Season -2022

Elk97

WKR
I've been fortunate in the past to be able to hunt MT with a return to hunt combo but they've changed the rules and I no longer qualify. If I don't draw I'll still go and call for my sons (and maybe a grandson), maybe try for a B tag or alternate.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just got back from Oklahoma Total Archery Challenge. What a beautiful area and great venue. Who's going to Texas TAC? Come by the Leupold booth if you are there.

IronM

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome bull, nice job. It's opportunities like this that one doesn't want to miss if you are getting up there in age. I am 74 and did my first elk hunt 16 years ago and missed 2 seasons in between. Have been lucky enough to some shoot some cow and 2 bull elk and a nice mule deer. I walk everyday and try to stay in some kind of shape all year long. If heaven is like hunting in the CO mountains for elk, I can't wait. Like somebody on here said take advantage when you can because you only die once.

Awesome bull, nice job. It's opportunities like this that one doesn't want to miss if you are getting up there in age. I am 74 and did my first elk hunt 16 years ago and missed 2 seasons in between. Have been lucky enough to some shoot some cow and 2 bull elk and a nice mule deer. I walk everyday and try to stay in some kind of shape all year long. If heaven is like hunting in the CO mountains for elk, I can't wait. Like somebody on here said take advantage when you can because you only die once.
^^^TRT!!!

Yep well aware of that. Thanks. Having to buy a point at application kind of sucks. You’re going in to know you’re not drawing this year just so you can have points in the future. These next couple years are going to be a fork in the road for people, chase points and have no chance of drawing for a few years or go in with zero every year which sucks for planning.

2 is 1.
1 is none.
0 is better than 1 and maybe even 2.
3 is the only category that’ll be 100% this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure is frustrating trying to plan anything for the last few years when they change the rules on you all the time and give preferential treatment for certain individuals.

blastro87

FNG
Im 35, seem to have hit my mid-life crisis...Started putting in for points and draws in multiple states...Co, Wy, Mt, SD, ND, NE...Im even going to start putting in for PA elk and Maine Moose. WTH why not?...Im not getting any younger, and hard to tell if ill even have enough points by the time im 50 to hunt half way decent draw units, but gotta start somewhere. Just wish I wouldve started 10 years ago! Honestly I just want excuses to hunt new places, see new things, experience new challenges and adventures. I figured if I start investing in points and draws then I wont have any excuse to "not" go because I am invested long before I even draw any tag. I just hope my kids are able to experience the same things, and they dont wait as long as I did to apply for tags and points. Theyll prob need 100 Pref Points to kill an elk or muley in a hard to draw unit by the time theyre old enough to do it on their own!

blastro87, You don't need points to hunt elk in Colorado. OTC tags can be had for the western slope. Do some research, pick a unit and hunt instead of wishing you had a 100 points for a draw unit. Life is too short. I hunt OTC tags and leftovers all of the time because even as a resident, I don't draw every year!

DonV

FNG
This year I have a great chance at my WY moose tag. Sheep not far behind. Slim chance at NM & Utah elk. Hoping.

At 71 I have more memories than most of you have future hunts. I have had the privilege to hunt every year for 59 seasons. As a certified old guy I will hunt something every day until I run out of tags and curiosity.

To get there I will explore roads and cut out trails so that I will feel guilty for carrying a saw. My reward will be to kill an elk early so I can go to my birth home and ride the trails and remember my sordid past, hunts with family, and horses that made my hunting life worthwhile.

Cherish your past gents. Give it all you got - right till you can't.

I'm hoping to draw a decent resident elk tag in Idaho this year as a new hunter at 53. Just shooting and staying in shape. Can't wait to head out and give it a shot.

Huntnnw

WKR
Still waiting on ID draws to fully plan season. I have elk hunts in WA,ID,MT and UT elk permit. MT deer and WA deer, WA and ID bear tags. already hunted ID spring bear and passed up some bears, wife did take one.

OLE1021

FNG
My wife drew the once in a lifetime Nebraska bull elk tag this week in the bordeaux unit. both of us have been putting in for many years with no real hope, as you could guess we are completely blown away that she drew. She has never killed an elk but come this september she is gonna put a giant on the ground.

Good luck to everyone this season!!!

1javelin

FNG
Been waiting for years for the "right time" to get out West and chase elk, and finally said to hell with it. There's never going to be a time where everything lines up perfectly so pulling the trigger this year. I'm sure I'll see some of you up in Northern Colorado for early archery elk and deer, so feel free to give this ol out of shape Michigan boy an assist up the mountain!