SELLERS BEWARE! Selling Firearms using PayPal.

Not that I'm in the habit of actually reading terms & conditions documents (nor do I expect others to be), but PayPal's policy does very clearly prohibit firearms transactions.
1658795756233.png

Ucsdryder

WKR
And it’s only been that way forever.
I think most of us know the rules, but the alternatives aren’t great so we play the FF game or keep it quiet. The part I didn’t know is that they steal your money if they find out!!!

tony

WKR
Yeah Ill 3rd that, the insurance is for the seller/shipper, not the buyer.

3 pages- no mention of the USPS police looking into a lost firearm? Seems like that would be a big deal no?

And the buyer used his home address as well if I’m reading right?
Thats illegal as well right?

It's a gray area and I can see both sides of the argument, but I'm in the camp of shipping risk being on the seller unless explicitly agreed to otherwise. Based on the facts presented thus far, I don't think the buyer acted dishonestly; he assumed you were assuming the shipping risk and you assumed he was assuming the shipping risk...that's a lot of assuming, and now we've just got a bunch of jackasses braying about the situation.
istockphoto-146762468-612x612.jpg

I agree with you it was neither of our faults. If the buyer agrees to pay shipping but does not request insurance, you still feel that's the sellers responsibility? When you sell something and the seller doesn't mention anything regarding shipping how do you ship it? Do you send it next day air or ground?
I have always figured insurance was to protect the seller from this very situation. It technically isn’t his until the transfer takes place at the FFL. Firearm related transactions are against paypal policy anyway - you were playing with fire. That sucks man, but that isn’t on the buyer.

An item being delivered in good acceptable condition is the sellers responsibility. As such, insuring an item is the sellers responsibility, as the insurance pays the seller/owner of the item, not the purchaser.

If you want to be safe with firearms transactions, whether you are the seller or buyer, use Guntab.com.

OP
streetdoctor
It's a gray area and I can see both sides of the argument, but I'm in the camp of shipping risk being on the seller unless explicitly agreed to otherwise. Based on the facts presented thus far, I don't think the buyer acted dishonestly; he assumed you were assuming the shipping risk and you assumed he was assuming the shipping risk...that's a lot of assuming, and now we've just got a bunch of jackasses braying about the situation.
View attachment 432340
agreed.

OP
streetdoctor
Yeah Ill 3rd that, the insurance is for the seller/shipper, not the buyer.

3 pages- no mention of the USPS police looking into a lost firearm? Seems like that would be a big deal no?

And the buyer used his home address as well if I’m reading right?
Thats illegal as well right?
The gun shipped to his FFL. USPS police are a joke. Yes they were contacted and a report was filed with the local PD as well. I'm really hoping the rifle still shows up cause I feel for the buyer as well. The whole situation sucks.

fwafwow

WKR
I’m sorry this happened to both of you. The issue of who is responsible for delivery is debated a good bit on a FB group dealing with EDC (we even cite the UCC and various exceptions). I think most buyers assume they don’t have to pay if the item doesn’t arrive (but what if it is stolen from the buyer’s front porch?) In the absence of explicit details, someone is likely to be disappointed. I’ve bought and sold, with and without insurance - but always with some discussion. Although sometimes the level of specificity makes me feel a bit odd or like a di€£, but I’d rather be clear. In some of my recent sales I’ve said that my responsibility ends when I hand it to UPS and forward the tracking info - even if there is insurance (which answers my porch theft scenario - as requiring a signature doesn’t always work).

Even with all of the above, I often just don’t know if buying or selling through these forums is worth it. But then I do it again.

I also think PP will mess with your balance for knives too.

Rob5589

WKR
Look at it this way, the item belongs to the seller/shipper until it's delivered to the buyer/receiver. I'd want it insured for the full replacement value if said situation happens. Shipping, delivery, insurance, is the responsibility of the seller. Unfortunately the USPS base insurance is 50 bucks. Which you're unlikely to get unless you can prove what was in the box. Been there, done that.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Sucks but it’s on the seller. I sold a box of bullets to a guy who was too stupid to write his correct zip code. I had to pay 25.00 for a package intercept to get them back. So ~ 50 dollars (maybe 60, I don’t remember) I refunded, I lost the shipping g money and had to pay 25.00 to get them back. I basically paid 32.00 so my bullets could go to some fly over state and then back to me in AK.

dtrkyman

WKR
I used to manage a gun shop…Guy shipped in a gun and he got tracking that it was delivered.

It was not, to us anyway, USPS had an investigator at the shop that afternoon, they found it pretty quick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
So if he doesn't request insurance, you assume he wants it insured? For how much? Sale price? MSRP? Cost to replace? 50%?
The insurance protects you. If the buyer doesn't get the product, he gets his money back - exactly what we're talking about here. You are out the gun and the money. Sucky way to learn that lesson.

It's not paypal's fault the gun was lost, that falls on USPS. They should have some kind of insurance on the package. Call em and find out - might only be $50 or $100 but that's better than nothing.

If it was insured, they would pay the insured amount to cover the loss of the gun. You would give that to the buyer and both of you would "be whole": Quick example: I sold a fly rod to a guy - dropped it off at the shipping place and they said they'd package it, have a nice day. Arrived broken to buyer. The insurance covered the loss of the fly rod. In the end, he paid nothing and I got the $ I wanted for it. Guy glued a dowel in it and hung it as wall art. Shame cause it was a nice rod until the kid at the UPS store used it to play swords or whatever.

Fedex lost a gun that I purchased through the classifieds last year. Package was missing for a couple days. I opened a case with Fedex notifying them that they lost a firearm. Somehow they found it within a couple hours. So, did the buyer jump the gun on the claim or did they know the loop hole in the system?

def90

WKR
I buy insurance any time I sell something to someone online period. Also, whether you bought insurance or not I’m assuming you filed some sort of claim with USPS letting them know the package they “lost” was a firearm? They seem to get on those cases pretty hard and often times come up with a box that they found leaning up in a corner in some sorting facility somewhere. They are pretty capable of tracking and finding items when they decide it’s in their best interest to do so.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve been down this road before, they investigate themselves so you can’t win.

“Dear customer, after reviewing this case, WE have determined that WE are not responsible”….

The gun shipped to his FFL. USPS police are a joke. Yes they were contacted and a report was filed with the local PD as well. I'm really hoping the rifle still shows up cause I feel for the buyer as well. The whole situation sucks.
Any updates?