Seek Outside Cimarron Ultralight DCF

treillw

WKR
Not seeing too much out there about this tent. How are those of you who have it liking it?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I ******* love mine!

a097a4d652b9e15aa4496f66f12d8cec.jpg
9d3d28781022dc09e1d9c47d14a32da2.jpg

730640ed064d105340bc8962e25bae9b.jpg
ca0eb07a89ef7b5d0f12f3b084520513.jpg

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Care to elaborate? haha

I have about 20 nights in mine, it's light and can easily fit two and all the gear and a stove. The footprint is rather small, which has been a problem with other tents for me.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
They made another version with one door no frills and is half the dcf price and not much more in weight as another Cimarron option great tents for two 3 in a pinch I thought I ordered the dcf but was 😃 C1FAD181-A473-473F-B7DC-B085E6907050.jpeg025DC56F-B8CA-4D9B-B440-CD02A6BECFC0.jpeg6CD324AC-F67D-4EFA-B678-0893C090812D.jpeg

the only downside I see so far is that it doesn't compress as well as syl. nylon.But even though its a bit bulkier its so light that it doesn't adversely effect the way your pack feels regardless where you carry it.I tried to stuff it down the side pocket of my Exo pack.No go

Do the dyneema ones have tie-outs mid way up all of the seams or just 2 at the ends like the standard cimarron? That is one feature that the Hyperlite mountain, Mountain Laurel, and Locus mids all have and I think the cimarron could benefit from.

Last edited:

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Do the dyneema ones have tie-outs mid way up all of the seems or just 2 at the ends like the standard cimarron? That is one feature that the Hyperlite mountain, Mountain Laurel, and Locus mids all have and I think the cimarron could benefit from.

Our cuts are much more refined so the benefit is minimal at best however one awesome thing with DCF is you can buy adhesive guy outs and loops and stick them wherever you see fit . Want a hang look for your bivy ? No problem

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every seam? I can't recall.I can say it's not lacking guy outs

You can pitch it tight and it stays tight.Doesn't flutter in the wind anything like syl nylon.

Our cuts are much more refined so the benefit is minimal at best however one awesome thing with DCF is you can buy adhesive guy outs and loops and stick them wherever you see fit . Want a hang look for your bivy ? No problem

Kevin

Your cuts are more refined than MLD, HMG, and Locus? How so? I did think of those little stick on loops that Zpacks sells, is there other sources too?

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
So correct me if I'm wrong, the DCF Cimarron weighs 1lb 5oz for only the canopy. Doing the math on the light version of the Cimarron shows that the stakes and carbon pole adds a pound, bringing the total complete setup weight to 2lb 5 oz.

The Cimarron Light complete setup weight is advertised at 3lb 3oz. So you're saving 14 oz by going the DCF route.

I hope I'm wrong here, because that doesn't seem like a huge weight savings for $481.

I think if somebody was going to give me $481 to fill my camelback up with 46oz of water instead of 32 oz of water, there aren't too many circumstances where I'd not take the money and run.

Second question: In reading up on DCF, some website said that it has a shorter lifespan than other tent fabrics and that it will last about 250 "thru hiker nights". How much use can you expect to get out of the DCF Cimarron until it needs to be replaced?

Thanks!

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I don't have the carbon pole, I cut a piece of wood or use trekking poles. My set up is 24 oz.

Don't know about the life span. Nothing cheap about cutting OZ thats for sure.

So correct me if I'm wrong, the DCF Cimarron weighs 1lb 5oz for only the canopy. Doing the math on the light version of the Cimarron shows that the stakes and carbon pole adds a pound, bringing the total complete setup weight to 2lb 5 oz.

The Cimarron Light complete setup weight is advertised at 3lb 3oz. So you're saving 14 oz by going the DCF route.

I hope I'm wrong here, because that doesn't seem like a huge weight savings for $481.

I think if somebody was going to give me $481 to fill my camelback up with 46oz of water instead of 32 oz of water, there aren't too many circumstances where I'd not take the money and run.

Second question: In reading up on DCF, some website said that it has a shorter lifespan than other tent fabrics and that it will last about 250 "thru hiker nights". How much use can you expect to get out of the DCF Cimarron until it needs to be replaced?

Thanks!

DCF is not a cheap way to cut weight. You need to be very serious about cutting weight or put significant value in its other attributes (no stretch or water retention) to justify the cost adder.

250 through hiker nights would likely get me through more than a decade which seems like plenty.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Your cuts are more refined than MLD, HMG, and Locus? How so? I did think of those little stick on loops that Zpacks sells, is there other sources too?

They are. We do a terrific job with catenary cuts and stuff to create tight shelters . The HMG can not do that due to seam orientation . Locus and MLD do very good stuff though .

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
DCF is not a cheap way to cut weight. You need to be very serious about cutting weight or put significant value in its other attributes (no stretch or water retention) to justify the cost adder.

250 through hiker nights would likely get me through more than a decade which seems like plenty.

Life span depends on a few things like how it’s stored etc but it’s also hard use as a blanket statement . First there have been improvements in DCF over the years so some things may be old facts that may not be true anymore . It also depends on the grade of the DCF fabric .

FWIW I’ve seen one that has went on a complete thru hike from 2 years ago (pct)and it looks good . I would consider it to have a lot of nights left (like another thru hike ) . However , that being said if cost/ longevity is more of a concern than weight or other benefits by all means stick with the nylon shelters . For me , I’ll use both , but if I have a DCF one I will more than likely use it if I’m carrying it .

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Life span depends on a few things like how it’s stored etc but it’s also hard use as a blanket statement . First there have been improvements in DCF over the years so some things may be old facts that may not be true anymore . It also depends on the grade of the DCF fabric .

FWIW I’ve seen one that has went on a complete thru hike from 2 years ago (pct)and it looks good . I would consider it to have a lot of nights left (like another thru hike ) . However , that being said if cost/ longevity is more of a concern than weight or other benefits by all means stick with the nylon shelters . For me , I’ll use both , but if I have a DCF one I will more than likely use it if I’m carrying it .

Thanks Kevin. Could you please confirm the weights i mentioned above? What is the total weight required for setup of the light and ultralight Cimarron?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks Kevin. Could you please confirm the weights i mentioned above? What is the total weight required for setup of the light and ultralight Cimarron?

Our website specs are accurate . Off hand I don’t have everything memorized .

Canopy for UL is 21 or 24 depending on stove port . It requires 8 stakes at about 1/2 ounce each and either linked poles a stick or a carbon or aluminum pole at 8-10 ounces

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I guess you need a saw to cut a center pole, correct? - something I typically don't carry.

I have a havalon barracuta with a bone saw blade. I wonder if that could get through a small tree??

Any tips on how to cut the pole to the proper length? I guess you could carry a piece of fishing line with the correct length, but doesn't the length change depending on where you have it setup?

tdot

WKR
I guess you need a saw to cut a center pole, correct? - something I typically don't carry.

I have a havalon barracuta with a bone saw blade. I wonder if that could get through a small tree??

Any tips on how to cut the pole to the proper length? I guess you could carry a piece of fishing line with the correct length, but doesn't the length change depending on where you have it setup?

Trained beaver. It's the lightest option.