Seek Outside Twilight 3p Spring to Summer Review in Progress

sndmn11

WKR
Finally showed up last night and got seam sealing done today. I should be able to give it a whirl with the stove and hopefully some snow can be forecast.

What do you want to know?

PXL_20240413_205705976.MP.jpgPXL_20240413_210021819.MP.jpg

There's some good info in this thread already

The not-a-bird-dog approves and this is the first tent @KickinNDishin has "wow I like it" remarked at first sight.

@RyanSeek43
@robby denning

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Finally showed up last night and got seam sealing done today. I should be able to give it a whirl with the stove and hopefully some snow can be forecast.

What do you want to know?

View attachment 700083View attachment 700084

There's some good info in this thread already

The not-a-bird-dog approves and this is the first tent @KickinNDishin has "wow I like it" remarked at first sight.

@RyanSeek43
@robby denning
Thanks for taking this on.

single wall?

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
single wall?
Correct.

The floor's "bathtub" is actually about a foot of liner that goes up the wall and is suspended from loops inside the single layer canopy. Then the floor is fixed out to the staking points and pulled tight. My kid was the cord looper guy and he thought it was really neat how it all integrates.

PXL_20240413_221557434.MP.jpgPXL_20240413_221741012.MP.jpgPXL_20240413_221822575.MP.jpg
PXL_20240413_221506427.MP.jpg

Last edited:

crich

WKR
I didnt realize the floor had little sidewalls that went that high. Seems like the ticket for allowing airflow for condensation but preventing a breeze from coming in and hitting you while sleeping.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I didnt realize the floor had little sidewalls that went that high. Seems like the ticket for allowing airflow for condensation but preventing a breeze from coming in and hitting you while sleeping.

I think it will work just like that. We have the roof liner in our Courthouse but no liner in our Cimarron. My wonder with the Twilight might be if there's wind, will we get sprinkled with any condensation that exists above the liner.

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for doing the review.
Do the floor side walls take up a lot of usable space? or do they sit right against the wall?
Any plans to run a nest of any kind in there? My 2 kiddos don't like bugs and I was hoping to be able to run some sort of nest in half of it for them.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks for doing the review.
Do the floor side walls take up a lot of usable space? or do they sit right against the wall?
Any plans to run a nest of any kind in there? My 2 kiddos don't like bugs and I was hoping to be able to run some sort of nest in half of it for them.

The liner is maybe 3" from the wall and follows the same contour down to the floor/bottom of the tent when you tighten the linelocs that snug the floor out. It doesn't take away any space and I think it will be nice to keep things from getting kicked under the wall or sleeping bags from getting wet.

@RyanSeek43 had this to say in the other thread about a nest.
I am indeed! No nest plans and I seriously doubt that that will be. You can however fit a Cimarron half nest in the back portion. You just can't use it with a stove and a nest.

I have never considered a nest in any of my tents. We do use the little tyvek sheets under our sleeping pads, but this floor seems to be immensely better. I let the dogs play inside for a bit to see if their nails would do any boo-boos and I couldn't find any blemishes afterward.

Here's the link to that other thread https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/seek-outside-twilight-3p.344818/

For the guys that have more experience than me, I have a question about sod skirts, and the lack thereof on the Twilight. I know using the floor system in there keeps any drafts out, but if you didn't ever plan to use the floor, does the tent sit tight enough to the ground to not worry about wind/snow/etc getting in?

For the guys that have used cimarrons and redcliffs in the past, do you actually put anything on the sod skirt on the outside of the tent to hold it tight to the floor, or does just having the extra couple inches of fabric on the ground do what its supposed to do?

For the guys that have more experience than me, I have a question about sod skirts, and the lack thereof on the Twilight. I know using the floor system in there keeps any drafts out, but if you didn't ever plan to use the floor, does the tent sit tight enough to the ground to not worry about wind/snow/etc getting in?

For the guys that have used cimarrons and redcliffs in the past, do you actually put anything on the sod skirt on the outside of the tent to hold it tight to the floor, or does just having the extra couple inches of fabric on the ground do what its supposed to do?

@RyanSeek43 ???

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR

I neglected to reply!

Sod cloth goes inside the tent. I have only put gear on it once on one side when it was really windy. In my eyes it's just a little extra "gasket" help with uneven ground when you want to seal up.

I do think you could snug the twilight snug to the ground using the linelocs and a tight knot around the stake. At least on the sides and back, I'll have to play around on the door side.

Sod cloth goes inside the tent. I have only put gear on it once on one side when it was really windy. In my eyes it's just a little extra "gasket" help with uneven ground when you want to seal up.

That makes more sense. Probably would've worked a lot better than on the outside like we were trying...

I do think you could snug the twilight snug to the ground using the linelocs and a tight knot around the stake.

I haven't tried my twilight with the line locs yet, only the webbed loops. Do you think the line locs would get it tighter to the ground than the webbing loops?

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
That makes more sense. Probably would've worked a lot better than on the outside like we were trying...

I haven't tried my twilight with the line locs yet, only the webbed loops. Do you think the line locs would get it tighter to the ground than the webbing loops?
I think so. I tie an overhand knot in the cord about 4-12" from the end, and then butt a slip knot against that. The slip knot goes around the stake head, and the 4-12" tag end becomes my handle to loosen the slip knot. With the slip knot tight, there's only the 1/2" "slack" from the edge of the tent bottom to the stake; the lineloc is taking up that distance. When I do it this way, I can ave the lineloc loose and then drive or push the stake fully into the ground, even a little below the ground if I want, and then tighten the cord with the lineloc. With the loop, I put the stake in and twist it twice but that leaves me with an inch or more of "slack" and I can't bury the stake in deeper.

I am then also setup to control ventilation without restaking the bottom of the tent.

I think so. I tie an overhand knot in the cord about 4-12" from the end, and then butt a slip knot against that. The slip knot goes around the stake head, and the 4-12" tag end becomes my handle to loosen the slip knot. With the slip knot tight, there's only the 1/2" "slack" from the edge of the tent bottom to the stake; the lineloc is taking up that distance. When I do it this way, I can ave the lineloc loose and then drive or push the stake fully into the ground, even a little below the ground if I want, and then tighten the cord with the lineloc. With the loop, I put the stake in and twist it twice but that leaves me with an inch or more of "slack" and I can't bury the stake in deeper.

I am then also setup to control ventilation without restaking the bottom of the tent.

That sounds perfect. Do you have any pics of that? Or would you be willing to post/text me sometime when you do?

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
It was rain/snow overnight so I setup on the wet grass and caught some fog, rain, and snow. Should do the same all night and we will see how bad condensation is with my sleeping in it.

I can get the door pretty tight.
PXL_20240420_010400995.MP.jpg

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
The weather is cooperating and the tent is fine without guy lines to lift the walls.

9p sleeping tight to the wall.
PXL_20240420_025304629.MP.jpg
PXL_20240420_030044709.jpg

1a tinkle time.
PXL_20240420_072846277.jpg
PXL_20240420_072859364.jpg

Things were fine in the morning. I was able to sleep right up against the wall without issue. My quilt did make contact with the wall ABOVE the white side part of the floor/liner when the snow started to build. It didn't cause an issue for my quilt and shouldn't have for any quality shell material.

PXL_20240420_141645545.jpg

When I shook the tent to get the snow to slide there was some water droplets that came off, but they were much less than anticipated.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback on the tent. New to the tent world, that sidewall thing is different. Something to look into. Still not sold on the trekking pole tent mainly because of the slope of the walls.