Setting up a paper tuning rig in my garage

MattB

WKR
You can use a cardboard box pretty easily for paper tuning, just fold in the flaps on the sides that open and tape the paper across on of the open sides.

OP
J

Junibravo

FNG
You can use a cardboard box pretty easily for paper tuning, just fold in the flaps on the sides that open and tape the paper across on of the open sides.

I tried that last year. Worked good enough. But i am looking for something more durable this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

Junibravo

FNG
a82d4facd514cb58300f180f6a147c78.jpg

Ended up making my paper tuning rig with pvc pipe and freezer paper based on a youtube videa. Cost less than $50.
Turns out my garage is 24ftx24ft and i can only get about 5 yards from my paper realistically. Do u think that is enough space to accurately paper tune or will that prevent me from getting accurate tears because its too close?

Turns out my garage is 24ftx24ft and i can only get about 5 yards from my paper realistically. Do u think that is enough space to accurately paper tune or will that prevent me from getting accurate tears because its too close?
Yes, you can paper tune with that amount of space. You want to be close enough to the paper that the fletching hasn't had a chance to correct the arrow but far enough that you don't get a false tear due to the arrow still being in paradox. The "ideal" distance is debatable. It's good practice to confirm your tear at two distances before making any changes. I start at 6' then move back to ≈20' to confirm.

BWSmith

FNG
This is gonna be a novel,short story?

Built this first as a cart to haul sporting clays shotguns,and a cpl boxes of clays down in our woods. Worked pretty good. Has U shaped padded yokes that bolt on to hold two shotguns.

Then, the family made a trip to the outer banks a few years ago and converted it to use as a cart for cooler,rods,and tackle.

Been a trad bow shooter/builder for over 50 years! Just recently got into compounds. Got hooked on long range stuff..... we have a near pro level 3D course down in the woods so have plenty to practice on.

I was sitting there one day looking at the clays/fishing cart and the lightbulb came on. That thing would make a dandy frame for paper tuning? So added the upper round rod frame. Use those black office supply spring clamps. This whole upper frame can be slid up/down,tightened by ho made winged screws.

Works great. This pic is when it got shot with some black paint. Was using it yesterday. The frame is sized to utilize that construction,hardwood pink paper.

Screenshot_20220213-070917_Gallery.jpg

OP
J

Junibravo

FNG
Yes, you can paper tune with that amount of space. You want to be close enough to the paper that the fletching hasn't had a chance to correct the arrow but far enough that you don't get a false tear due to the arrow still being in paradox. The "ideal" distance is debatable. It's good practice to confirm your tear at two distances before making any changes. I start at 6' then move back to ≈20' to confirm.

Ok cool. Somehow i thought the closest distance was 6 yards and not feet.

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting! Thanks for enlightening me, learn something new every day.
Check out APA Archery in Canada. Zero tools (press/vise) required to tune./setup. I just did it all on a picnic table in -16 C winter conditions.