Separate Layers vs Multiple Function Garments

jj554

Lil-Rokslider
Is there any benefit to using a jacket/pant with multiple functions (wind proof, insulation, quiet face) instead of just building the same functions with good layers (insulation layer, windproof layer, quiet outer layer). An example I would consider a multiple function piece is a Sitka Fanatic. It has all three of those in one piece but you can get the same effect for the same price or less with three quality layers. Has anyone experimented with both of these approaches?

TN2shot07

WKR
I like the layers because it gives me options, if I don’t need one of those layers then I can remove it or mix & match. The other side of that is more stuff to keep up with. That’s said, the fanatic is a fine piece of gear.

mcdil

FNG
Exactly what TN2shot07 said. If hunting out west where I could be glassing and sitting in the shade and wind for a while or suddenly hiking straight up a canyon in the sun (never seems to be downward, hmm), the multi-layered approach is definitely preferred.

Stand hunting here in TX, the all-in-one is probably a bit tidier, but either would work just fine. Overall, I still think I prefer the layered approach due to options.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
It depends on what you’re doing, static vs active/varying activity levels.

For static whitetail hunting, then I think the “all-in-one” makes sense. The example you give of the Fanatic jacket is specifically designed for that. I walk in cold so I don’t get sweaty, then will put the heavy outer layer on once I’m in the stand.

If you’re going to be active, and particularly going active to static regularly, then a layering system is a must.

OP
J

jj554

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input. I should have clarified that I'm in the Appalachian mountains with nasty briar patches and I sweat like crazy so any high end technical gear would be packed until I'm stationary. For some reason the gear marketed to whitetail hunters is still mostly the multi function stuff and I'm curious if a layered approach would have the same effect and be more versatile for other environments. Some guys say that they can never get as warm with a layering system for all day sits as they can with the multi function cold weather gear.

Honyock

WKR
Another vote for layering. If you ever do a western hunt, you will be able to use a lot of the same baselayers and midlayers.

I prefer layers for whitetail and for hunting out west. I don't like large bulky jackets or coats for bow hunting. I don't like the noise of puffy clothing for tree stand hunting either. I have several different first lite layers that I put on or shed as needed

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor