Sheep hunt information

schmalzy

WKR
Yeah, "Don" emailed me back yesterday and said that they were cutting back on the amount of sheep hunts right now because of the situation with sheep numbers right now in AK. He said that they were having to actually cancel a BUNCH of hunts for the time being so they can properly manage the problem. On the flip side he explained that they have like a 160 average with several going over 166+. I didn't ask him, but is Ultima Thule private land ??. I had read that a place does exist in Alaska that's THOUSANDS of acres of private land for dall sheep hunts. I'm guessing this place is it ??

I don’t believe it’s private land, I think they have a few concessions in GMU 13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR
Yeah, "Don" emailed me back yesterday and said that they were cutting back on the amount of sheep hunts right now because of the situation with sheep numbers right now in AK. He said that they were having to actually cancel a BUNCH of hunts for the time being so they can properly manage the problem. On the flip side he explained that they have like a 160 average with several going over 166+. I didn't ask him, but is Ultima Thule private land ??. I had read that a place does exist in Alaska that's THOUSANDS of acres of private land for dall sheep hunts. I'm guessing this place is it ??

That’s in the brooks on native land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madcalfe

WKR
as a bc resident I can hunt all the sheep over the counter. but if I were to book a hunt I think without a doubt i'd be going with backcountry bc and beyond in Cesar lake, Yukon with Dustin roe

OP
L

ld2507

FNG
as a bc resident I can hunt all the sheep over the counter. but if I were to book a hunt I think without a doubt i'd be going with backcountry bc and beyond in Cesar lake, Yukon with Dustin roe
Yeah I ran across Dustin's name several times. He looks like a guy who certainly knows his stuff. I haven't seen his prices for dall sheep hunts but I know his prices for Stones are high AF. But then again, "ALL" guided stone's hunts are currently that way.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Gana River in the NWT (killed some crankers this year) is @ $34K for backpack and $36K for horseback for 2024
Doc-I talked to Harold at the Sheep Show this past January. He had no openings till 2025 and no pricing other than it would be “significantly higher” than the 2024 pricing.

Doc-I talked to Harold at the Sheep Show this past January. He had no openings till 2025 and no pricing other than it would be “significantly higher” than the 2024 pricing.
Glad to hear he’s booked up, and also not surprised

WCB

WKR
That's crazy..... Too much... The NWT outfitters haven't even cleared 45k.
I honestly think it isn't "too much" Alaska his hurting and bet that Dall hunts will average mid 40s in another year or two anyways. Desert Sheep will be the "cheap sheep" soon enough.

That's crazy..... Too much... The NWT outfitters haven't even cleared 45k.
I agree it is a lot of money but obviously they continue to book out years in advance and it's worth it to a lot of people. Gana is first rate. They took some impressive sheep this year

OP
L

ld2507

FNG
pricing could be in Canadian maybe so $35K US for 2024 going up to $38K US in 2025
It was in U.S. Dollars..
I honestly think it isn't "too much" Alaska his hurting and bet that Dall hunts will average mid 40s in another year or two anyways. Desert Sheep will be the "cheap sheep" soon enough.
You certainly have a point with that. I never thought I would see the day that it will be cheaper to go to Mexico and score on a desert bighorn vs a Dall sheep (minus the limited draw areas in AK).