Shoot2Hunt University

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
@Formidilosus Can you elaborate? Seems like it would be no diff than a more flat-bottom stock…

This thread has a relatively in-depth discussion of it-

People use those kinds of things for hunting?
I mean if they're willing to carry the weight, sure. I think a DT SRS Covert weighs about 9.5# bare. Also depends on the type of hunting I guess. I've killed a deer from a treestand using an Accuracy International since for that kind of hunting weight doesn't matter. The DTA compromise is that they're heavy but in a very compact package. There are a lot of other compromises for them that kept me from buying one though.

Carl Ross

Lil-Rokslider
IIRC a Zermatt.

I've used Bighorn/Zermatt TL3's for my comp guns since 2017. They bind more than most if you try to run them like a Tikka. When I first got one it took me a lot of reps to adjust. I can't do it wrong now without trying. They still have a unique feature set I appreciate. I don't know if I'd build a system around them today like I did back then for a couple other reasons.

I've used Bighorn/Zermatt TL3's for my comp guns since 2017. They bind more than most if you try to run them like a Tikka. When I first got one it took me a lot of reps to adjust. I can't do it wrong now without trying. They still have a unique feature set I appreciate. I don't know if I'd build a system around them today like I did back then for a couple other reasons.
The Zermatt's are known to bind easier. The most unbindable action I've used is an AI, and then Tikka is great for it too. I've heard for Impacts and Lone Peaks you basically have to try to get them to bind. But within the R700 clone selection it varies a lot.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

Ah. It wasn’t too hard to get it running quickly, but as soon as he/others tried to rack it fast, locking up was frequent.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
The Zermatt's are known to bind easier. The most unbindable action I've used is an AI, and then Tikka is great for it too.

Most of the European and Scandinavian actions don’t bind.

I've heard for Impacts and Lone Peaks you basically have to try to get them to bind.

That he and then what I’ve seen. If racking quickly, binding at the back was pretty common with Impacts.

But within the R700 clone selection it varies a lot.

It varies, I wouldn’t say a lot though- but that’s just my interpretation of it. The BAT Hammerhead is about the best non-binding R700 based action I have used/seen, but it still does it at the back. Binding is just something that manufacturers don’t address because PRS, BR, F-Class, etc don’t rack quickly. They do in Europe and Scandinavia with both driven hunting and their competition, and their action by and large do not bind.

Carl Ross

Lil-Rokslider
The Zermatt's are known to bind easier. The most unbindable action I've used is an AI, and then Tikka is great for it too. I've heard for Impacts and Lone Peaks you basically have to try to get them to bind. But within the R700 clone selection it varies a lot.

In my limited experience, I don't love the AI actions overall, but they do seem to work correctly. Agree that the Impacts are easier to run, but not unbindable either.

Ah. It wasn’t too hard to get it running quickly, but as soon as he/others tried to rack it fast, locking up was frequent.

It varies, I wouldn’t say a lot though- but that’s just my interpretation of it. The BAT Hammerhead is about the best non-binding R700 based action I have used/seen, but it still does it at the back. Binding is just something that manufacturers don’t address because PRS, BR, F-Class, etc don’t rack quickly. They do in Europe and Scandinavia with both driven hunting and their competition, and their action by and large do not bind.

I can run a Zermatt fast-ish, but on something like the charging bear drill I'd probably give up .1-.2 on splits I bet. Makes me curious to test it out sometime.

If I had to put my pinky in the air and get particular about the nuances of different actions, I prefer the function of the Zermatt for PRS use as running the bolt will disturb it slightly less in a position than a Tikka, AW mags being an option is nice too. The bolt speed is a non-issue as it's really a cadence shooting sport, not a speed shooting one. I prefer the Tikka for field/hunting use primarily for the integrated rail and less troublesome trigger, but running it slightly faster doesn't suck either.

Not by accident, that's how my rifle actions are allocated at the moment.

philcox

WKR
This thread has a relatively in-depth discussion of it-

Thank you!

I like my tikkas but I really doubt I run them any faster than the lone peak on my gamer gun. Bolt lift on tikkas disturbs the rifle a lot more but it’s not a fair fight because of how much heavier that lone peak rifle is. I’d like to try it on a lighter rifle to see the difference.

Messed with a guy’s Solus in my squad a couple weeks ago and that thing had lighter bolt lift and was just as smooth as my tikka.. surprised me!

Last edited:

khuber84

WKR
I like my tikkas but I really doubt I run them any faster than the lone peak on my gamer gun. Bolt lift on tikkas disturbs the rifle a lot more but it’s not a fair fight because of how much heavier that lone peak rifle is. I’d like to try it on a lighter rifle to see the difference.

Messed with a guy’s Solus in my squad a couple weeks ago and that thing had lighter bolt lift and was just as smooth as my tikka.. surprised me!
Lone peak and impacts have very light bolt lift. Believe they run lighter springs with lightweight pins to keep the fp energy up for consistency upon ignition. They're prob the two lightest lift actions out there. I picked up a solus to build my nephew a prs rifle as an 18th birthday present, and it's not light, and not smooth. Will likely give it a lil dry lube Teflon spray on lugs and in raceways, and get a few hundred rounds though it and see where it lands. It def feels like a budget action at this point.

SloppyJ

WKR
Lone peak and impacts have very light bolt lift. Believe they run lighter springs with lightweight pins to keep the fp energy up for consistency upon ignition. They're prob the two lightest lift actions out there. I picked up a solus to build my nephew a prs rifle as an 18th birthday present, and it's not light, and not smooth. Will likely give it a lil dry lube Teflon spray on lugs and in raceways, and get a few hundred rounds though it and see where it lands. It def feels like a budget action at this point.
Interested to hear what you think of that action after some rounds through it. I was surprised at how much my origin smoothed out after I lubed it a bit and ran the piss out of it and around 50 handloads just trying to get some initial velocity info and a start on breaking the barrel in. Although I doubt I'd buy a solus mainly because they don't come in left hand versions. Those commies.

khuber84

WKR
Interested to hear what you think of that action after some rounds through it. I was surprised at how much my origin smoothed out after I lubed it a bit and ran the piss out of it and around 50 handloads just trying to get some initial velocity info and a start on breaking the barrel in. Although I doubt I'd buy a solus mainly because they don't come in left hand versions. Those commies.
I have 3 origins, a Ti3, and a couple TL3s, so I'm def a zermatt action fan. My first origin is on its 4th barrel, so it likely has near 10k rounds though it. A lot of the coating has worn off the bolt body, but it runs so smooth.

khuber84

WKR
Whats your opinion on a blaser R8? Any experience with the straight pull Euro designs? The straight pull Savages that I fondled felt like trash, but they're new and not broken in obviously. I see the merits in the design, quick manipulation and less rifle disturbance. An R8 is a significant investment initially but I have a guy who I'm certain could machine some barrel extensions and make swapping a much more affordable means.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Whats your opinion on a blaser R8? Any experience with the straight pull Euro designs? The straight pull Savages that I fondled felt like trash, but they're new and not broken in obviously. I see the merits in the design, quick manipulation and less rifle disturbance. An R8 is a significant investment initially but I have a guy who I'm certain could machine some barrel extensions and make swapping a much more affordable means.

If someone isn’t married to conventional bolt actions, the R8 is probably the best rifle system on the market.