Seek Outside Peregrine Vs Kifaru Stryker xl

Hi all,
I currently have a seek outside integrated backpack, meaning the non-meat shelf backpack. I am looking at getting their meat shelf with the peregrine pack bag but I'm wondering how it compares with the Kifaru Stryker XL for carrying meat. It would be slightly cheaper for me to go the seek outside route because I already have the frame, shoulder straps, and hip belt. I'm not opposed to spending a few hundred extra dollars for the Kifaru Stryker though. The Kifaru packs just look like they are heavier duty and might carry heavy loads better.

Looking for experiences good or bad with either pack.

Thanks

Beckjhong

WKR
Personal preference. Try both frames. For me, SO feels like less hunting and more backpacking/hunting crossover, while kifaru has the load carry game down. Others would disagree though.

Hoghead

WKR
I have hauled hogs in the gen1 striker and it holds up well.
b6b2de8412beefab0dfd66cc2955afc9.jpg
f70f2cea286f37fd32ca5154278050ca.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
I think you need to look more at what frame you prefer.

Been a kifaru guy for years, tried a peregrine and went back to kifaru.

I could make either bag work, the frames are very very different though.

I think you need to look more at what frame you prefer.

Been a kifaru guy for years, tried a peregrine and went back to kifaru.

I could make either bag work, the frames are very very different though.
very much agree. had a peregrine, have a stryker xl now. the revolution frame just didn't fit me as well... loved the peregrine, packed out a few deer and elk with it, but the duplex lite fits me better and handles a heavy load better for me.... many are the opposite, we can't say what frame will fit someone better, and that's a much bigger deal than the bag on it

RCB

WKR
I have used Peregrine for years. Packed out elk, deer, and antelope without any issue. I don't personally haul loads over ~70 lbs but I'm sure the pack could handle it if I were inclined. I'm happy with it and have no interest in looking at other options.
No experience with the Kifaru.

letrbuck

WKR
I stopped playing around with and looking at other packs when I got my peregrine. I've carried very heavy loads comfortably with it, including fully loaded hard side horse panniers (needed to get equipment in that last .75 miles). It is my do all pack now. From day hunting to week long backpack trips

OP
C
I have used Peregrine for years. Packed out elk, deer, and antelope without any issue. I don't personally haul loads over ~70 lbs but I'm sure the pack could handle it if I were inclined. I'm happy with it and have no interest in looking at other options.
No experience with the Kifaru.
Any issues with the Seek Outside gatekeeper buckles? Also how easy is it to separate the pack bag from the frame for hauling a load on the load shelf?

Thanks

RCB

WKR
Any issues with the Seek Outside gatekeeper buckles? Also how easy is it to separate the pack bag from the frame for hauling a load on the load shelf?

Thanks
No issues with gatekeepers. Might have to give more pressure than expected from time to time (though I think they ease up with use), but never had any issues that make me dislike them.
For ease of separation: I can't compare it to any of the competitors, but yeah it's easy. Just a few gatekeepers and two velcro loops. Lots of connection points so you can be pretty flexible with how you strap it all back together. Never had any trouble.
Like most of these companies they have a youtube channel with all sorts of tutorial videos, so check those out.

Thanks
i'm sure he'll answer, but my experience with gate keepers is they are plenty strong, just make sure they are closed all the way before you cinch things down and apply a lot of pressure to them.... i have not had one break besides not closing it (thinking i had) and they will break, but they are fine.... they are also light enough to carry extra.

the meat shelf is well designed, you can adjust the height to balance your load well, and it works well, but for sure familiarize yourself with it before taking it into the woods.... standing over a dead bull is not a good time to learn how the load shelf works.

if the SO frame fits you well, the SO packs are great, there are no big design flaws or weak points on their pack, they are a well designed, reliable pack system, and i would argue the most adjustable frame out there.... they are so adjustable i will revisit them in the near future, because i do think my issues with their pack system could have been user error..... i want one of their integrated packs, because with the materials they use, they are well suited for loading meat into the bag (very easy to clean and keep the mess concentrated)

i'm one of the only people i have heard not finding the frame comfortable with a really heavy load, most seem to prefer their load hauling ability over most packs, which is another reason i feel it could have been user error..... i liked everything about the peregrine besides how it carried a load over 80#.... the year i had that pack i helped pack 2 bulls with it (packed my own that year with my EXO) and packed out 3 whole bucks quartered bone in.... my wife's buck that year was 76# when i got home, it was fine.... my sis in law's buck was similar pack weight, mine was 92# (packing more stuff that day starting heavier as well as a bigger bodied deer) that was also a long pack around 4.2 miles and that was worse than it should have been.... my other sis in law killed a nice buck a few days later on the other side of the same ridge, so basically the same route as my buck, and heavy, and it was pretty easy with my EXO...... this year my pack weight with my buck and gear was 103# minus the weight of my rifle and pistol, and just shy of 5 miles with my kifaru, and it was pretty uneventful in the suffer department..... all of this makes me think i just never got the SO frame dialed in for me, and plan on getting another..... would be about perfect for blacktail hunting here on the coast, and i think they are the best bang for your buck as well.

wildcat33

WKR
I cant say anything about the Stryker. But I do have a peregrine. You can put a ton of gear on the frame if you use a peregrine bag and the load shelf. I'm sure the same can be said for stryker: The major disadvantage of any detachable system is that it puts lots of weight away from center of gravity. I can really feel the impact on balance with the pack pulling you backwards. I much prefer a large tall bag rather than short and wide. Id do a lanner for this reason. Most gear fits in main, including quarters, but in a pinch you have the flexibility to strap a quarter on there and pack out camp and meat at same time.

OP
C
Thanks everyone for the input. I think will try one of the larger seek outside bag with the load shelf. If it does not work for me i suppose I could always post it in the classifieds.

Thanks everyone for the input. I think will try one of the larger seek outside bag with the load shelf. If it does not work for me i suppose I could always post it in the classifieds.
It will most likely be a great pack for you… most people love the revolution frame and how it fits.

If it’s not getting comfortable for you, reach out to them and explain what’s going on, because they are so adjustable, you need to make sure everything is dialed in for your body.

They fill a cool niche, very ultralight pack systems that they have designed in a way that you don’t have to make any big compromise to have a lightweight pack… pretty durable, well designed super adjustable packs.

The peregrine is a good size bag, I think their volume specs are just the main bag, all of the pockets are not factored into the bag volume… it’s noticeably bigger than my exo 3500.

I was able to easily fit a whole bone in quartered buck and my day hunting gear in the main bag (not using the load shelf) the lanner would be good if you were doing trips over 5 days, but up to that, the peregrine is a good size bag that compresses down to nothing

I’m thinking about getting another SO pack, I would love to have an integrated peregrine or something very similar for blacktail hunting… and probably spring bear… I like the idea of their integrated packs because their materials are easy to clean up

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
If the Seek Outside works well for you, I would go that route. Kifaru packs are heavy, and apparently usually heavier than the listed spec.

Put 80-100 pounds of sand backs in the SO, walk 5 miles. If it hurts and you cannot adjust it so it does not. Then look at other packs. If it does not hurt, stay with SO. You will find people who have better luck with Kifaru, but you will also find people who have better luck with SO. Pack fit is very personal. For me, SO does not haul well. My Exo will comfortably haul 120 plus pounds all day in the mountains.

CoMtnMike

FNG
I would second the pack fit being most important. If you have a SO already and can get frame extensions try loading your current pack up heavy - just use some bulk under it and/or tighten lowest compression straps before adding sand bags to keep the weight up off the bottom of the packbag because the load shelf keeps it higher. The frame extensions are key. I have a Lanner and have hauled deer, elk and bear with it no problems. Loading one elk quarter is more simple than trying to stack a quartered deer up and lash it down, but likely the same with other systems. Last year I bought a used Brooks bag on here - this winter I hunted with it and hauled out a quartered mule deer doe with it in one shot - much more simple to just toss all the game bags in willy-nilly, zip it up and compress from the outside...

The Lanner is too big for most of my uses so I am sewing up a peregrine sized bag copying a friends' and that will be the primary hunting pack.

Key to comfort is fit. I love being able to day hunt with a 24" frame and then making it 28" as soon as I shoot something - before I even start cutting. I also love the floating hip belt and variable thickness lumbar pad, just tune the fit to me. I tried on a Kifaru and SG but both put too much pressure on my lumbar and felt too stiff... for me... with just a 5 minute impression

Nelsesmp

FNG
Hi all,
I currently have a seek outside integrated backpack, meaning the non-meat shelf backpack. I am looking at getting their meat shelf with the peregrine pack bag but I'm wondering how it compares with the Kifaru Stryker XL for carrying meat. It would be slightly cheaper for me to go the seek outside route because I already have the frame, shoulder straps, and hip belt. I'm not opposed to spending a few hundred extra dollars for the Kifaru Stryker though. The Kifaru packs just look like they are heavier duty and might carry heavy loads better.

Looking for experiences good or bad with either pack.

Thanks
I have the Stryker. First kifaru pack. Love the frame. Very comfortable. The bag is awesome. Like how you can add stuff to it. Kinda modular. Have hauled elk and two nice white tails. Works well handles load perfect

tracker12

WKR
So will the Stryker bag attach to other frames. I have a Stryker bag that I really like but want something lighter than the Kifaru frame. I do not intend to haul much in it just using it as a day pack