SELLERS BEWARE! Selling Firearms using PayPal.

A user on here recently purchased a firearm from me. The buyer agreed to pay for actual shipping charges and PayPal fees without stipulation. The rifle was shipped USPS for the cheapest rate possible and tracking was passed on to the buyer and PayPal. USPS then lost the rifle in transit and the buyer initiated a PayPal fund reversal. PayPal says because I didn't ship it to the address in his PayPal account I'm liable and the funds will be reversed and I'm out both the money and the rifle. It would be illegal for me to ship it to the address in his PayPal account since firearms need to be shipped to an FFL. IMO this is extremely dishonest as a buyer. It's a shitty situation for both of us but as a seller I do not understand how I am responsible for the lack of personal responsibility from the buyer.

OP
streetdoctor
The takeaway is if you sell a firearm here and use PayPal and the buyer is less than honest they can have PayPal reverse the fee and you will lose. The only way around this is if the address in the buyers PayPal account is the actual address of their FFL. If you sell ANYTHING on here and use PayPal and do not insure it even if the buyer does not request it or the buyer agrees to pay shipping, and the carrier loses it, in PayPal's eyes you will LOSE.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’m confused. If the package didn’t show up that’s not the buyers fault. Why is he on the hook? When my Amazon package gets lost I call Amazon and tell them the package didn’t show up.

I’ve sold 2 items that have been lost in the mail and I refunded the buyer in both instances. One I bought insurance and one I didn’t. Oh and don’t use usps! Also, decent chance the gun still shows up.

OP
streetdoctor
I’m confused. If the package didn’t show up that’s not the buyers fault. Why is he on the hook? When my Amazon package gets lost I call Amazon and tell them the package didn’t show up.

I’ve sold 2 items that have been lost in the mail and I refunded the buyer in both instances. One I bought insurance and one I didn’t. Oh and don’t use usps! Also, decent chance the gun still shows up.
I agree with you it was neither of our faults. If the buyer agrees to pay shipping but does not request insurance, you still feel that's the sellers responsibility? When you sell something and the seller doesn't mention anything regarding shipping how do you ship it? Do you send it next day air or ground?

I don't trust PayPal, I had a bad experience where I got scammed by a chinese company for counterfeit NorthFace apparel. PayPal sided with the seller inspire of my timely actions and evidence. My bank was able to recover my funds thanks to my using my debit card. I won't use them again.

OP
streetdoctor
Doesn't PayPal prohibit firearms transactions anyways?
I just spent 20 minutes on the phone with them and the gentleman I spoke to seemed to believe it would be ruled in my favor. They did not say anything about prohibiting firearm transactions though. I genuinely didn't look into that aspect of the deal.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I agree with you if the buyer requested insurance and the seller didn't provide it. If the buyer agrees to pay shipping but does not request insurance, you still feel that's the sellers responsibility?
If the buyer explicitly said he didn’t want it insured then that is a different story. I didn’t read in your post that he asked that it NOT be insured.

OP
streetdoctor
If the buyer explicitly said he didn’t want it insured then that is a different story. I didn’t read in your post that he asked that it NOT be insured.
So if he doesn't request insurance, you assume he wants it insured? For how much? Sale price? MSRP? Cost to replace? 50%?

Just a FYI to all forum users with paypal. Firearm related transactions are strictly prohibited (you sign the user agreement that defines all of it.)

Our paypal account was locked and all funds seized. It stung, but that's what we get for not reading the fine print!~

Ucsdryder

WKR
So if he doesn't request insurance, you assume he wants it insured? For how much? Sale price? MSRP? Cost to replace? 50%?
Well it seems pretty obvious the answer is the selling cost. That way both buyer and seller are made whole. And the shipper will ask for a receipt and you can use the PayPal transaction as a receipt.

OP
streetdoctor
We're you really expecting PayPal to cover a firearms transaction?

They will likely close your account and theirs.
Neither of the two representatives mentioned anything about it and I told both of them it was a firearm so I could not legally ship it to the PayPal address of the buyer. I was ignorant to that I guess. I've sold easily 5 figures worth of goods through PayPal in the last 15-20 years on PayPal. I think my account is as old as they are... It wouldn't break my heart if I lose access though. :ROFLMAO:

Ucsdryder

WKR
Just a FYI to all forum users with paypal. Firearm related transactions are strictly prohibited (you sign the user agreement that defines all of it.)

Our paypal account was locked and all funds seized. It stung, but that's what we get for not reading the fine print!~
How do they seize your funds? Did you get them back? Do they keep them? Sounds like theft!

How do they seize your funds? Did you get them back? Do they keep them? Sounds like theft!
They Lock up your account - no longer giving you access to your funds. You can view it all you want, you just cant use it - same for venmo!

They get to keep all of the funds - it's clearly described in the user agreement - sad fact!