Setting up a Blitzenburger jig and right helical clamp with short vanes

rhendrix

WKR
Bought a used jig and clamp a couple of days ago and just received it, I currently shoot blazer vanes but will be switching to AAE max hunter vanes to help steer my slick tricks better. Having a hard time getting a decent amount of helical with blazer vanes though, looks more like an offset vane than a true helical vane. Am I doing something wrong or do short vanes just not look as pronounced as feathers with 3* helical on a shaft?

wapitibob

WKR
Short vanes aren't long enough to see much of the "helical" and end up being an offset. Just loosen and offset the clamp, making sure you still have shaft contact with the heel/toe of the vane.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Thanks, I know I've seen blazer vanes with a 3* right helical before, anyone know how to accomplish this?

jmez

WKR
Alot of fine adjustment with both the position of the vane in the clamp and with the set screws on the jig.

I am not sure if they did this with Blazers, or another vane. I heard that Ulmer was cutting part of the clamp off to some how get helical or offset. I plan on emailing them here in the near future. If I find anything out I will post it.

The helical on the short vanes wont seem as noticeable, but it will be there.

I can cut my 4" vanes in half, and they wont look nearly as helical as if they were full length. But its there. When I experimented with Blazers, looking from the side didnt appear there was any helical to them, appeared to be just an offset. But sight down the arrow from the rear and you could see that curl.

Look at them from the rear, if you can see the "flat" of the vane, the helical is there.

BSeals71

WKR
Yeah, I cut mine off with a hack saw. It helped out a lot getting a good solid contact with the vane & arrow shaft.

utuny4u4.jpg

I am not sure if they did this with Blazers, or another vane. I heard that Ulmer was cutting part of the clamp off to some how get helical or offset. I plan on emailing them here in the near future. If I find anything out I will post it.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Yeah, I cut mine off with a hack saw. It helped out a lot getting a good solid contact with the vane & arrow shaft.

utuny4u4.jpg

How much more helical and offset were you able to get? I got it set up and am pretty happy with what I have so far.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Help me out, how does cutting it give you more helical. The clamp still is magnetic to base and moving the clamp in and out is done with the dials. Someone explain, because I am not afraid to cut mine off if it works.

lintond

WKR
Help me out, how does cutting it give you more helical. The clamp still is magnetic to base and moving the clamp in and out is done with the dials. Someone explain, because I am not afraid to cut mine off if it works.

If you cut off the front then you have less issues with fitting up good contact along the length of the vane. With mine some positions the front of the clamp would be tight to the shaft, but the middle wouldn't be in contact. By cutting off the front you get more flexibility in position adjustment.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just looked over mine and the diameter of the shaft seems to make more of a difference. Bigger arrows allow for mor helical if you cut the clamp, but smaller and the end of the vane comes off the shaft.

SDHNTR

WKR
I took a grinder to the front end of my Bitz clamp. Can't say it resulted in more helical, but it did help with adhesion. The best thing I did for max helical (AAE MH vanes too) was to ditch the Bitz and get a AZ EZ Fletch Mini.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The AZ EZ Fletch doesn't allow you to move your vanes further down the shaft. I run my vane 1" from the nock bushing so I don't have any face contact. I think you have to put the vane in the AZ against the back end or they won't stay in place. I do know the put on the most helical though.

ontarget7

WKR
Bought a used jig and clamp a couple of days ago and just received it, I currently shoot blazer vanes but will be switching to AAE max hunter vanes to help steer my slick tricks better. Having a hard time getting a decent amount of helical with blazer vanes though, looks more like an offset vane than a true helical vane. Am I doing something wrong or do short vanes just not look as pronounced as feathers with 3* helical on a shaft?

I would be curious to know your setup and specs ? When in tune you should have no issues with those Blazers getting Slick Tricks to fly good at all.

I do like the AZ EZ Mini for fletching 6* helical's. Hardly ever use my Blitz jigs anymore

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
I'm shooting a carbon matrix with RKT cams set at 70# and at 28.5" DL, the arrows I'm running are Easton axis nano's cut to 28.75", total arrow weight is 415-418. I don't have any issues with the blazer vanes, I'm just tinkering right now, I figure helical vanes are always superior to straight vanes when it comes to fixed bh flight so I'm just going to switch to helical and see if my bh groups tighten up.

ontarget7

WKR
I'm shooting a carbon matrix with RKT cams set at 70# and at 28.5" DL, the arrows I'm running are Easton axis nano's cut to 28.75", total arrow weight is 415-418. I don't have any issues with the blazer vanes, I'm just tinkering right now, I figure helical vanes are always superior to straight vanes when it comes to fixed bh flight so I'm just going to switch to helical and see if my bh groups tighten up.

What spine and where are your broadheads grouping in relation to your fieldpoints ?

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
.340 spine, and they group well, my groups just open up some beyond 40+ yards, was hoping that switching this might tighten them up some.