Seeking WY outfitter recommendations for first elk hunt

Hey guys. Long time listener, first time caller. I will preface my question by saying that I have done a ton of research on this, including on this forum. However, it seems that most of the conversation is based around bulls, and understandably so. As a first time elk hunter, I was hoping to get some advice on finding a cow elk hunt that fits my criteria. I'm also assuming that many outfitters would likely give prime slots to higher paying bull hunts, but I could be wrong about that.

In 2022, I will be hitting the ripe old age of 50, and as I'm new to hunting, would like to treat myself to a cow elk hunt. By 2022, I will have had some deer hunting experience under my belt, as well as a lot of long range shooting instruction and practice. I should be a decent shot, but will still be somewhat of a novice hunter. By 2022, I will probably have a couple of WY preference points which I will have purchased, but would prefer not to use. Over time, I'm looking to buy preference points each year in WY, gain some experience, and eventually do some more difficult DIY hunts.

As for now, I'm looking for outfitter recommendations that might fit well with the following criteria:
  1. Wyoming (because it seems like less pressure and I would like to learn more about this hunting territory)
  2. 3-4 days
  3. Early season in 2022
  4. Cow elk
  5. $3-4k budget
  6. Guided 1 on 1
  7. Private land
  8. Prefer lodge/cabin (but would do wall tent as well)
  9. High chance of draw (no preference points)
  10. Moderately challenging hunt - A huge part of this is acquiring practical hunting skills. I'm looking to pick up some knowledge, rather than a super easy cull hunt while leaned up against a pickup truck.
I'm looking forward to participating in this forum, and I greatly appreciate any input you guys might have. Cheers!

Last edited:
First thing you may want to do is look at the draw odds and determine what units you can draw a cow tag on a 2nd choice so you dont use your points. Once you know that you can look for guides in those areas. You should be able to find a cow hunt for $2500 or less.

You can apply for cow tags without using points. But you won’t learn much about actual elk hunting that’s going to prepare you for diy hunting on private land.

coues craze

Lil-Rokslider
Good to know. Is there a special draw for them or do they just not use points for any cow tag?
Full price cow tags will absolutely use your bonus points. Reduced prices license will not and they are separate drawing than the full price licenses.

This will be my first year applying for a tag in WY. I am thinking about taking my nephew or a friend and paying for their cow tag. I would like a companion to help pack out a bull if I get one down. Is the reduced price tag like a leftover type draw? Want to make sure I do their application correctly.

coues craze

Lil-Rokslider
This will be my first year applying for a tag in WY. I am thinking about taking my nephew or a friend and paying for their cow tag. I would like a companion to help pack out a bull if I get one down. Is the reduced price tag like a leftover type draw? Want to make sure I do their application correctly.
No it’s not a left over draw. Type 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 9 are full price licenses and 6,7,8 are reduced price licenses. They are separate draws.