Sheep Boots

Has anyone used the Crispi Nevadas? I have Lowa Tibets and bought the Nevada's this year at the sheep show. I love my Tibet's but was looking for something a little lighter. I dont have a ton of time in the Crispi's yet but like them. Just looking for anyone who's used them on a sheep hunt.
I haven't, but they're very similar to the Valdres Plus and I love my Valdres to the point they're worn out. 3 months ago I was looking for a new pair of boots. It came down to going with the Nevada GTX or the Zambarlan Baltoro Lite GTX. I chose the Zambarlan's only because it was a little stiffer around the ankle and a lighter boot. But I think you made a great choice.

Fit is waaaay more important than brand
Absolutely correct. I’ve learn that the hard way and it cost me a lot in time, money, and blistered / sore feet. Well fitted boots are essential gear on a mountain hunt. Select a few quality mountain boot models with specs and features you like and try them on with the exact socks you plan to wear. If they aren’t a decent fit for your feet to start with no amount of customization is going to make them just right. Move on until something fits well to start with. Then play around with tweaking, if desired.

Reactions: WCS

puppyhat

FNG
I know that hunting specific boots are made, but as an eastern hunter, I don't think I would be able to take advantage of any of the aspects that make a "hunting" boot a hunting boot, whatever they are. If you're looking for hunting boots, I'd say just get an over-the-ankle hiker that doesn't squeak and offers lots of support. I personally think the Salomon 4D is the best boot that's ever been on my foot ($225-$250).

Do not get boots that are really tight around your foot. Your feet will get cold immediately without room to wiggle your toes, a little room, that is... an insulating layer of air. Your feet will be popsicles in Michigan if you hunt late season / stand hunt if you are wearing boots that are really snug on your feet.

ColeyG

WKR
Does anyone use la sportiva makalu?

Yes. The Makalu is a general use heavy backpacking and/or moderate mountaineering boot. They are fairly blocky, heavy, and bulky and built on a roomier last than most other sportiva mtn boots. They are a solid boot with a stiff sole/shank which is great for steep terrain and side hilling.

Personally I prefer the fit and design of the Trango line (cube gtx) for sheep hunting as they are lighter and much more slim and trim than the makalu and similar boots.

Last edited:

ColeyG

WKR
Any thoughts on synthetic vs leather

I think synthetic, in a high end boot, is lighter and dries faster. Durability is pretty close to the same, though good, well taken care of leather probably edges out synthetic when it comes to durability when used hard over time.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. The Makalu is a general use heavy backpacking and/or moderate mountaineering boot. They are fairly blocky, heavy, and bulky and built on a roomier last than most other sportiva mtn boots. They are a solid boot with a stiff sole/shank which is great for steep terrain and side hiking.

Personally I prefer the fit and design of the Trango line (cube gtx) for sheep hunting as they are lighter and much more slim and trim than the makalu and similar boots.
You can ship Trango Tower models to US from https://www.oliunid.com/. Ive bought two from there since they’ve been discontinued in the NA market.

My Dall hunt in the brooks range was in mid August and I did not wear insulated boots. The night I spent on the mountain was cold, wet and windy but not so cold to be dangerous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I haven't, but they're very similar to the Valdres Plus and I love my Valdres to the point they're worn out. 3 months ago I was looking for a new pair of boots. It came down to going with the Nevada GTX or the Zambarlan Baltoro Lite GTX. I chose the Zambarlan's only because it was a little stiffer around the ankle and a lighter boot. But I think you made a great choice.
Very intriguing have a pair of colorados I wear daily, also Scarpa charmoz in closet for steep s**t. Looking at baltoros to replace colorados. They closer to Colorado/nevadas or Mountian boot stiff? I ran asolos for two years Scarpa width is great after a little stretch ran revs for 2 years before asolos

Very intriguing have a pair of colorados I wear daily, also Scarpa charmoz in closet for steep s**t. Looking at baltoros to replace colorados. They closer to Colorado/nevadas or Mountian boot stiff? I ran asolos for two years Scarpa width is great after a little stretch ran revs for 2 years before asolos
The Baltoro's are the lightest boot I've ever worn. I like them a lot BUT they have not been tested by me in the field. That said, I go sheep hunting in August and I plan on wearing these boots. They're tighter around the ankle than my Valdres or my guide GTXs and your foot doesn't slide around but you hardly notice you are in the boots. Like they feel tight around the ankle but no where else and I got a snug fit. The first thing you notice walking around in them is they are way lighter on the feet.

bard

Lil-Rokslider
Hanwag Alaskan gortex. Year 8. have never had a mark on my feet even on wet years. They are not comfy for my specific foot but they are bulletproof and keep my feet in prime shape. I am going to go with the same model but try a wide next time. My two sheep hunting partners rock the same boots.

sh406

FNG
As mentioned above, a boot that fits well to your foot is crucial, much more important than brands or anything else, really.

I have found that La Sportiva boots fit my feet well, so I have been using them for years.

I like to wear stiff boots when sheep hunting. I have flat feet, so I wear orthotics, and stiff boots help tremendously.

I have La Sportiva Trango's for most hunting and hiking until deep snow flies. I don't typically need insulation until it is full-blown winter, but my feet run hot so to each their own.

In late season, I have La Sportiva Nepal's, which are a stiff, insulated, mountaineering/ice climbing boot. They are awesome. My cousin that lives in AK uses these on dall/mountain goat hunts. He also has flatter feet, and the stiffness seems to help him out a ton as well.

Many of the sheep hunters I hunt with have used Mendl's or Zamberlan leather boots for decades. Stiffness seems to be the common theme amongst most of the boots I have seen guys wear sheep hunting.

Lowa Tibets for me. Bought these about one month ago. Have just over 50 miles in them ,breaking them in on training hikes with my pack and 52 pound sand bag. They were nice to begin but are getting better every time I walk. Support, tough and comfort what more do you need ?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here’s my take as a Colorado resident. You will end up over 10,000 where the terrain is steeper and rockier. Footwear is really subjective and personal so I’ll just list features. 1-deep lugs for traction. 2- good protection around your foot to prevent stubbing toes, etc. 3- I wouldn’t go insulated for this hunt. 4- ankle support but not ski boot overkill. 5- You want mountain boots to hunt in, not boots marketed for hunting. 6- Don’t overthink leather vs synthetic. I just went back to leather because the boot as a whole is great. 7- I know I said that I wouldn’t talk brands but I’m the one person who absolutely can’t wear Lowa’s. Doesn’t mean they’re bad, just don’t solely look at brand names.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Lowa Tibets for me. Bought these about one month ago. Have just over 50 miles in them ,breaking them in on training hikes with my pack and 52 pound sand bag. They were nice to begin but are getting better every time I walk. Support, tough and comfort what more do you need ?
I wish I’d tried Lowas earlier, I got my first pair a month or so ago and they are great. I got the mountain evo because they were like 200.00 off and the tibets were full price. Same boot but the evo has 200g of insulation.