Sewing Machine

Lil-Rokslider
What type sewing machines are you guys using for making your own gear? Brand/Model? Thanks

colonel00

WKR
Kinda depends on what you want to make and how much you are going to make. I have a fancy Brother electro-computerized machine that does like 3.2 million different stitches of which I use 3. But, it does just fine for silnylon stuff and it will handle at least 500D cordura fine. Now, I'm not going through 4 layers of Cordura and tripled up webbing either. It's also important to use good, new needles for tougher stuff and take your time.

OP

Lil-Rokslider
It would just be used for my personal use and I would like to be able to sew some thicker stuff. I would like to learn to make some of my own gear. Also,the sewing will all be new to me so I don't need a super fancy one.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
I am keen to work on making some DIY pack bags and quilts, I recently acquired a singer 99k machine since it has metal internals and should be able to handle the sewing of webbing etc.

I tried to get it working the other day and for some reason when I tried to stitch, it punched the holes in the fabric but it didn't leave the thread in the stitching, I'm guessing that it is probably due to the tension settings but I need to experiment a bit more so I can get some projects started.

colonel00

WKR
It would just be used for my personal use and I would like to be able to sew some thicker stuff. I would like to learn to make some of my own gear. Also,the sewing will all be new to me so I don't need a super fancy one.

If just starting out, hit the thrift stores or just drop $100 on one from Amazon or your local fabric store. I have a thread from a few years ago on making pullouts and other stuff. That's a good place to start. As Lockster mentions, you can find yourself a "heavy duty" machine but in the end it might cost a bit of coin to get it running or you can pay quite a bit for a new machine of great quality. First though, I would get something to work with and make sure it's something you really want to spend the time and money pursuing.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
My wife wouldn't let me touch her sewing machine due to my propensity to break, damage or otherwise bugger things up so I got mine off eBay for $10, so it can be pretty cheap to pick up an older machine if you choose to go that route.

I did a bit of research (actually a lot of it, plus talking with people who sew) and bought a Bernina Record 830 (non-electronic) machine. Swiss built and runs like a Swiss watch. Plenty of good used machines out there, but also plenty of trouble waiting so buy with some degree of caution.

ChrisS

WKR
Singer 401A

Pushing 60 years old and runs like a top. I've had some issues with thread tension, but I've basically maxed it out and I haven't had further issues. I can punch through several layers of webbing and cordura and its delicate enough for silpoly/silnylon as well.

I picked up a singer model 66 on craigslist for about $100, it's an electric machine from 1930. It will puch through about five layers of nylon webbing if I put a new sharp needle in the machine.

I also just picked up a kenmore rotary machine for 40 bucks off ebay, i like it because it has reverse. I need to clean and service it but just like the singer it has metal internals with go through quite a bit of material.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

OP

Lil-Rokslider
Would a Singer 401A be a good starting machine? Here in Fairbanks, Alaska there is not many places to look/buy machines. You can buy new ones but I don't want to invest a lot at first until I see I can/like sewing. I have found a couple of Singer 401A that are fairly cheap and shipping isn't to bad. Thanks again for the help.

5shot

Lil-Rokslider
I am keen to work on making some DIY pack bags and quilts, I recently acquired a singer 99k machine since it has metal internals and should be able to handle the sewing of webbing etc.

I tried to get it working the other day and for some reason when I tried to stitch, it punched the holes in the fabric but it didn't leave the thread in the stitching, I'm guessing that it is probably due to the tension settings but I need to experiment a bit more so I can get some projects started.

Sounds like a timing issue...the shuttle hook isn't grabbing the top thread.

I have a Janome DC2007LE. It has a metal body and is very easy to use. It works great on nylon, cordura, and webbing and has several stitching settings that are very easy to configure and use.

cmc

FNG
I've been using a Singer 4411 Heavy Duty. Amazon Prime got it to my house for about $140. It'll chew through multi layers of heavy canvas & cordura. Also stack on several layers while attaching webbing straps and it hasn't stopped yet. My only wish is that is had the capability to stop with needle down or up position but that seems to only come on the $$$$ models. I need to add a walking foot for the sil tarp work I'm doing but for general backpack work, canvas and or hunting clothing repair I have a hard time beating the price. Here was a video that talked me into it being it's so easy for a beginner to learn to use. Singer Classic Heavy Duty Extended Beginners Tutorial - YouTube

Beendare

WKR
A couple years back I tried finding one of those old workhorse machines. I was spending a lo of time running one down. I had one on craiglist sold out from under me as I was driving an hour to purchase...the guy took $50 more and it was gone before I got there. I was spending a lot of time screwing around....

So I went into the sewing shop and bought a Juki TL2010.....it mows through a couple layers of webbing and the thick stuff no problem.

OP

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I finally found me a Singer 401A and it's headed north to me now. I can't wait to get it and start learning to sew.

Willow

FNG
Clean, oil, and check your needle plate and needle strike by slowly rotating by hand. Get some good Singer oil. Buy some new needles (14 & 16's should be fine), extra bobbins, a zig-zag plate and foot if you don't have them. I'd also recommend you buy an LED light. The extra white light helps allot. Did you get a manual with it? If not, you can download the PDF.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk