Setting up a Kifaru Woodsman

Glynn

FNG
Hey all, new guy on this forum, wanted to ask for some suggestions on setting up my new Woodsman.

Have been elk hunting with a two pack system for a couple of years and decided to go to one do-it-all pack finally. Pard and I usually only pack in about a mile and a half from the trailhead to a spike camp that we then hunt from in about a three mile radius. Have been using an old black Longhunter to get there and then switching to my foilage Express to hunt. I have just hunted with the LH in daypack mode but wanted to upgrade my frame and change colors too.

So.. I need a few more cu. in. to get my stuff to camp. The Guide lid would probably do it. I'll be running a 24 in. frame so should be some room beneath the pack bag for my 4-man to strap to. Maybe a couple small pockets for the belt or one low on the side to hold the bottom of a trek pole or spare arrows?

I suppose I'll eventually end up with one of everything you can attach to it, would love to see pictures too. (searched a couple) I ordered mine in ranger green, belt and pack, color combo ideas are welcome.

colersu22

WKR
I have mine set up with a gen 2 claymore as a lid and a Sherman pocket on the bottom( use to use a grab it). I also have a medium belt pouch on the fold over snow collar and one on the belt with a nalgene and Fhf rino pocket.

Attachments

• 531F6CC8-C482-4275-A9D3-7C4CB01F03CC.jpeg
    531F6CC8-C482-4275-A9D3-7C4CB01F03CC.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 250
  • 5E6DED1F-8806-4BDB-8810-144A7138AC52.jpeg
    5E6DED1F-8806-4BDB-8810-144A7138AC52.jpeg
    211.3 KB · Views: 250
  • FFAE0BAC-02C7-4B99-B4E3-D4953174E3D0.jpeg
    FFAE0BAC-02C7-4B99-B4E3-D4953174E3D0.jpeg
    218.2 KB · Views: 238

JDB9818

WKR
I also ran mine with a Claymore as a lid and Sherman on the back. Also have a small belt pouch on waist belt.

Sorry my bow is in front of the picture but it is the only one that I have that shows this set up.

008cd8d509c4ec08221f91e933a776ba.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BAKPAKR

WKR
Mine is usually set up with a small pouch on the waist belt, a medium pouch on the fold over collar, and a guide lid. When I have used the Woodsman to pack in my camp, I just put a large dry bag on the load shelf and filled it with my heavier gear to keep the weight closer to my back.

I would have trouble carrying both camp and any significant amount of meat out of the woods at one time in the Woodsman but I know there are lots of people out there who pack much more efficiently than I do.

OP
G

Glynn

FNG
Thanks for the replies and pics, never thought about the Claymore as a lid. With the Sherman that would get me close to 4500 ci. I usually have some room left on my pack into camp, don't fill my LH lid full. Putting my tipi under the bag is also going to free up some space.

I don't have to plan on packing both meat and camp down at the same time, getting too old for that anyway. Even if I have to take an unplanned extra day, I will go back and get camp.

Dry sack with the food and heavy gear in-between is a good tip.

colersu22

WKR
I have both a 26” and 24” frame and have also used the medium roll top pod to fill the void at the bottom of the bag for my sleeping bag and it fits great. Unfortunately kifaru doesn’t make the roll top pods anymore.

kvdenney

WKR
Following this. Also considering a woodsman. I was thinking of an OG Lid and maybe some medium pockets in the side of a scope pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

Glynn

FNG
Got my pack in the mail today. I ordered the new frame first and when it arrived I realized that the belt cinched down clear to the buckle so I sent the belt back for an exchange. It shipped today so maybe have everything here for the weekend.

Plan is to load it out just like the hike in and see what fits and what doesn't so I can make choices on the accessories. At least till I get a tax refund, safety bonus, etc. or sell some of the other gear I don't use anymore and then buy one of each on that page.

First impression is that big ass snow collar might just eat everything I got and just need a nice cap of some kind, especially with the tipi down under instead of inside. Second is, that it's going to collapse down to be a great day pack.

Aron recommended this pack from an e-mail I sent him last year. I honestly thought he must of misunderstood that my current pack was 5200 ci. No, the Woodsman is going to be perfect for my type of hunting and light enough to do weekend + backpack trips as well.

OP
G

Glynn

FNG
Thought I read where some change out their autolock clips for regular. Not sure I like them that much but have just been packing and unpacking stuff at the house so far. Which ones would I ask for?

Also like the looks of the Lg. compression pocket or the Shape Charge for lighter bulk stuff. Is there a way to attach those to the back or do they only fix to the sides of the Woodsman? They will be coming off at spike camp so access to the Woodys rear zip shouldn't be a thing. Or a Shape Charge on both sides and then keep stuff organized in them when they are off in the tent?

OP
G

Glynn

FNG
Well, just decided to start buying some accessories and see what works. Started with a nalgene holder and a spotting scope pocket. Looked like it was easiest to attach, center back, and 600 cubes. Still may get some kind of lid and change those clips out.

I used my woodsman with no additional pockets. If I couldn't fit what I needed in it I put my guide lid on it. If that's not enough room then the woodsman bag comes off and the reckoning bag goes on.

I'm not a huge fan of adding a bunch of pockets and then having a small bag weigh as much or more than a larger bag. Plus you can spend enough money buying add on pockets that you could almost just buy another bigger bag used.

The woodsman is a great bag though, I like mine.

OP
G

Glynn

FNG
Hey Brad, great post and a reminder of when I started with Kifaru that no frills/pockets was the mindset. If you needed a bigger pack they had one. I worked on getting my 5-9 day gear down to standard Longhunter size and the only thing outside was a Z-pad and TP poles. I did have to spend a half day restocking food at mid week.

Side by side the Woodsman looks real close to my old LH without the lid and my last few trips about the only thing I had in the LH lid was a big plastic bowl and light personal items. I have been putting off packing it for a mock trip but going to do that now.

Of course I already spent the money, ha ha. I did want the nalgene pocket for hunt mode so I don't have to stop for a drink. The scope pocket is 5 oz. and I could use it for camp/xtra arrows, TP poles, and small misc. on the way in too. Oh well, it's why I have a job. Someone might need that unused and at a reduced price too.

Did you get used to the auto lock clips?

I hear you. I have a bunch of pockets and stuff I don't hardly use and still see some pop up in the classifieds and I want to buy them from time to time.

I end up switching between 4 different bags on my kifaru frame, an exo 3500 bag, mountain rambler, woodsman, and reckoning. Before I got the new lite frame my old setup was a gen 2 duplex frame and highcamp 7000 bag that got used for everything. I prefer what I use now over the old one.