Shooting at the next level

Insomnia

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of people will copy what very good shooters do in many aspects of their shot process or equipment. Some people will copy how elite archers practice. Obviously, we do this because we want to become better archers, and we want to imitate what we see or hear the successful archers doing. I think one of the most overlooked and incredibly helpful things that elite archers do is taking notes. I will be the first to admit that in school, I was one of those kids that never took notes. In archery, I used to take notes religiously when I was competing seriously, and recently again to push through a bit of a plateau in my shooting.

Taking notes is handy because you can reference, in hindsight, the changes you made and the reasons you made those changes, and more easily see patterns in your shooting. The act of writing down what you're noticing in your practice sessions is, by itself, very powerful for really focusing on details you may have glossed over otherwise. For example, write down where you're grouping in what weather. In wind, with longer holds, I have a tendency of letting my front shoulder creep upwards and move my groups low. I know that because of my journalling.

Of course, this is a lot of work and a lot of effort, and for a lot of us hunters it's just not worth it. If you're trying to seriously improve, maybe give it a shot. There's a lot of apps to take notes on - having a year's worth of intimate knowledge about your shot process, your equipment, your strengths and weaknesses, etc. in your pocket at all times is nice to be able to reference.

Screenshot_20230604_213002_DAILY NOTE~2.jpg