Seek Outside 8 man Tipi or BCS 2?

I’m looking to pick up a new shelter and have scoured rokslide for every bit of info I can. I’m now just looking for some final opinions based on real world experience with the shelters on my short list.

My uses for the shelter are as follows:

1. Basecamp for moose hunts in Ontario, based off ATVs and canoes. 2-3 guys, with option of using cots. Would like a stove.
2. Backpack shelter for western hunts, both early archery and late rifle seasons. Will include winter conditions for sheep in Alberta. 1-3 guys. Would like option for a stove.
3. Basecamp for fly in trips (Quebec, Alaska, and British Columbia).
4. Family backcountry shelter. Wife and 1 kid, hopefully 2 in the future.

I know that one shelter to meet these rather diverse needs is tough, but I think still doable? This is where I can use some advice. For background, for solo and 2 person use I have a Big Agnes Copper Spur 2, Integral Designs sil tarp, and Mountain Hardwear 4 season tent. Lately I’ve shifted rather aggressively to lightweight gear, but I’m still willing to sacrifice some sleep system weight for comfort to a reasonable degree.

I’ve narrowed things down to the following:

1. Seek Outside 8 man tipi: seems to be a great compromise for my 4 uses. Plenty of space, reasonable weight, and can get the half nest if the family isn’t comfortable with floor less.

2. Seek Outside BCS 2 Grande: This sacrifices a bit of space, but offers more versatility as I can still get the vestibule and use it in a lighter weight standard BCS2 configuration (especially when solo or 2 guys)

3. Kifaru sawtooth: Great for backpacking solo or with two guys, but not ideal for a longer duration stay in miserable weather with more than 2.

I’m really leaning towards the SO 8 man tipi of BCS 2. There seems to be a huge void of user input on the BCS 2, so hoping someone can chime in (both standard and grande configurations). I would likely get the bug net and liners as well.

Finally, I'm definitely open to other options if anyone has stumbled upon the holy grail of shelters!

why did you overlook the 6 man. It seems you situation is exactly what the 6 man is for. At least for the next 5-6 years until the Kid(s) get bigger. If One and done is what you are looking at you need the 8 man the BCS Grande is a compromise for your intended use. the 6 man will work and work well for a while but you really know you need the 8 man.
I just bought a 6man S.O. with stove and liner. Only set up in the backyard so far but I really like the size per pound and the quality is great. Nice Stuff!
leaving next week on a Elk hunt, Backpacking in the six man. each guy (2) ends up with about 6-7 lbs including stove/Wyoming saw/hatchet. That is a small weight penalty for the comfort and security a heated shelter will provide.
Good luck

why did you overlook the 6 man. It seems you situation is exactly what the 6 man is for. At least for the next 5-6 years until the Kid(s) get bigger. If One and done is what you are looking at you need the 8 man the BCS Grande is a compromise for your intended use. the 6 man will work and work well for a while but you really know you need the 8 man.
I just bought a 6man S.O. with stove and liner. Only set up in the backyard so far but I really like the size per pound and the quality is great. Nice Stuff!
leaving next week on a Elk hunt, Backpacking in the six man. each guy (2) ends up with about 6-7 lbs including stove/Wyoming saw/hatchet. That is a small weight penalty for the comfort and security a heated shelter will provide.
Good luck

The 6 man is definitely intriguing as well. I saw on another thread that with 3 guys, stove, and gear it can be a little cramped though - and not doable with cots? I'm happy to sleep on the ground, but my dad is kind of past that now and for extended hunts the cot saves his back.

I would appreciate any pics you may have of the 6 man set up with gear inside.

The S.O. shelters seem to be a great value, and I've heard nothing but positive remarks. What stove are you using?

The SO 8man is what I would go with given your criteria,it easily meets 3 out of 4 of your needs.Disclaimer,, I personally do not own the SO 8 man but my old man does and really likes it,he's used it for 2 seasons with no problems. With all that said I sure as hell would not want to be using that as my primary backpacking shelter.

Go with the 8 man SO and take a look at the Ruta Locura WiFi stove large. I have the 6 man SO it is comfortable for 1 man and a cot or 2 men on the ground IMO, both scenarios with the stove. The large WiFi stove has performed great for me this season, minimal parts, easy assembly.

The SO 8man is what I would go with given your criteria,it easily meets 3 out of 4 of your needs.Disclaimer,, I personally do not own the SO 8 man but my old man does and really likes it,he's used it for 2 seasons with no problems. With all that said I sure as hell would not want to be using that as my primary backpacking shelter.

I hear ya, and I agree that the only place the 8 man suffers is for a backpack shelter. I would think for 3 guys it would start to be a viable lightweight option when packing in, but obviously not for 1 or 2. Anyone use their 8 man for 2 person backpacking? I've never used a stove in a shelter before, but I've sure had occasions where I wish I had one.

This is why I'm intrigued by the BCS 2. In the standard config it's super roomy and only 3 lbs 12 oz. Add a stove and it can be a pretty comfy heated shelter for 2 guys at under 6 lbs. Put in in the grande config and I think it would be at least as big as a 6 man tipi, possible close to an 8?

Go with the 8 man SO and take a look at the Ruta Locura WiFi stove large. I have the 6 man SO it is comfortable for 1 man and a cot or 2 men on the ground IMO, both scenarios with the stove. The large WiFi stove has performed great for me this season, minimal parts, easy assembly.

I do like the look and weight of the wifi stove. I've also been looking at the S.O. SXL

Have you considered any of the TiGoat Vertex shelters?

You know what, I had ruled them out due to the single door at the beginning of my research, but going back now and seeing the weight savings over the S.O. the vertex 8 is back in the running. Thanks for that.

No worries. Those guys are just down the road from me. I need to give them a call and go check those Vertex shelters out in person. Might as well since it's only a half hour or so to them.

6-man will be too small. Hunted for a week with a buddy in one and we had decent room for two people. Three was ok, but it was hard moving around with a stove and gear.

6-man will be too small. Hunted for a week with a buddy in one and we had decent room for two people. Three was ok, but it was hard moving around with a stove and gear.

I agree, 6 man is out of the running.

I would really like to hear some feedback on the Seek Outside BCS 2. I can't understand why there is so little info on this shelter as it seems like an excellent design?

I agree, 6 man is out of the running.

I would really like to hear some feedback on the Seek Outside BCS 2. I can't understand why there is so little info on this shelter as it seems like an excellent design?
my guess would be the price point drives many people away from it, therefore little experience out there with it.
now if you and a buddy each had a bcs, the price point isnt as steep.

Granted I am the vendor, but I'll give my perspective, and it really is different strokes for different folks depending on space requirements. I've had hunting partners that could take up half an 8 person by themselves, or sleep fine in an LBO and 3 part.

For me, the 6 is a nice 3 man / stove shelter. Not a ton of walk around , but plenty of room at least for the folks I've hunted with. The 8 person is great, but almost cavernous for me. The BCS 2 in a standard config is fine for two and a stove and in the Grande I've had 4 and a stove in it and it has been ok. I would suggest you ask on the vendor forum and perhaps you can get direct feedback, as I know there are a decent amount of BCS 2 out now (though probably not the same amount as 6 and 8 persons). Just my 2 cents, as I've shared tents with various folks in all of them.

029.jpgI have just returned from 4 days in SE Oregon Steens Mtns. temps were close to freezing at night. WINDY sumbitch! the 6 man SO handled the wind perfectly. the center pole did some dancing around and some tent noise but it held together and I know a lesser tent would have failed. 2 person Palace 3 person if they are organized. We did not pack in the stove. We got out of the hole just in time to miss 3-4" of snow. No Elk were harmed during this trip.
View attachment 20035 View attachment 20036

Back