SG Helio - Bottoms question

Vandy321

WKR
Needed a late season, glassing type mid layer.

For a base I have SH Chinook or a smart wool 250, instead of layering them, I thought maybe the 250 weight and then a fleece mid (helio?)

Outter are SG dehaviland, not a true winter pant, but with the right layers I should be OK. Also have their grumman puffy pants and a OR rain shell to block wind.

Is the helio a true fleece mid? Is there an warmer option or something you like better for any reason?

Or is my money best spent on a winter pant and I can layer my 2 merino bases? Minimal hiking, lots of glassing, we're packing in, usually in snow, so never tryely able to warm up.

I carry a woobie to help seal in warmth for glassing too. My upper mid is a arcteryx naga fleece, but they don't make a pant like that. Hheluo was the closest I could find

slowelk

WKR
I used the Helio bottoms last year over the Sitka core lightweights and never wanted for puffy pants. They are a great option when it gets cold, and the side vents make them highly adaptable for long climbs.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I used the Helio bottoms last year over the Sitka core lightweights and never wanted for puffy pants. They are a great option when it gets cold, and the side vents make them highly adaptable for long climbs.
What temp range was that and is that stationary? We sit a ridgeline with strong winds and temps not typically above freezing, single digits in the morning. I've found definitions of "cold" vary greatly. Temps in 20s and winds in teens-20s is cold to me.

slowelk

WKR
What temp range was that and is that stationary? We sit a ridgeline with strong winds and temps not typically above freezing, single digits in the morning. I've found definitions of "cold" vary greatly. Temps in 20s and winds in teens-20s is cold to me.

Stationary in 20s and under, especially with wind may require a different solution. You're right that temp and comfort are subjective, but with a pant that blocks wind decently, a base layer, and the helios you'd be pretty well setup for the majority of hunting situations. I hunt all over MT and consistent temps between -20 and 20 are pretty rare from October through November, and I'm probably not hunting in the bottom-end of that range.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Stationary in 20s and under, especially with wind may require a different solution. You're right that temp and comfort are subjective, but with a pant that blocks wind decently, a base layer, and the helios you'd be pretty well setup for the majority of hunting situations. I hunt all over MT and consistent temps between -20 and 20 are pretty rare from October through November, and I'm probably not hunting in the bottom-end of that range.
To be clear, that was temporary in the 20s and winds in the teens to 20s, didn't mean temps to -20.

Single digits at night, warmer during the day. It's just the wind on that ridgeline that hurts. Even with a sheep tarp, woobie and wind proof outer layers, I tend to get cold.

Thinking the helio will be the fix for the mid-layer on the lower half.

sounds like you sold yourself on them lol

if your truck hunting buy 2-3 bottoms and test one each day and then next year your even more refined.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
sounds like you sold yourself on them lol

if your truck hunting buy 2-3 bottoms and test one each day and then next year your even more refined.
Not sold yet, just haven't herd any recs for anything warmer.

Kostrize

WKR
If you’re not looking for zip off or vented, the ECWCS Level 2 pants should be as warm or more so than the Helio. They’re an R1 weight. The Patagonia R2 Techface pants would be warmer yet

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
If you’re not looking for zip off or vented, the ECWCS Level 2 pants should be as warm or more so than the Helio. They’re an R1 weight. The Patagonia R2 Techface pants would be warmer yet
Thanks, hadn't seen those R2s before may try to find them locally to put hands-on

I like mine but after a year of use I’ve decided to go back to peloton 97. Helio is a bit warmer but also heavier and less stretch and cannot remove without taking boots off. In true cold it’s not an issue. I got them because my 97s would bunch below my knees and then the zipper lined up with the DeHavilland and Grumman pants.
I finally called KUIU and they felt the next size up in 97 would fix my fit issue so back to those and my helio bottoms will be for sale when I get around to listing them.

H80Hunter

WKR
The Patagonia r1 pants are a really nice mid layer. They don’t have zips or anything but if it’s cold enough I’ve got a base layer, pants AND a mid layer, I’m not super worried about venting.

Lowg08

WKR
I have the Helios they are nice but I’ve also run into the preference for zip offs

Is there a good reason not to wear the helio bottoms as a base layer? Should I be wearing a thin base underneath them?

Will be hunting Montana in November for the first time. This Texas kid is trying to figure out a clothing system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a good reason not to wear the helio bottoms as a base layer? Should I be wearing a thin base underneath them?

Will be hunting Montana in November for the first time. This Texas kid is trying to figure out a clothing system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope no reason. That is how I wear mine. Two base layers then pants gets a little restrictive.