Setting up a Tikka 6.5cm

RussDXT

WKR
So my NC rifle for whitetail is a Bergara 18” 6.5 cm. I like it, and it’s a shooter but it’s a little heavy.

Thinking about getting a Tikka t3 x in ss and chopping the barrel.

Does anyone know what length you have to chop that barrel to have enough diameter for a 5/8x24 threading?

I’m thinking I’d go 18”. Any reason to go shorter/longer?

Gonna run UM rings and a swfa 3-9 if I do this.

Thanks!

OP
RussDXT

RussDXT

WKR
I was hoping it would get down thick enough at that 18” mark. I’ll probably have Thunderbeast do it and add a cb brake so it should work.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
This is the way to go. You can have it cut to any length with this modification. I’d personally go 18”.

Attachments

• IMG_4850.jpeg
    IMG_4850.jpeg
    663.9 KB · Views: 93
I was hoping it would get down thick enough at that 18” mark. I’ll probably have Thunderbeast do it and add a cb brake so it should work.

TBAC could face mount a cb on it but it wouldn't have enough shoulder for standard 5/8 threads at 18". I had my t3x lite 6.5 chopped @ 18" and threaded 9/16" which gave it real close to 0.100" shoulder IIRC.

MAP1

Lil-Rokslider
Consider a lighter stock for your Bergara might be the cheaper route.

If you’re doing a CB brake anyway just do 9/16. There’s enough meat at 18” for 9/16. Otherwise you’re doing some well boy adapter when you don’t need to.

ElPollo

WKR
If you want something lighter, why add unnecessary weight with a CB break? Once you use a can you are unlikely to want to shoot a short, breaked barrel ever again. Thunderbeast makes fine cans, but all their BS about alignment and adapters is complete overkill. Don’t overthink this. Adapters work fine and threading a barrel straight and true is not a strange voodoo practice. A local smith who is a competent machinist should be able do it.

Jimbee

WKR
If you want something lighter, why add unnecessary weight with a CB break? Once you use a can you are unlikely to want to shoot a short, breaked barrel ever again. Thunderbeast makes fine cans, but all their BS about alignment and adapters is complete overkill. Don’t overthink this. Adapters work fine and threading a barrel straight and true is not a strange voodoo practice. A local smith who is a competent machinist should be able do it.
A brake or adapter of some kind is part of a thunderbeast supressor, it's either welded in the can (direct thread) or on the end of your gun.

WKR
I had TBAC chop a T3 at 18" and install their brake on it. Worked fine with no drama. Being in Littleton, its an easy drop off there when you need it done.

ElPollo

WKR
A brake or adapter of some kind is part of a thunderbeast supressor, it's either welded in the can (direct thread) or on the end of your gun.
There’s a great reason to look closer at other suppressor manufacturers.

Thunderbeast makes fine cans, but all their BS about alignment and adapters is complete overkill. Don’t overthink this. Adapters work fine and threading a barrel straight and true is not a strange voodoo practice.

I'm curious what qualifies you to know more than the actual engineers at one of the best suppressor manufacturers in the world?

ElPollo

WKR
I'm curious what qualifies you to know more than the actual engineers at one of the best suppressor manufacturers in the world?
I’m no engineer, but the suppressor industry has changed a lot over the last decade. There are lighter, and quieter options that give nothing up in either durability or accuracy.

I’m no engineer, but the suppressor industry has changed a lot over the last decade. There are lighter, and quieter options that give nothing up in either durability or accuracy.

So you call their position BS, but you don’t have a clue… Got it.

atmat

WKR
Shopping around is never silly.
For sure. But you’re indicating that one should shop around because their direct thread option is using near-permanent mounted brake. That’s a silly reason to look away from an otherwise great company/product.