Seek Outside Kenai or Unaweep

Mikedlaw

Lil-Rokslider
Help me decide on which Seek Outside pack I should get. I was set on the Kenai but now am considering the Unaweep instead. Those that have a Lanner or Peregrine, do you prefer the back stretch pocket over a talon? It seems like a Talon would be more versatile being able to use a base talon or a Merlin. I do like the asymmetrical side pockets on the Kenai and the top shroud pocket, but I'm not sold on the back stretchy pocket. Any thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

CoStick

WKR
I just ordered the unaweep, I use the talon a bunch on my other SO pack. Storage and holds water bladder.

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
Help me decide on which Seek Outside pack I should get. I was set on the Kenai but now am considering the Unaweep instead. Those that have a Lanner or Peregrine, do you prefer the back stretch pocket over a talon? It seems like a Talon would be more versatile being able to use a base talon or a Merlin. I do like the asymmetrical side pockets on the Kenai and the top shroud pocket, but I'm not sold on the back stretchy pocket. Any thoughts?

I just went through the same internal debate and ordered a Unaweep about 2 weeks ago. I rolled the dice on the Wolf gray, gray talon and an additional blaze orange talon. It shipped Friday and tracking says I’ll have it in my hands this coming Wednesday.

OP
Mikedlaw

Mikedlaw

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered the unaweep, I use the talon a bunch on my other SO pack. Storage and holds water bladder.

I just went through the same internal debate and ordered a Unaweep about 2 weeks ago. I rolled the dice on the Wolf gray, gray talon and an additional blaze orange talon. It shipped Friday and tracking says I’ll have it in my hands this coming Wednesday.

I think I'm leaning that way now as well. I just like the one tall side pocket on the Kenai. Did you end up with the 4800 or 6300?

I ordered the Unaweep 4800 a few weeks ago as well. It seems like a good choice for back pack style elk hunting.

Cheechako

FNG
I was just having the same debate and emailed them about it. They recommended the talon over the mesh to keep stuff dry.

I ended up ordering the 6300 unaweep set up as similiarly as possible to the sg tallus.
I wish it had the long pocket on one side for a spotter, but it didn’t seem worth the custom bill.

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
I think I'm leaning that way now as well. I just like the one tall side pocket on the Kenai. Did you end up with the 4800 or 6300?

I went with the 4800.

I ordered a Stone Glacier Terminus 7000 last weekend. That showed up here yesterday. I am impressed with that pack at first glance. I was thinking I’d see which one I liked better and return the other. But…. I’ll probably keep both….

Last edited:

bisblue

WKR
I love my peregrine with the Talon. I was a wilderness and trails ranger and love being able to take the bag off and pack things on the frame. I have pack llamas now, But still love how I can pack it down and I like the tall sleeves on the side for fitting things like spotting scopes and tripods.
Also phenomenal customer service, handmade in the USA.

Last edited:

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
If you want/need the extra waterproofing of not having the zipper, I would go with the Unaweep. Otherwise, I would go with the Kenai. You can always add a talon (unless something changes that I'm not aware of). The full zipper is nice when loading/unloading/using the pack in day mode.

The Kenai is very similar to the custom bag I ordered last year. Had the Kenai been available, I would have went with that over a custom bag.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

CoStick

WKR
I got the 4800, have a Merlin if needed, but also the larger zip pockets that attaches also adds space if needed. Added a zipper. Had a peregrine, don’t love the integrated “talon/pockets “

bozeman

WKR
I used the Unaweep 4800 for several years, solid pack! It seems/packs larger than a 4800, more like a 5000 or 5200 cu inch bag........

Love my Unaweep. I had the 4800 and now use the 6300. It is too big for most of my use but the extra space costs very little in terms of weight.

OP
Mikedlaw

Mikedlaw

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for your input. I still see advantages to both. I'll probably just have to flip a coin otherwise I'll never order.

OP
Mikedlaw

Mikedlaw

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up abandoning the idea of buying the integrated platform and ordered a Goshawk. It has the side pocket layout I want with a talon. Even though I probably won't detach the bag and use the external load shelf much, I'll have the option to do so, and I do like the ability to swap out bags.

KHNC

WKR
I got a Unaweep first with a talon. Used it 3 years and bought a Peregrine. I use the talon on it as well. I like it a lot better. Both packs are great though.

Having had both, I really prefer having the separate load shelf along with a smaller packbag, at least for elk hunting. I’ve cached camp a bunch of times, either in the woods, or back at the trailhead, and then just carried meat in the loadshelf where it breathes better and is easier to stabilize. I’ve packed ~8 elk with a Revolution over the last 5 years and maybe a quarter of the loads am I carrying camp with quarters, so it’s nice to have the modularity.

Rokwiia

WKR
I have both platforms...a Unaweep and Fortress. Also have both the stretchy-mesh Talon and regular Talon.

I prefer the stretchy mesh that is built-in on a smaller pack such as the Gila bag. Far more convenient to toss a windbreaker of Goretex jacket or fleece in the pocket for quick access and able to dry out.

The Unaweep and Fortress bags are both 6,300 and I have both a Talon and the stretchy mesh Talon. Once again, I prefer mesh but will use the regular Talon when I want items to be secure, dry, and zipped up. Most of the times it is the mesh.