Seek Outside Dimensions - Redcliff vs Cimarron

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
I have been tossing around whether I should get the Cimarron or Redcliff from Seek Outside. I think I have watched every video and read every article but haven't really seen anything that showed the inside quite well when fully equipped. So I did a little playing around with dimensions and thought I would share for others who might be in the same boat.

I am a bigger guy (6'1", 250) and a side sleeper. I have tried numerous sleeping pads and have fallen in love with the Klymit Static V Luxe (insulated) as it is comfortable for side sleeping. My elbows don't fall off the edge when on my back and my arms don't hang over at the elbow when on my side (elbow pain, shoulder tension). These drawings take this large pad into consideration (30"x76") as I won't leave home without it.

Obviously these shelters become increasingly spacious when evicting occupants but maybe this will be helpful for someone else contemplating either of these options. Would love to hear from those that have either of the shelters and what their layout is when using them?

Cimarron - Version 1 (2 people on the sides with SXL stove)
SeekOustide Cimarron - two 30x76 pads with SXL stove Version1.jpg

Cimarron - Version 2 (2 people against doors with SXL stove)
SeekOustide Cimarron - two 30x76 pads with SXL stove - Version2.jpg

Redcliff - 2 people, SXL stove
SeekOutside Redcliff - two 30x76 pads with SXL stove.jpg

Redcliff - Version 1 (3 people, SXL stove)
SeekOutside Redcliff - three 30x76 pads Version1.jpg

Redcliff - Version 2 (3 people, SXL stove)
SeekOutside Redcliff - three 30x76 pads with SXL stove - Version2.jpg

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have been tossing around whether I should get the Cimarron or Redcliff from Seek Outside. I think I have watched every video and read every article but haven't really seen anything that showed the inside quite well when fully equipped. So I did a little playing around with dimensions and thought I would share for others who might be in the same boat.

I am a bigger guy (6'1", 250) and a side sleeper. I have tried numerous sleeping pads and have fallen in love with the Klymit Static V Luxe (insulated) as it is comfortable for side sleeping. My elbows don't fall off the edge when on my back and my arms don't hang over at the elbow when on my side (elbow pain, shoulder tension). These drawings take this large pad into consideration (30"x76") as I won't leave home without it.

Obviously these shelters become increasingly spacious when evicting occupants but maybe this will be helpful for someone else contemplating either of these options. Would love to hear from those that have either of the shelters and what their layout is when using them?

Cimarron - Version 1 (2 people on the sides with SXL stove)
View attachment 83549

Cimarron - Version 2 (2 people against doors with SXL stove)
View attachment 83550

Redcliff - 2 people, SXL stove
View attachment 83551

Redcliff - Version 1 (3 people, SXL stove)
View attachment 83552

Redcliff - Version 2 (3 people, SXL stove)
View attachment 83553
Well done, and yes, that pad is amazing

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

We took the Redcliff to Alaska with us this year for a moose hunt where we were rained on it every single day. The stove is a lifesaver for us but it definitely took up space. We took it with the intention of for only two people and the stove. By the end of the trip that is about all we wanted in there, but we were also on short cots and had all of our gear inside. We had it set up like you do in image 3 above. If we were going to put 3 people I there I would probably try and if it like you have in image 4 and lose the cots. That way you could keep the wood nice and toasty and help with drying it out. And then the wood will be the only thing near the stove. The problem I see with number 5 diagram is that if there is condensation in your tent and you have/using liners, the guy under the door is going to be a little wet in the morning due to the door not having a liner. For this reason I built a liner for the door that we weren’t using due to the third guy being there. Hopefully that makes sense. Anyway good luck. Looks like you are well on your way.

farmer14

Lil-Rokslider
Cool diagrams. I have owned the Cimarron and now co-own a Redcliff with a buddy. Here are a few observations from using both extensively:

Organization and cleanliness are key in utilizing every square foot of space. The Cimarron can get tight even with two guys if your tent mate is a slob and leaves his junk all over the place.

If you’re a solo guy the Cimarron is perfect and one can be as messy or clean as he’d like. If you want the option to have room for two, possibly 3, the recliff is the way to go. I really don’t mind the weight penalty. It’s not THAT much heavier when comparing the two, plus the extra room is always nice, no matter what level of “minimalist” you are at or think you want to be.

One flaw I see with your diagrams are the dimensions. While they are spot on, those are drawn in a perfect world and only take into consideration the would be dimensions on flat ground. They do not take into account the side walls of the tent and unless you are setting the thing up perfectly every time, one side or panel will always be a little off.

I’ve set up my Redcliff up so many times that my buddy and I can do it in the dark, no headlamps in under 5 minutes and we always seem to be a little off.

Just some things to consider. Either way, they are both fantastic setups and you will love either. Good luck and happy hunting!

colonel00

WKR
I have both so I'll try to offer a little bit if info as well.

On the Cimarron, I like the idea of each guy having his own door. This is nice as long as the weather is nice. However, if it's raining, your bed will get wet when you open the door on that side. As others have said, it will be tight with 2 people and gear and a stove.

To me, the Redcliff is a palace. Your second diagram should work as nobody has to step over another person to get to a door and if you only open the doors towards the single bed, you shouldn't let in too much rain.

One other thing, if you have 2 guys and the cimarron or 3 guys and the redcliff, one person should be able to carry along a separate tarp of some sort. Not only will you be able to store stuff outside leaving room in the tent but you can also take it along during the day for a makeshift shelter from the weather.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sawtooth like shelter made with cuben fiber in multiple sizes? Fingers crossed.
No. Two Pole trekking pole supported , with optional full nests, dual entry / exit . Functionally, more like a larger trekking pole supported / non free standing hubba hubba .. with very good poor weather / wind performance

We have done a DCF DST Tarp, Cimarron and Redcliff. When / If we offer them they won't be cheap, but they are nice tents.

Edit added DCF Blurb

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hi, currently looking at the Silvertip, as a soloshelter/camping with one kid, will this new shelter be an option for this ?

Yes , two trekking pole vs single center pole design among other differences. Silvertip will be better for some things, this will be better for others. Comparable size.

sneaky

"DADDY"
No. Two Pole trekking pole supported , with optional full nests, dual entry / exit . Functionally, more like a larger trekking pole supported / non free standing hubba hubba .. with very good poor weather / wind performance

We have done a DCF DST Tarp, Cimarron and Redcliff. When / If we offer them they won't be cheap, but they are nice tents.

Edit added DCF Blurb
Similar to the stratospire series from tarptent then?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bel72

FNG
Yes , two trekking pole vs single center pole design among other differences. Silvertip will be better for some things, this will be better for others. Comparable size.

Thanks, looking forward to it’s release!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a question also regarding these. Do any of you guys use a wood pole, cut or found on site as your support pole. I like the idea of using my trekking poles , but dont want to dismantle my tent each day , just to be able to use my trekking poles. And dont want the added weight of a CF or Aluminum pole.