Seek Outside Dimensions - Redcliff vs Cimarron

Lee Harrison

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a question also regarding these. Do any of you guys use a wood pole, cut or found on site as your support pole. I like the idea of using my trekking poles , but dont want to dismantle my tent each day , just to be able to use my trekking poles. And dont want the added weight of a CF or Aluminum pole.
It's definitely an option. Just keep in mind that you may not always be able to find a nice, sizable, green, fairly straight branch on the ground. Then you have to cut one, which requires a saw to do it with any sort of ease. You might be able to snap em off but then you still might have to cut it to size.

In my experience I've never regretted bringing the CF pole. I've just heard some stories of people going up and having to scramble to make something work that's why I always try and bring up all the scenarios.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used a cut pole to on my silvertip last fall worked very nicely and left a few short limbs to hang stuff around the stove 👍 I did know before hand this would be an option and pack a Wyoming saw.

It's definitely an option. Just keep in mind that you may not always be able to find a nice, sizable, green, fairly straight branch on the ground. Then you have to cut one, which requires a saw to do it with any sort of ease. You might be able to snap em off but then you still might have to cut it to size.

In my experience I've never regretted bringing the CF pole. I've just heard some stories of people going up and having to scramble to make something work that's why I always try and bring up all the scenarios.

An idea I just had - I’d go up during a summer scouting trip(if it were backcountry) and bring measurements for the center pole and a handsaw. Obviously I’m not going to cut down a tree to make the center pole BUT with enough scrounging you could find something that would work with a little cutting.

Stash it somewhere hidden and it’ll be there for you when you come back for the hunt.

CLibka

Lil-Rokslider
I've heard it often said that 2 + a stove is the max for a cimmaron. This past year we were able to do 3 plus a stove and while not "ideal" it was more than adequate. Obviously your mileage may vary depending on people and gear. But it worked for us. Would a redcliff been better, probably ... but not absolutely necessary in my opinion.

Lee Harrison

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
An idea I just had - I’d go up during a summer scouting trip(if it were backcountry) and bring measurements for the center pole and a handsaw. Obviously I’m not going to cut down a tree to make the center pole BUT with enough scrounging you could find something that would work with a little cutting.

Stash it somewhere hidden and it’ll be there for you when you come back for the hunt.
That would work for sure!

Lee Harrison

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I've heard it often said that 2 + a stove is the max for a cimmaron. This past year we were able to do 3 plus a stove and while not "ideal" it was more than adequate. Obviously your mileage may vary depending on people and gear. But it worked for us. Would a redcliff been better, probably ... but not absolutely necessary in my opinion.
Correct! I have had three in the Cimarron and have had ample room. At SO we suggest two and three at the risk of someone's sleeping bag. A good way to prevent burning your bag; however, is to stack your wood supply between the person closest to the stove and the stove. That way if you roll over you run into wood not a piping hot stove.

Been tossing between the Redcliff and Cimarron for over a year, I think this thread has pushed me into Cimarron.

I bc solo camp half the time with my tent, I would bring a buddy and a stove along the other half of the time.

Seems like the right call with the L Stove

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
I have a SO 4 man and wouldnt put more than 2 men and gear, stove, and wood during a late season hunt. For the solo hunter its AWESOME!