Wilderness hunt

I’m looking for a few wilderness archery elk hunt recommendations with a quality outfitter. I’m from Maryland, took my 16 year old son in 2022 on a wilderness hunt in central Montana. Great camp and guides but seen very few animals. Closest one was 80 yards. Seemed as if this camp and guides were more tuned to rifle hunts. I’m planning on going again in 2025, I will have 3 points in Mt and in Wy. Have also considered Co, Ut and Id. Would like to stay around 6000.00. Any first hand recommendations would be great!

KHNC

WKR
Hopefully your Montana money wasnt wasted on cody carr up there. But, you described his operation exactly. Wilderness in WY is your best bet, but not sure if you have the points for it. Look for an outfitter up in the areas in NW of the state that are mostly wilderness. Rifle tags up there take a lot of points, but not hard to get archery tag for September in several of them. Tags get leftover since usually no elk outside of wilderness in September.
Also, check out Dave Nelson at www.nelsonoutfitters.com . First class guy and operation. They hunt MT and WY both.

OP
T
Hopefully your Montana money wasnt wasted on cody carr up there. But, you described his operation exactly. Wilderness in WY is your best bet, but not sure if you have the points for it. Look for an outfitter up in the areas in NW of the state that are mostly wilderness. Rifle tags up there take a lot of points, but not hard to get archery tag for September in several of them. Tags get leftover since usually no elk outside of wilderness in September.
Also, check out Dave Nelson at www.nelsonoutfitters.com . First class guy and operation. They hunt MT and WY both.
No it wasn’t CC. I had read enough to stay away from his outfit. Thank you for the information.

Honestly I would probably spend more. It’s just hard to justify 10,000.00 for a hunt. I understand there is a lot involved for the outfitters.
Unfortunately there's plenty of people who can afford it and outfitters charge what the market will bare. The more successful outfitters who consistently take the bigger critters are charging $10k+ and they're booked years in advance.

Wilderness areas aren’t always the best habitat or hunting. Do yourself a favor and forget wilderness. There are great places to go back country hunting that aren’t technically “designated wilderness”.

wytx

WKR
Wilderness drop camp in Wyoming might not be legal, you have to have a guide in the field with you.

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Probably going to have to spend the money. If I recommend anywhere to go it would be the Thorofare. Never been deep into it, but hunted the edges and have heard some amazing things about that place.