Sharpening Iron Will Broadheads

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
For anyone that uses Iron Will Broadheads, I'm curious what you found to be the best and most efficient way of sharpening the blades? All recommendations welcome but preferably from people who actually use IW and resharpen themselves.

M_talking10

Lil-Rokslider
I use the worksharp field sharpener. I've found it to be the best way to sharpen my IW's, both single and double bevel.

JoeDirt

WKR
I use a work sharp for both single and double bevel. Im strictly using single bevel with no bleeder Iron Wills now. They're the easiest to sharpen and leave a decent hole. Ive sharpened the bleeders with the work sharp as well but its a pain.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
I use the stay sharp jig with sandpaper takes a little time but gets em sharp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I remove the bleeders and put them in a some locking pliers or a short arrow shaft i have aet aside. I use a spyderco stone set and then finish on a $10 strop from Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

For touch-up I use the little v-bar sharpener they sell.

To actually sharpen them I use the stay sharp jig. It's time consuming, pulling the blade, setting the blade in the jig several times, I usually just do the main edge and the tip, don't worry about the back edge and I just replace the tiny little bleeders. Big piece of marble that I put sandpaper on, then buff on cardboard.

20220517_085825.jpg20220517_085817.jpg

For those who haven't seen them, pretty basic, but it works well. Pretty certain I had less than $20 in it, but that's been a few years ago.

Last edited:

M_talking10

Lil-Rokslider
I use the worksharp field sharpener. I've found it to be the best way to sharpen my IW's, both single and double bevel.
I have tried the Stay Sharp jigs for SB and DB ironwills and they are a lot more precise for sharpening the broadheads. Highly recommend.

Twitch

WKR
Stay Sharp 100%
I shot completely through a bull on Friday, pulled the arrow out of the ground, cleaned it off with a toothbrush at home and using the Stay Sharp guide and rubbing compound on some cereal box cardboard I had it back to shaving hair on my arm in about 10 minutes.

For touch-up I use the little v-bar sharpener they sell.

To actually sharpen them I use the stay sharp jig. It's time consuming, pulling the blade, setting the blade in the jig several times, I usually just do the main edge and the tip, don't worry about the back edge and I just replace the tiny little bleeders. Big piece of marble that I put sandpaper on, then buff on cardboard.

View attachment 411836View attachment 411837

For those who haven't seen them, pretty basic, but it works well. Pretty certain I had less than $20 in it, but that's been a few years ago.
That's how I sharpen mine tried using a knife sharpener and guide it worked but man that steel is so hard it's easier to have a set angle and just keep working

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

cjdewese

WKR
Are you guys sharpening them out of the box or only after your shooting it through some stuff. I am finding them very very sharp ouy of the box.

Are you guys sharpening them out of the box or only after your shooting it through some stuff. I am finding them very very sharp ouy of the box.
I touch them up a bit more on a piece of cardboard coated with stay sharp buffing compound.

What angle on the double bevel blades?

I think it's a 40 degree double bevel.

So 20 on a single edge.

Edit- found this in the FAQ's section on IW
Start at 20-22° on a double bevel head and 32° on a single bevel head, working to remove material in very small increments.

I know the knifes are a little different, I think they are actually hollow ground. Hard to get consistent contact on the edge. Broadheads have a nice flat grind.

Last edited:

WoodBow

WKR
I know this is a thread from last year that got bumped up but I thought I'd add to it since was I use has not been mentioned.

I use a kme sharpening jig. It's the same concept as the stay sharps, just nicer and will last forever. I own the stay sharp jigs as well and used them before I bought the kme.

Using quality diamond stones is a very big upgrade from sandpaper. Most sand paper is cheap aluminum oxide and dulls basically immediately. Those diamond stones stay sharp forever and remove material very efficiently. The down side is they are significantly more expensive than sand paper.

They are very easy to get super sharp with this system. It sucks that you are sharpening 8 separate blades, essentially. That just adds time. If i do my part, I can get them to cut hair mid shaft.

TX_Diver

WKR
I used the stay sharp when I had the Iron Wills. Ultimately that was my main reason for selling them though is they take awhile to sharpen.

I'd sell the jig if anyone wants it as I'm not using it anymore.

I used the stay sharp when I had the Iron Wills. Ultimately that was my main reason for selling them though is they take awhile to sharpen.

I'd sell the jig if anyone wants it as I'm not using it anymore.

Were you using paper or were you using stones?