WKR
Zeiss V6 3-18 x50

vs

Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18 x 44

300 wsm
Hunting and targets

I’ve never used FFP

What say toy experts ?

How far will your hunting be? Any close range stuff then either sfp or ffp with a reticle that has thick lines that run all the way to the edge.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
50 to 600. Is what I’m comfortable on game too targets further.

What are you doing for windage? Prefer to dial or hold?
My preference is a duplex sfp scope out to 300. Anything past that and I'm shooting ffp and holding for wind using the reticle. The perfect optic for me honestly would probably be sfp with mil windage marks, I only hold for wind on max power so it shouldn't make a difference.

HuntnPack

WKR
I’ve used SFP for years also. Have tried a few FFP recently. Consider your reticle preference, & the useable appearance of the reticle, & if you intend on dialing for distance & wind, or using hold correction.
As well as Your desired Scope power range requirements.

Time permitting I prefer to dial correction for first shot with reticle centered on target, at clearest desired power setting.

SFP holds I typically do at manufacturers calibrated top or half power settings only, then do a full or half value Sub-tension correction. I have to pay attention to my settings.

FFP holds are nice in that I can make 1 moa
Corrections at any power settings, by dialing or hold.

Both FFP & SFP have there benefits,
& both can get the job done, just a few different Operating requirements.

My newest scope is a NF NX8 4-32x50 with
MOAR reticle. Wide power range covers my
requirements, & useable reticle on lowest setting that can be illuminated.

Good luck on your choice. 👍

Last edited:

madcalfe

WKR
id go for the mark 5HD i was just going to buy one but the reticle i wanted wasn't in stock so went with a kahles k3i. this is my first FFP scope and im liking it. reticle is pretty small on 3-5 power but as long as your have illumination on its manageable.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I use both, it’s never been a problem, just need to remember to turn up the magnification when using a sfp scope, it’s not rocket science.