Sell camera to find gear? I think I'd miss it!

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
I've had an SLR/DSLR since the mid-90s. I take a ton of images. I probably have a TB or more in hard drive. I often shoot in RAW and edit in Lightroom.

I don't do it as much anymore bc it's cumbersome and I've got a phone.

Recently, I considered selling it all to purchase gear: a spotting scope, lightweight tripod, higher-end scope, etc.

But then I shot a buck this year and was reminded how limited phone cameras are. I forgot to shoot in RAW with it, which would've helped blow them up bigger.

Here I am planning my first western diy hunt and thinking I might miss having it. Much of my photography is landscapes, too. The western hunts are full of vistas!

I don't have the latest but I have some good glass - which I'll never get my money out of as don't had moved on to a different mount (grrr) for it's mirrorless bodies. (Yes, there's an adapter...)

Bodies:
Sony a700 (crop-frame sensor)
Sony a900 (full-frame)
Glass:
Sony 70-200mm f2.8 APO G
Sony 85mm f1.4 Zeiss
Oldies but goodies:
Minolta Maxxum 50mm 1.7
Minolta Maxxum 70-210 f4 (beer can)
Minolta Maxxum 24mm f2.8
Some flashes, wireless triggers, Manfrotto heavy tripod, etc.

On the other hand, if like to upgrade the body but can't afford the newer stuff it seems. Could consider selling a body and the 85mm bc I use the 70-200 more.

I don't really know what I'm asking. It's a personal decision for sure. Have any of you regretted selling a camera or not bringing it?

Thanks everyone.

idcuda

WKR
Sounds like you know you'll miss it if you decide to just use the phone camera. Might look at offloading most of that gear, then using the money to get a new/used mirrorless aps-c with a zoom kit lens. The camera land crew could set you up. There are some great setups, like the Olympus they're advertising now in this forum.