Shingles Recommendation

CHSD

WKR
We are going to be re shingling our house in a few weeks. Does anyone have any shingle recommendations? I've got four buddies that have done it in the past, and another 8 that have said they will help tear off. Just want to make sure I get good shingles. Also any tips would we well accepted.

Should add. We live in South Dakota, so gets cold in winters and hot in the summers.

We currently have turbines for ventilation, best to keep them? Or should we get a roof ridge, or slant back vent?

Last edited:

jags

FNG

Class 4 hail impact rating

Metal roof FTW.

Cost a touch more but more durable. won't clog up your gutters with the glued on particulate like shingles, Can be painted if it starts to fade or you want to change the color. Properly taken care of, it can last longer than you'll live

tony

WKR
Me too :LOL:

I had metal put at my old place.
Right over the shingles, done in a day.

TaperPin

WKR
We are going to be re shingling our house in a few weeks. Does anyone have any shingle recommendations? I've got four buddies that have done it in the past, and another 8 that have said they will help tear off. Just want to make sure I get good shingles. Also any tips would we well accepted.

Should add. We live in South Dakota, so gets cold in winters and hot in the summers.

We currently have turbines for ventilation, best to keep them? Or should we get a roof ridge, or slant back vent?
The biggest problem I’ve seen with diy roofs is using poor flashing technique and ice and water that’s poorly done. In semi dry areas even the roofers are bad at this, but they get away with it since it rarely rains. Water runs down hill.

Second issue is wrong overlap. When your buddies say it will really speed up installation, it will, but it will also increase the risk of leaks. I’ve had more than one remodeling client have me look at their roof, and there is no way to fix it other than tearing it off.

Third biggest issue is they aren’t straight. A simple chalk line will keep things looking correctly. Also keep nails where they are supposed to be and keep a tube of roof caulking to seal the heads of any nails where they shouldn’t be.

Full length ridge vents are often cut into an existing roof, but it eliminates all your plywood nailing at the ridge. In tornado country I’d be surprised if it’s allowable.

My contractor neighbor loves turbines, but I just use the old reliable metal nubs every 4’ on each side of the ridge. He thinks a few big turbines vent better, but I don’t suffer from too little venting.

It’s safe to say, use the brand and style of shingles that have held up well in your community, and ignore advice from across the country.

New drip edge is pretty standard. Ice and water around the perimeter is pretty standard.

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
Lowes Or supply store Timberline HD. Very good shingle for the Dakotas. My dad has 16 year old shingles and they went through a hail storm a few years back. I inspected the roof and they look like new. I have installed these on a few other houses as well. When my crap lifetime Atlas are junk I will be installing the timberline as well. My 2c

Last edited:
Go with architecture shingles or metal. I installed a ton of shingles during my construction days and metal as well. A lot depends on your area with the amount of water or hail you might get. Don’t do ridge vents and I think turbines are a little overkill. Standard roof vents will work just fine when they are spaced correctly.

Taperpin above has a lot of good advice as well.

elkguide

WKR
An architectural shingle is where you start as long as your roof has a greater than 4-12 pitch. Not a fan of roof turbines. I always try and avoid any more opportunities for the roof to leak because of something breaching the roof. Use an ice and water shield paper under the shingles. Be sure and follow the manufacturers recommendation for nail spacing. Here in the Northeast where I live and work, ridge vents are standard and work well. Be sure and replace all drip edge.

DanimalW

WKR
I was a shingle manufacturer’s sales rep. Still work in the roofing industry but on the commercial end. I would 100% switch out those turbines for a ridge vent. Use a calculator from the manufacturer’s website. You need equal or greater intake for it to ventilate through the ridge. When you’re sitting on that ridge nailing the caps down you will know it’s working.

Personally don’t feel like shingle quality is that great. They’re thinner and lighter, and somehow better. The sealant has gotten better. As mentioned previously, flashing and ice and water done correctly is important. Be sure your fun isn’t overdriving nails. Easy mistake that causes failure. Also, it’s your own house, so you can take the time to hit each with a couple more nails than minimum required. I’d feel comfortable with most shingle manufacturers. They’ve all had their major issues and the warranties/class action payouts are a joke.

I don’t know much about metal shingles, but I wouldn’t go with a cheap, exposed fastener 29 gauge metal roof panel.

Schism

WKR
I live in North Dakota and we have Certainteed Landmark Lifetime shingles on our house and outbuilding. The shingles have held up well to our weather for the 8 years they've been on the house. The price increase for the impact resistant shingles over standard was paid for in 3-4 years in reduced homeowners insurance premiums. That might be worth checking into with your agent.

The roofing company recommended the impact resistant shingles and our contractor recommended the ridge vent when we built so that's what we went with.

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
It's valuable to install adhesive backed ice and water shield instead of felt paper or synthetic felt.

Owens Corning Duration product hasn't been mentioned yet. Look at the SureNail feature. This is what I put on my house.

Certainteed Landmark is great. Use Landmark PRO if your roof is a prominent feature of your house as its more contrasted in appearance.

GAF shingles are OK but the colors are boring and unsophisticated.

Avoid Tamko, including any of their accessory products.

There are two kinds of metal roofs. Regular and standing seam. Standing seam costs more but it is the best by far standing up to storms. Spend a little extra up front and hopefully never have to touch it again.

If you don't walk around on your roof, 40 year organic architectural's will last, well, 40 years...

Unpredictable adverse weather events don't count.

OP
C

CHSD

WKR
Thanks for all the advice in this thread. Looking at getting Certainteed Landmark or Owens Corning Duration. $6 a bundle difference. Roof is 30 square. Trying to decide which to go with.
Any recommendations? Insurance agent said going to impact resistant will only save $40 a year, so not thinking that is worth it.