Shipping ammo Private-Private

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I dropped off a 38lb box of 6.8spc ammo at UPS this afternoon. Was in and out in under 30 seconds. Longest time was the clerk signing my paperwork because of the value.

OXN939

WKR
UPS Stores are not owned or operated by UPS, they are private franchises that simply license the UPS brand. The corporate policy of the UPS Store brand is to not ship firearms, ammo or firearm related items. You might find a gun friendly local UPS Store owner that will but the policy of the franchise is to not ship firearms related material.

UPS Stores will charge you double what UPS charges for shipping, that’s how they make their money. You can simply go to UPS.com and create your own shipping label, print it off and either set up a pick up, drop off at a UPS hub or if not shipping firearms related material drop off at a UPS store. You will save a ton of $$ by going online and doing it yourself.

Here's one for you guys. Ammo alright to ship to NY? Apparently this, as with any things involving the government, is a moving target...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I was dropping off ammo at the UPS hub the other day and had two guys in front of me and one guy behind me. I noticed that all of us were shipping ammo and had to laugh.

Hmm interesting.
I am under the assumption the reason uos store's won't is because the local owner was anti.
But I got no proof.
An employee at my local ups store said they want to be able to ship it, but their owner hasnt/wont get the license or whatever is required, so that may be true or not. They could be anti or they might just not wanna pay for it or hassle with the license or whatever. Either way luckily i have a hub nearby

I shipped some ammo at my local hub a few weeks back. The guy slapped a black diamond on the box, and to,d me if I created a UPS account and created a shipping label I could just put the sticker on myself and drop it off at any UPS pickup point. I asked the UPS store right across the street from me and she said no ammo. I suspect if you create the label and drop it off it’s a crapshoot whether they even notice or not.

I mentioned earlier UPS Store is not UPS. ive heard they have a corporate policy not get involved in firearms related shipping. No idea if they are anti or not. I would imagine your insurance is higher if you regularly handle stuff that blows up. I’m scared to call my agent and tell him about how much powder I have in the garage.

Last edited:
I shipped some ammo at my local hub a few weeks back. The guy slapped a black diamond on the box, and to,d me if I created a UPS account and created a shipping label I could just put the sticker on myself and drop it off at any UPS pickup point. I asked the UPS store right across the street from me and she said no ammo. I suspect if you create the label and drop it off it’s a crapshoot whether they even notice or not.

I mentioned earlier UPS Store is not UPS. ive heard they have a corporate policy not get involved in firearms related shipping. No idea if they are anti or not. I would imagine your insurance is higher if you regularly handle stuff that blows up. I’m scared to call my agent and tell him about how much powder I have in the garage.
The problem is they will completely deny your insurance claim if you have a problem.

The problem is they will completely deny your insurance claim if you have a problem.
You mean UPS store will deny your claim? I suppose its possible... but wouldn’t your claim be with UPS once they pick up the Ammo? The other thought is using a drop off location that is not a UPS store. My local Ace hardware will ship packages UPS and always accepts drop off packages with a UPS shipping label on them. Their only comment has been “Put it on the counter over there”. OTOH I have never tried to ship ammo thru Ace.

You mean UPS store will deny your claim? I suppose its possible... but wouldn’t your claim be with UPS once they pick up the Ammo? The other thought is using a drop off location that is not a UPS store. My local Ace hardware will ship packages UPS and always accepts drop off packages with a UPS shipping label on them. Their only comment has been “Put it on the counter over there”. OTOH I have never tried to ship ammo thru Ace.
Yeah they are basically saying your commitng fraud.
They won't even ship a rifle scope because it is a gun part.
I asked what if I printed a label myself and didn't specify what is in box.
They told me I better hope nothing happens because all claims will be denied.

And I guess it would depend on where you problem starts it would have to be after the driver scans it for ups to own it.
Otherwise they will try get the store to absorb tithe cost.

def90

WKR
Always create and pay for your UPS shipment online at ups.com. It will be half the price that they will try to charge you at the UPS Store. The UPS Store is not UPS, it is an independent company that just has a licensing agreement with UPS. When you ship anything through a UPS Store you are paying for their added upcharge on top of the regular UPS price.

Their license agreement requires them to receive any UPS package for shipment so after you create your shipment online you simply drop it off at the local store. There is zero reason to tell them what it is and they shouldn’t be asking what it is as it is a preprinted label. They can scan your package when you drop it off and give you a receipt to show that it has entered the shipping stream. This will protect you from a package being “lost” at the UPS Store.

I rent a mail box at my local UPS Store for my business so I deal with these guys all the time.

Always create and pay for your UPS shipment online at ups.com. It will be half the price that they will try to charge you at the UPS Store. The UPS Store is not UPS, it is an independent company that just has a licensing agreement with UPS. When you ship anything through a UPS Store you are paying for their added upcharge on top of the regular UPS price.

Their license agreement requires them to receive any UPS package for shipment so after you create your shipment online you simply drop it off at the local store. There is zero reason to tell them what it is and they shouldn’t be asking what it is as it is a preprinted label. They can scan your package when you drop it off and give you a receipt to show that it has entered the shipping stream. This will protect you from a package being “lost” at the UPS Store.

I rent a mail box at my local UPS Store for my business so I deal with these guys all the time.
So they have to accept guns?
I'm sorry I just do not believe your statement.

def90

WKR
So they have to accept guns?
I'm sorry I just do not believe your statement.
This thread is about ammo, UPS doesn’t have any policy that prevents you from dropping ammo off at the local UPS Store, UPS’ policy on firearms is that they can only be dropped of at a hub/customer center or via a scheduled pickup. There are very specific requirements on how firearms need to be packaged, shipped and marked.

This thread is about ammo, UPS doesn’t have any policy that prevents you from dropping ammo off at the local UPS Store, UPS’ policy on firearms is that they can only be dropped of at a hub/customer center or via a scheduled pickup. There are very specific requirements on how firearms need to be packaged, shipped and marked.
You don't think they will notice the diamond sticker and refuse it?

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
UPS might not have a policy that prevents you from dropping ammo off at the local UPS Store, but the local UPS Store will have a policy that they don’t ship ammo. Regardless of what UPS says.
So create an online account, create the shipping label and pay for it, affix to the box with aforementioned diamond label, and then take to a UPS customer center/hub, set up a home pickup, or hand off to the UPS driver when he is delivering something to your house or street. All of those methods work.