Serious Bino Shopping...

Colberjs

WKR
I have a whole bunch of rewards points saved up on my credit card and I’m looking to burn them on some serious glass!!

I had my heart set on 12x50’s. I currently have a set of 8x42 Vortex Viper HD’s.

My typical year is a week long elk hunt in CO and a couple weekends hunting in the wide open rolling hills of western OK. In both areas I mount my binos on a tripod for the majority of my glassing. The rest of the time is closer to home in eastern OK where my 8x42’s work just fine in the trees.

I also have a Vortex 16-48x65 Razor HD spotted.

Outdoorsmans advised me to go straight for the 12x50 Swaro EL’s. Jared at AGC recommended the 10x42 Swaro SLC’s. I’m wondering if the Swaro’s are really worth the extra money over some other brands for my application. I could get the 10x42 SLC’s and a pair of 12x50 Razors for almost the same price as the 12x50 EL’s.

Pleas, help me out!!!

OP
Colberjs

Colberjs

WKR
You already have 8x42s. They’ll do everything a 10x42 will. No need to have 8X, 10x, and 12x. Get the Swaro 12x50s. Between those and your 8s you’ll be covered.

Thanks. I should’ve added, if I got the 10’s I would more than likely sell the 8’s. I agree there is no need in having all three.

mt100gr.

WKR
I've been on the same path for the last 11 months. I traded into a zeiss spotter that suits my needs and really developed a taste for 15s. I also needed to replace my vortex 10s. Tall order, no doubt.

This past spring, a buddy went all in and ordered a zeiss package, crazy expensive but good investing, I say.

Anyway, he had a set of 15s, 10x42 RFs and a spotter shipped so I could play with them first. I didn't even unpack the spotter as I am content with my Dialyt for my needs. I had my vortex, his RFs and another friends EL range binos to compare. As well as the zeiss 15s.

Any chance I got I tried others as well. Zeiss 10x HTs, Swaro ELs, Swaro SLCs, Leicas of a few varieties and a few others.

Of all of them, the SLCs seemed the best for my eyes. Every time I raised them to my face the view was comfortable, the adjustments were easy, and my eyes felt very much at ease.

2 weeks ago I had a chance to buy the zeiss HTs or the Zeiss SFs at a great discount. I made two more trips to compare the HTs to the SLCs (no SFs around). I really wanted to love the zeiss, as with the discount, the "value" was greater than the best price I could imagine on SLCs.

Today I got the notice in my mailbox that I needed to sign for a package from cameraland. My SLCs are here.

The top tier stuff is all better than good. Find the ones that fit your eyes. Make it a quest to buy your last set of binoculars. Good luck! ....and call Doug at cameraland! 20190323_084549.jpg

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It would be our pleasure to discuss all options with you and assist you in every way we can. We reopen Tuesday.
Have a great holiday weekend
Doug
516-217-1000

Since last season I’ve been wanting to upgrade my glass from 8’s. I looked at possible option I could think of. I chose the EL 12x50 for my style. It was a big purchase for me and i will comment in November or December whether it was the right choice.

Don't rule out the Meopta Meostars. Great glass and warranty for the money.
For sure. I’d go a step further and say just great glass period even at a higher price. I picked up the 12x50’s and could not be more impressed. FOV, eye relief, clarity. My 9 year old was very impressed, lol. $1100 with a $100 gift card included at OpticsPlanet.

LightFoot

WKR
They way I see it is keep the 8x and go with the 12x50. If you can afford Swaro or Leica, go fo it. Otherwise, Meopta, Leupold, Vortex, or similar.

Spend your money on experience before you spend it on fancy gear.

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
My philosophy is buy the best I can for my chest binoculars, which I use the most, and will be the most used for finding and stalking something in the red zone. I have the 8x42 slc for that.

The Meopta 12x50 is incredible glass, and I may own it again someday. Unless I just go to the 15x56.

I will second the Meostars. I have the 7x42, 8x56 (great night glass), 10x42 HD and the 15x56 HD (to use on tripod) I compared the 10x42 HD to the Swaro 10x42 SLC and the 10x42 EL over several hours from late afternoon to after dark (birding). I could not see any difference with the Meostar and SLC and much prefer the Meostar focus knob. The SLCs were lighter though. The EL had a better image than the Meostar and SLC but it was not $1500 better and after dusk it gave me only 2-3 minutes more viewing light to see the details of birds. It was way past shooting light anyway. I wanted to try the Zeiss HT since i heard they are excellent in low light but haven't had the chance yet.

The other binos that i have compared and beat out my Meostar HDs are the Zeiss SF and Leica Noctivid. Again, either of these are more than $1500 more than the Meostars. I really liked the Zeiss SF image and especially the balance, i could hold them still better than any other 10x42s, i think because how the weight is distributed. I compared the Meostars to the Razor HD and to my eyes there was no comparison, in favor of the Meostars. Ive also compared the Meostars HD to the Zeiss Conquest HD and much prefer the Meostars. The Conquest has a faster focus if that is a priority,

Good luck chasing the optics dragon!

BluMtn

WKR
Bite the bullet and go for the 12x50EL's. you will never wonder what it would be like to have a pair if you go another direction. I tried different Binos and finally spent my way to Swaro. could have saved myself some money starting there first. And no I am not a fan boy just have looked through enough glass to know when you have reached the top of the mountain.

Graves14

WKR
I have been in a similar predicament for this past season. I thought I needed to go from 10's to 12's but after spending significant time behind 10x42 SLC's I can promise you that the incredible glass more than makes up for the difference in magnification.

Between SLC's and EL's to my eyes the only difference is that colors seem to POP more with the EL's but they are also heavier and $1000 more than the SLC's.

In the end , I am currently selling some stuff to fund 10x42 SLC's. I can't imagine wanting for anything using that setup both off hand and on a tripod.

Hope you find what you are looking for. I would give Rob at S&S Archery a call, he's been extremely helpful in navigating through all the options.

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider
Around here you can occasionally find stores that sell Cabelas/Bass pro gift cards on the rack with all the typical Lowes/ HD etc gift cards. They will sometimes, like on Black Friday, offer 20% off the purchase of any gift cards up to $500. Last year I bought $1800 worth of gift cards for just over $1400...then you wait for a storewide sale or a $50 off sale etc. you can buy a pair of SLC for under $1300 bucks out of pocket. Just another way to think about it.