Shipping moose meat

jofes

WKR
Going on a drop camp moose hunt in western AK this fall, what has been your experience as to the most affordable way to ship meat home with you? Or is there just no such thing as affordable in this situation.
Thanks

Djacker

WKR
I became a known shipper with Alaska Airlines last year. Super easy and pretty cost effective. Depending on how much meat your brining home, you could check it as baggage. Also look into Alaska Troohy Express.

If you can find a known shipper with Alaska airlines it’s not terrible at all. I had just shy of 300lbs shipped back to Montana this past fall & it was about $250-260 for shipping

PMcGee

WKR
Back in 17 in cost me $475 to bring home 550lbs of meat and 2 racks bundled together (skull capped) home as checked baggage. My buddy had his moose processed up there and shipped home. I don’t remember what that cost. I didn’t want to go that route because I would’ve had to take another day off work to go pick the meat up at the airport. I froze the meat in plastic totes just under 100lbs. It was pretty easy with Alaska airlines. I’m sure their prices have gone up since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

keller

WKR
Prices have gone up considerably. 2023 I shipped my moose rack .alaska air cargo known shipper. $1017 from bethel to msp. Meat I took as checked baggage at $100 box. Extra charge for overweight and oversize now. I would go ak trophy express if I do it again.

Prices have gone up considerably. 2023 I shipped my moose rack .alaska air cargo known shipper. $1017 from bethel to msp. Meat I took as checked baggage at $100 box. Extra charge for overweight and oversize now. I would go ak trophy express if I do it again.
Wow thats high! In 2022 I shipped my moose rack and 300lbs of meat Air Cargo for $550

Djacker

WKR
If you do use Alaska Air cargo. Try to avoid shipping on Sunday. Sunday is Gold Streak shipping. I found that out the hard way last year.

OP
J

jofes

WKR
How are the prices so variable on the same thing? Is it really just the day of the week?

Djacker

WKR
They take weight and dimensions in to account. From what I found out Sunday is Gold Streak only, for whatever reason. Gold Streak is the most expensive. Still only cost $650 to ship back 100lbs of antlers, that were split, and 220lbs of meat. I got it the same day I shipped it.

You can still check antlers as baggage. IMG_6945.jpeg
I know of a guy that AK Air Cargo essentially ruined his whole moose a couple years ago. They’ve been pissing me off last couple of years. Not sure if meat still needs to be frozen to check as baggage. Few years ago I flew from a fishing village and they opened EVERY cooler at check in and took out any unfrozen fish. So check on that and make sure you can freeze it.

Be sure to factor in an extra $400-500 for shipping to and storage in ANC if using AK Trophy Express. The only complaint that I’ve heard a lot with them is they just show up with little warning and you have to drop everything to go meet them. Constructive criticism is if they simply just updated their social media or mass email every 24 hours while en route would be a MASSIVE improvement. Several friends that used them have said they essentially say “we’re leaving AK” and then go silent and won’t post anywhere or return a call for a week until they randomly call and say “meet us in X in 6 hours.”

Timber84

FNG
Avoid D&C expeditors in Anchorage! I would agree Alaska Trophy Expediters, also in Anchorage, is far better.

Djacker

WKR
There's also Alaska Trophy Expediters, I met him at Lake and Penn picking meat/antlers for a couple clients. He seemed on it.

Second that

I set myself up as a known shipper with Alaska Airlines. If I recall correctly it will cost me about .74 cents a pound to ship from Bethel to Portland, OR. The best part is that its cold the entire time and has up to a 72 hour hold in Portland, pretty convenient.