 1200. So I'm leaving the NL pures, Ultravids and noctivids out of the discussion.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Take a look at the 8x20 Leicas. I spent a TON of time comparing them to my 8x32 Leicas during long sits in a bow blind in Africa. They gave up very very little.

TN2shot07

WKR
I only have a year with the b3’s, I can’t imagine a better balance in glass/weight for the money.

ChrisAU

WKR
I have 10x30 B3’s coming because I wanted a compact 10x, but if money would have allowed I’d definitely be getting Zeiss SFL 10x30’s.

wyosteve

WKR
My suggestion is to stay away from the 25 mm. lens. I have a set of the original Leupold 9x25's which were made by Leica back in the day. The glass is great, but the light gathering and field of view leave a lot to be desired. I've pretty much relegated them to using on the fishing boat. I also have the 8x30 CL Swaros and have been very pleased. Took them on a recent bear hunt and the light gathering at dusk was great. They are light and compact enough, with a Rick Young harness, I often forgot I was wearing them. Can't say anything about your other options since I've never used them.

Only real way to find what you like best is to get a few of them to test side by side. Maven does demos, and Cabelas has a pretty good return policy? Maybe you can get demo Kowas from Doug?

You might end up spending a bit extra but you’ll rest assured you made the right choice for you and your eyes.

I have been happy with the maven 8x30 and compared them to the conquests and also the victory pocket 8x25 at the time.

Mavens were ever so slightly behind the zeiss conquest for overall image quality but it was very subtle. And they were cheaper and smaller/lighter (less lens elements). They are a great overall compact bino.

That being said, the victory pocket 8x25 were pretty amazing. Tiny but excellent glass and overall viewing experience. Very unlike other pocket binos. They were behind the other two in last light gathering ability, so I didn’t go with them in the end. But if low light is less important then they are pretty amazing little binos, still wish I had a pair for all around use.

I finally got a chance to try to CL companions and that’s what I’ll be buying shortly. I had Ultravid HD+ 8x32’s and was deeply disappointed. They were defective out of the box with a stress crack on the hinge and beyond that the image quality was just seriously lacking compared to my Swaros.

You may also want to consider the meostar 8x32’s. They’re excellent as well.

8.5 x 32 el and be done. If you liked the 8x cl the 8.5 el crush them in every way.

They don’t make an 8.5x32 EL. They have an 8.5x42 which I have and yes it has optical benefits over the CL but also weighs almost twice as much and nowhere near as compact. Having these I still often want a smaller and light bino for some occasions. A full size will not replace a compact when you need a compact.

There were/are 8x32 EL’s which are excellent but they’re also larger and heavier than CL’s and are discontinued so second hand or trying to find a dealer with old stock is the only option and they also cost $2K if you can find them in stock and you can get new CL Companions from dealers for about $1200 if you shop around.

Trial153

WKR
Look for 8x32 demo conquests from RedHawk rifles… if not that then I would call doug and go with the Swaro companions or the lecia

check out the CARSON line of optics they make awesome bino's. My son has the 10 x 42 and they are fantastic . They price under 300 .00. This year i used them in the mountains sheep hunting and found them to be comfortable to use no eye strain and light. Im a swarovski guy not up to their standards but damn close. better yet they are manufactured in the USA