Seek Outside pack questions?

I am interested in a SO pack. Looking to save some weight over my Stone Glacier pack. Unfortunately, there is a review on the SO site that mentions large side pockets becoming water collectors in heavy rain. Has anyone else used a SO in Alaska or coastal rains and had this experience? Can drain holes be added?

Also, what gripping materials do you add to avoid belt slippage or had this issue been solved?

For water hydration, anyone put the hydration pack in the top lid? Else, I have been experimenting with platypus 1L and 2L clear plastic bottles in side pocket s in my Stone Glacier and that works pretty well.

OP
T
Also, how quick is it to deploy the load hauler for the breakaway version, versus, let's say MR or SG?

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
Also, how quick is it to deploy the load hauler for the breakaway version, versus, let's say MR or SG?
+1
CC.jpg

I own a SO and really like it. The deep pockets are great for almost anything including a rifle or tripod. You could poke a little hole in the side pockets if you were worried about collecting water. I never paid attention whether there's already ones there. Guessing not.

As far as deploying load shelf. It's faster than MR in my experience of waiting on my buddy to load his up while I stand there for 5 minutes fully locked and loaded with my SO. What makes it fast is that you really don't have to fully detach the bag to use the shelf. Just loosen the straps, insert meat, and tighten everything down. Even if you do decide to detach it only takes a few seconds to reattach the gate keepers.

For hydration I just snapped in a 3 liter bladder and ran the hose out the provided hole to my shoulder strap.

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
I dont have experience with the SG or MR but on my seek outside fortress it's a matter of taking the talon off or loosening all the way just opening the 2 gate keepers that strap each side of the top of the pack to top of frame. Break away, load up and re secure with talon.

I have the Fortress with the open water bottle holders. Its spent several weeks in AK over the past 2 years and I never remember that being an issue....nor the belt slipping. I don't have experience with those other packs but deploying the meat shelf is pretty simple and quick. I think you can find some video on their site or on utube.

brsnow

WKR
SO custom makes bags as well, so you can have them made without the pockets if you are concerned. I have not had an issue.

techmanil

FNG
I use a talon to hold my 3L bladder. When my pack is full, i have to turn my head to drink as my hose seems to be just short.

Lawnboi

WKR
Can also confirm drain holes. Just washed blood out of my wifes peregrine, side pockets had holes in the lower corners.

I also think the lid is pretty slick, could fit a bladder in it if needed but probably not much over 2l.

The seek pack impressed me. Personally still prefer my kifaru for a all around do it all pack. But if I wanted to lose some weight, or were on a dedicated, long backpacking trip is definitely not hesitate to grab the peregrine out of the closet.

OP
T
Thank you. Any other considerations that I should think about? I will continue to read other reviews and YouTube videos.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’ll throw in that SO is a great company to work with. One of the best with communication. Had a jack added to a cimmaron and was the best return/repair service I have ever received.

I don’t think you can go wrong with one of thier packs particularly if you want light weight.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thank you. Any other considerations that I should think about? I will continue to read other reviews and YouTube videos.

A quick call and conversation will probably be quicker in answering specific questions than scouring forums and videos.

PM me a number and I’d be happy to call.

Nathan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
A quick call and conversation will probably be quicker in answering specific questions than scouring forums and videos.

PM me a number and I’d be happy to call.

Nathan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you Nathan. I will call this Thurs or Fri.

Much appreciated.