Sheep Hunt Gear List

HI everyone,
Hoping to get some advice and feedback on my gear for my first Dall Hunt. Outfitted, Brooks Range, Aug 10-19.
I do backpack hunts frequently in the rockies but am only a few miles from main camp or the truck if something goes wrong.
Initial pack weight included rifle and 100oz of water. No food included yet and i don't need a stove since the guide will have one. I don't know exactly what type of tent will be provided either.
Thanks
Sheep Gear1.jpg
Sheep Gear 2.jpg
Sheep Gear 3.jpg
Sheep Gear 4.jpg
Sheep Gear 6.jpg

DennisT

FNG
It looks to me like you have thought things out pretty well. Definitely talk to the outfitter about the tent they will be supplying. Most outfitters supply decent equipment, but you never know. Also, you might want to talk to them about your spotting scope and tripod. They may recommend not bringing them, which will save you a few pounds. Post some pics when you get home. Best of luck, Dennis.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Your list looks pretty good! A lot of the outfitters have really nice spotting scopes and will identify a shooter ram for you. You're going to want to save weight anywhere you can and this may be a good place to shed lbs.

19hunt92

Lil-Rokslider
I went through the same preparation that you did, I was able to cut out the sleeping pad, tent and spotting scope on my end since the guide already had the supplies needed. Also check the water, I only needed a liter bag and a bottle, we camped on water every night where i was.

Kotaman

WKR
Clothing list looks pretty good, but I would cut the Kelvin Active. As much as I like that piece, it never seems to make the cut when I'm packing for a mountain hunt. You've got the Klamath Hoodie, the Brooks Down and your rain jacket. That set up should get you through about any weather imaginable. Other than that, your list looks very good. I also don't bother with a Bivy. Used to take my Ti Goat, but never used it. How about electrical tape? I agree with above comments, I never take my spotter on mountain hunts with a guide. Some guys can't live without their spotter, For me the weight penalty isn't worth it when a guide is carrying one.

Glendine

Lil-Rokslider
Perhaps do not buy a camera your iPhone has sufficient quality to record the trip.

Id suggest you bring 20 rounds of ammo - its the piece of equipment that gets the job done literally,
Accidents happen rifle fall etc a re zero may be required.

A gun cover would be an additional thought solo hunter type system - can double up as a shooting rest.
What is your shooting rest system for the hunt a bipod?

And last the very best of luck to you make memories not dreams !

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
Add super glue to your first aid kit, it doubles as a bunch of other shit too.

Wapiti1

WKR
Bring a book
Or a fully charged Kindle with several books. Don't underestimate how boring it is sitting in a tent waiting for the rain to stop and the clouds to move on.

Get the camera. I am not a fan of phone pictures for anything but showing them on the phone. Don't skimp on your memories.

luekotape for your feet. Wrap about 10 feet of duct tape around something as well. Also, a couple strips of Tenacious Tape.

Not sure you need the Sitka jacket or the puffy pants.

Trade the bore snake for an Atsko rapid rod folding cleaning rod. Bore snakes are great until you have to push mud or dirt out of the barrel. Then it is just a limp worthless noodle.

Jeremy

OP
Marine4life
A gun cover would be an additional thought solo hunter type system - can double up as a shooting rest.
What is your shooting rest system for the hunt a bipod?

I have never liked a bipod attached to my rifle and was planning on using the pack or rocks with jacket. Suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
I have never liked a bipod attached to my rifle and was planning on using the pack or rocks with jacket. Suggestions?

For going prone, the pack works fine. If I have to sit to get "over" terrain, I like to carry the old sitting height Stoney Point Pole Cat Rapid Pivot (now Primos) snap on bi-pod. I carry those sticks with me in my pack on every hunt. Use them all winter coyote hunting as well. I have yet to find anything I like better.

PM me Marine4Life. I guide for one of the NE Brooks Range outfitters. My outfitter I work for is very hands off of my operation and his camp is about 45 miles away. We have the legally required comms but that is about it for my guide camp. I provide all of my own equipment to my particular site. I figure I am the face of the operation and want my client to be using what I am most familiar with which is second to none. I also Iike to know what they are bringing. I have a word doc list that I send out to all my clients that is a 10-day client list. I also send out a 22-day guide camp list that I bring to my particular camp. This way you know what is available as well. I believe in good communication between my clients and myself. I am already talking with my clients that are coming this August and have been for a couple months now. I personally like to know my clients long before I meet them at the strip.

I can send this 10-day client list if you'd like. It is very detailed. But again, find out what your actual guide you will be paired with will have IN CAMP. With that info you can pair up or down depending. BTW what outfitter will you be hunting with this year? Good luck.

Listen to what DoubleBroomedMountainRifles says. If I'm not mistaken he may end up being your guide or at the very least works for the outfit you are going with.

And yes bring a book! That is the single place this lower 48er was not prepared for, waiting out the snow...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

If you are bringing your phone, download books for it. Will save weight, and you can bring as many books as your heart desires. I've been known to blow through a book a day during the big storms.

Glendine

Lil-Rokslider

Hi,

Consider putting a Spartan bipod on your rifle the weight is next to nothing.
there are however many different bipod options on the market.

A pack is a fine rest but if a second shot is required or if the animal has moved it can be hard to re - position both the rifle and the pack and in hunting situations it smooth, quick precise and practice that prevails.

Regards,
Glendine.

Wapiti1

WKR
You have trekking poles. Rifle rest needs solved.

There are several ways to use the straps on the poles to makes them into instant shooting sticks. Use your pack as a rear rest.

Jeremy

cbeard64

WKR
You really need to follow the advice above and coordinate with your guide. There is a lot of potential for needless doubling up on that list depending on what the guide brings. Especially with things like first aid stuff, cooking stuff and kill kit. I’ll bet you could shave pounds on those things alone.

With an IPhone X there is no need for a camera. I have had magazines use my IPhone pics for stories with full page photos without issue.

Other thoughts: Ditch the pillow. Use your down/primaloft jacket and a stuff sack.
Do you really need two water bottles (with a bladder do you even need one)?
I would leave the Kelvin jacket and puffy pants behind.

Anyway, my random thoughts.

Have fun and good luck!!