Seek Outside Lanner Testing & Review

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've received a new-for-2019 Seek Outside Lanner 5400 mounted on a Revolution Frame for extended testing and review. The idea is to put the pack to use through my standard abuse of backcountry work and play and report back with my thoughts on it's functional uses in a formal review. I'll keep this thread updated with photo's and updates throughout the testing. Let me know if there are any questions or specific features you'd like to know about.

After pulling the pack from the box this weekend here are a few initial thoughts:
The bag is big: enough room for a 10+ day trip.
_1070597 small.jpg

The zippered outside security pockets and side pockets are going to be great for organizing gear and packing any size spotting scope, tripod, or a rifle. Also the full length side zipper is robust and will make accessing the main bag really easy. The torso adjustment and waist belt adjustments were easy and seem comfortable. There are a ton of compression strap locations which will help secure large loads although it took me a while to come around to the Gatekeeper style of straps and attachment.
_1070591 small.jpg
_1070590 small.jpg
_1070598 small.jpg
_1070593 small.jpg

-Josh

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
How deep does a Nalgene sit in the side pockets?

Thank you for the look.

The pockets are 16" deep so a Nalgene will drop in no problem. Getting one out on the fly might not be so easy, but I have not tried that yet.

EmperorMA

WKR
Really looking forward to this review. My pack choice has essentially come down to this SO Lanner vs Mystery Ranch Beartooth or the SO Peregrine vs Mystery Ranch Selway.

My main concerns are how well the pack will hold three fly rods and a tent in the outside pockets and how quickly/easily the meat shelf can be deployed. Lastly, how easy is it to get a good, no-slip waist belt adjustment when carrying out half a deer or an elk quarter.

Ranger185

FNG
Thanks for putting this together Josh. Since you dropped the 10+ day verbiage for this pack, I'm interested in your thoughts on how well the front pockets perform in total load (what and how much they can carry), what your thoughts are on the psuedo lid and it's capabilities. I'd also like to hear what your thoughts are on the elastic pulls for the exterior pockets and their durability, thought I seem to remember Kevin saying something about them being self-replaceable.

ATW,
Ranger185

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really looking forward to this review. My pack choice has essentially come down to this SO Lanner vs Mystery Ranch Beartooth or the SO Peregrine vs Mystery Ranch Selway.

My main concerns are how well the pack will hold three fly rods and a tent in the outside pockets and how quickly/easily the meat shelf can be deployed. Lastly, how easy is it to get a good, no-slip waist belt adjustment when carrying out half a deer or an elk quarter.

The fly rods shouldn’t be an issue nor would most two man tents. The side pockets are pretty big. I’ll get some photos of the pockets at some point with something else in there for scale.

As far as waist belt adjustment, comfort, and slippage under heavy loads, this pack will be thoroughly tested for any of those issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for putting this together Josh. Since you dropped the 10+ day verbiage for this pack, I'm interested in your thoughts on how well the front pockets perform in total load (what and how much they can carry), what your thoughts are on the psuedo lid and it's capabilities. I'd also like to hear what your thoughts are on the elastic pulls for the exterior pockets and their durability, thought I seem to remember Kevin saying something about them being self-replaceable.

ATW,
Ranger185

I’ll look into all of that for you and report back at some point.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'll add in .. on talons vs rear pocketing. Lanner rear face should be comparable to the Merlin . When combined with the side pockets, you should be able to carry a spotter , tripod , and then essentially a Merlin full of gear.

Regarding Talons - Base Talon is the smallest because it is pleated and designed to go flat as a compression panel. Mesh Talon is sizable as is the Merlin.

Camber__

FNG
Wow, I would never have guessed the pockets on the Lanner were as sizeable as a Merlin. I can fit a surprising amount into my Merlin.

That might be worth noting on the webpage Kevin as I was underestimating them.

Hey Josh, I would appreciate seeing some pics of you wearing the pack, both fully loaded and in daypack mode. Also understanding your height and weight to put the size in perspective. It’s really difficult to get a sense on the dimensions of packs and how they will “fit” without seeing them on someone’s back. Maybe you would consider making your review a video-review? Thanks!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Josh, I would appreciate seeing some pics of you wearing the pack, both fully loaded and in daypack mode. Also understanding your height and weight to put the size in perspective. It’s really difficult to get a sense on the dimensions of packs and how they will “fit” without seeing them on someone’s back. Maybe you would consider making your review a video-review? Thanks!

I second that vote

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
What size frame are you using, Josh?
It's a 24" frame with 2" frame extensions. My height is 5'7'ish with a 17.5" torso. I'm looking forward to running it in 24" mode for a little more stealthy ride and using the extensions for weight hauling.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member

I'll get some more photos up this weekend. I'll stuff the pack with my 3-5 day hunt gear and strap it on for a little better perspective.

And also a video review is a great idea. It seems that all of the features of a pack like this are best described and portrayed in that format. Thanks for the suggestion.

mt100gr.

WKR
It's a 24" frame with 2" frame extensions. My height is 5'7'ish with a 17.5" torso. I'm looking forward to running it in 24" mode for a little more stealthy ride and using the extensions for weight hauling.
Thanks. Im trying get an idea on the height of the bag in the different configurations. I have a 28 inch revolution frame. Appreciate the info.

Ranger185

FNG
I'll add in .. on talons vs rear pocketing. Lanner rear face should be comparable to the Merlin . When combined with the side pockets, you should be able to carry a spotter , tripod , and then essentially a Merlin full of gear.

Regarding Talons - Base Talon is the smallest because it is pleated and designed to go flat as a compression panel. Mesh Talon is sizable as is the Merlin.

Kevin,

Thanks for weighing in! That similarity is surprising, but makes sense.

Man i get too excited about rucks...

mt100gr.

WKR
Josh, I'm struggling to get a question answered by SO on the "Lanner intro" thread.

Did your pack come with anything in place of the ice axe loops, as is indicated in the description on the SO website? Could you please post a picture of the bottom of the bag where the attachments are below the rear set of pockets.

Thank you.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Josh, I'm struggling to get a question answered by SO on the "Lanner intro" thread.

Did your pack come with anything in place of the ice axe loops, as is indicated in the description on the SO website? Could you please post a picture of the bottom of the bag where the attachments are below the rear set of pockets.

Thank you.

So there are two gatekeeper attachment points there that can be used to anchor the bag to the frame and compress it for day loads or other configurations as needed. Hope this helps visualize it a little better.

47c150b9ed3c8ce6d758f60031078e88.jpg

cb722e3dc0730902c143ea4913383dec.jpg