Shooting Gear/ Accessories -What to get??

ja4wheel6

FNG
I am new to the sport of long range shooting. I am an avid archer. I had a bad experience last year on my elk hunt that I am on the route to make sure never ever happens again. I am wanting a list of things I should be looking to get. I am going to be doing as much shooting as possible. I want to get into NRL hunter this year

What I have/ Is on the way
- Christenson ELR 300PRC (will be my backup gun i think)
- Matt alwine built MTN forged 7prc (main Gun)
-amazon shooting bags (filled with corn so far)
- Cheap atlas bipod clone
- Ordering the MDT cyke double pull lite
- sirui tripod
- shooting matt
- kifaru 357 magnum
- sig 8k
- sig image stabilizing binos
Things I want suggestions on
-What is the most accurate way to shoot to test group sizes
- What heavy sand bags to get?
- tripods?
- what all else do I need
-

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Get a mentor.

Everything you have will get you there, you just need a dialing scope. The RS approved list would be the Trijicon Tenmile FFP. I like the MK5 as well.

It doesn't matter what the gun shoots. If you can shoot them into 1" at 100 yards you can kill effectively to 500 yards. Get your rifles zeroed and then get off the bench. Then, get real about it and practice how you will shoot.

Practice in positions that can clear the obstacles you find, then practice on uneven ground, and then practice at the angles you will have to shoot at.

Rather than practicing lots of methods and positions, my method has been to focus on shooting off a tripod in a couple of positions that can cover between 200 and 1000 yards. From prone to standing, learn how far you can capably shoot in each position. For prone, learn how to shoot off your pack.

I am new to the sport of long range shooting. I am an avid archer. I had a bad experience last year on my elk hunt that I am on the route to make sure never ever happens again. I am wanting a list of things I should be looking to get. I am going to be doing as much shooting as possible. I want to get into NRL hunter this year

What I have/ Is on the way
- Christenson ELR 300PRC (will be my backup gun i think)
- Matt alwine built MTN forged 7prc (main Gun)
-amazon shooting bags (filled with corn so far)
- Cheap atlas bipod clone
- Ordering the MDT cyke double pull lite
- sirui tripod
- shooting matt
- kifaru 357 magnum
- sig 8k
- sig image stabilizing binos
Things I want suggestions on
-What is the most accurate way to shoot to test group sizes
prone with bipod/rear bag or on a bench with the same
- What heavy sand bags to get?
Positional - game changer's are kind of the standard. I'd look at the schmedium model for match use or just get a pint sized with git-lite fill if you want to use it hunting.
For a dedicated rear bag i've used a bunch of different stuff but I'd probably google "taylor was here snipers hide" for his rear bags. A game changer can be used as a rear bag as well.

- tripods?
Depends heavily on use case. The best for the gaming matches is not going to be the best to carry on most hunts.
- what all else do I need
Ditch the christensen 300 PRC for something you'll actually put some volume on without worrying about how hot the barrel is or how much $ you're throwing down range with every shot. I'm talking 223, 6 arc, 6.5 creed, or 308.

Concentrate more about the stuff covered in these threads than gear (advice i often need to heed more myself)

Last edited:
Only annoyance with the lightweight Ckye pods is that you can only tension the pan feature, you can't lock it. I just returned a lightweight single pull and ordered a standard weight one for that reason. Anyway, find a precision rifle or long range course to attend ASAP before buying much else.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
In all honesty, if you are a good field shooter, a rangefinder, a pack, and a rifle set-up will get you to 1000 yards. Most don't like to hear that, as gear is fun. However, a focus on purposeful practice and some good quality instruction will go a lot further than any gear.

For practice, I would add a gun (or barrel) in a caliber like 308 or 223 that has cheap ammo and some barrel life. I would want that gun to be as close to identical to my hunting setup as possible. I would also add a 22lr with the same thoughts.

After those bases are covered, I'm going for something that will give me temp and pressure and if funds are no issue, I'm going to make that a Kestral with a ballistic solver. If funds are tight, get something inexpensive and use a dope card or a phone app for ballistics. Then a bipod, a rear bag, and a positional bag. Also, a tripod is pretty useful to shoot from. RRS is the king there. There are a few other manufacturers that make medium grade stuff that is worth the money. Most of the stuff that is marketed to shooters is Chinese arctise stuff that is rebranded and sold at various price points.

Beyond that, there won't be a lot left to buy that isn't just a fun toy. Several years and a couple $100k into this long range shooting stuff, I would go back and tell my younger self to keep it simple and spend the money on ammo for practice. It took probably 20k rounds in practice and matches before I feel like I was a truly competent shooter. Also, don't just go to the range and sling lead, practice with a specific purpose. No amount of money will buy you skills.

Train the way you intend to hunt

Doesn’t necessarily help to shoot one way (ie bench, clear shooting lanes, comfortable, etc) and then expect to shoot in brush/weeds/high grass or uphill/downhill.

Time yourself from pulling rifle off shoulder/off pack to shooting position with all gadgets.

Don’t want to take 5 mins to get into position when a big boy exposes himself for a shot

Just because you can make shot from 500 yards in training doesn’t mean you should do that on animal. Try to get as close as possible (terrain dependent and animal loiter time dependent).

Just a few tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just because you can make shot from 500 yards in training doesn’t mean you should do that on animal.
In my limited experience part of that is not pre-determining that you're going to shoot. Only shoot if you're stable enough to shoot and it's a good idea. If you decide beforehand that no matter what, you're going to shoot at the animal, your process can get very rushed.