Shooting off tripod help!!!!

archp625

WKR
I am good and solid shooting off a attached bipod with a rear bag. This morning I went to shoot and decided to shoot a couple different positions that I am never shoot from. Shooting off my tripod and shooting off the yoke of my bag. I would say I was 50% at 300 yards hitting a 8" plate. I felt like my crosshair was all over the place and I punched the trigger when I was there instead of an surprise pull.

Is this normal? Can I fix this issue? Is 300 too far to shoot with this set up?

Wapiti1

WKR
This is normal, and yes, you can fix it.

Couple of thoughts. Will you have both a tripod and pack when you are hunting? You can use both for the shot. One is the rifle support and the other braces your buttstock or trigger arm. That can steady you a lot. Another option is to bring sitting shooting sticks and use them for a rear brace.

When I shoot off a pack (I don't use a tripod, but I'd do the same), I sit behind it and try to become a single mass. I pull my arms into my body and bring the pack close to me. My support arm has the elbow against my ribs, and my trigger arm is tight to my side. Then only my breathing should be moving the reticle. I calm myself, then time the squeeze.

Just what works for me.

Jeremy

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
Was your gun mounted to your tripod via something like a Hog Saddle or was it more of direction connection via an Arca rail on gun and clamped into tripod head?

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
Try using your sling around your body or tripod to add stability. For shooting in the sitting position, i like to loosen my sling and run it from the forend under my support side armpit, around my back, back to the butt stock. This lets you tilt your shoulders slightly to steady the rifle and bring it into your shoulder.

For shooting standing off a tripod, I like to run the sling from the forend and loop it around a tripod leg a couple of times. Then tighten with your support hand to lock the rifle down against your cheek and lean into the tripod.

With the right tripod and sling technique you should be able to get almost as steady as prone.

You can also use trekking poles as shooting sticks on the butt of the rifle if you have time to set up like that in the field

Ohearchai

FNG
To be honest, telling us your setup would help. What kind of rifle, its weight, what kind of tripod, how you are attaching rifle to tripod. 300 at an 8 inch plate with a good setup should be hits, standing or kneeling. As mentioned above, some like to use an extended adjustanle sling attached to the front swivel, coming between the tripods legs and attached to your waist with a carabiner to take up some play.

Lawnboi

WKR
Been trying to practice off a tripod around 30 rounds a week, finally getting the hang of it.

Before I add more I’d like to know what your shooting, off of what tripod/attachment method.

I think realistic with a hunting rifle off a tripod is consistent hits on a 1.5-2moa target. The higher you go off the ground the harder it gets, and as you have seen the more demanding it is to have proper fundamentals. Can get away with a lot prone or off a bench that will really throw rounds off a tripod or barricade.

Rich M

WKR
Is there a way you could shoot from sitting as opposed to standing? Getting an elbow on a solid object, knee, post, whatever will tighten you up considerably.

A sling will help too.

Otherwise, keep practicing. It'll come.

I use a trigger stick and like it out to 200 yds. Beyond that I want more support and find that supporting my trigger finger side elbow makes the most diff.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I try to avoid standing if I can. I’m not good standing behind a tripod. If I can get into a seated position, say shooting up or downhill, I position myself so that I can lean into the tripod with a decent amount of pressure. This lets me be a lot more steady. Always have the largest diameter legs out first, and don’t use the extension pole unless you have to.

When I set the tripod up for shooting I ALWAYS favor it towards me, which helps in putting pressure against it.

I think Solid attachments work better as opposed to something like a hog saddle, and there is a large weight savings with solid attachments.

Where you are attaching the tripod also makes a difference. Most people like having them mounted close to the action. But I do also sell a lot of arca + pic adaptors that are made to be mounted right at the end of the fore end.

HankNM

Lil-Rokslider
I have taken to shooting off a tripod,sitting for the last 10 years.
Never liked a bipod on my rifle. Gets caught on brush,etc & half the time it is too short to clear brush. IMHO
Practice setting up. Set up quickly in the field. Set up & move into clear shooting range.Practice with my ranger too.
Prone, or off the pack is my other options usually in my local elk/deer country. Mostly open grasslands & PJ's.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Was your gun mounted to your tripod via something like a Hog Saddle or was it more of direction connection via an Arca rail on gun and clamped into tripod head?
No gun was not mounted to tripod. I was resting it on top of the tripod with a sand bag on top.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
To be honest, telling us your setup would help. What kind of rifle, its weight, what kind of tripod, how you are attaching rifle to tripod. 300 at an 8 inch plate with a good setup should be hits, standing or kneeling. As mentioned above, some like to use an extended adjustanle sling attached to the front swivel, coming between the tripods legs and attached to your waist with a carabiner to take up some play.
The gun is a CA Ridgeline with a Manners EH1 stock and NX8. I believe the weight is 8 lbs 13 oz. tripod is a Sirui Carbon fiber tripod with a VA-5 head. Its not attached to the tripod. I just rest it on top with a smal sand bag on top.

Ohearchai

FNG
The gun is a CA Ridgeline with a Manners EH1 stock and NX8. I believe the weight is 8 lbs 13 oz. tripod is a Sirui Carbon fiber tripod with a VA-5 head. Its not attached to the tripod. I just rest it on top with a smal sand bag on top.

I suppose thats half the problem since the rifle isnt attached to the head anyways. The tripods weight capacity is grand, but that head is only rated to 6.5lbs, is it the one with a handle on it?. You can attach the rifle using a cradle, pig, hog saddle or whatver or simply have someone competent install a short piece of arca rail near the the rifles pivot point. Avoid using the center column extended, try from the kneeling position with the rifle attached and see how it is.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
I suppose thats half the problem since the rifle isnt attached to the head anyways. The tripods weight capacity is grand, but that head is only rated to 6.5lbs, is it the one with a handle on it?. You can attach the rifle using a cradle, pig, hog saddle or whatver or simply have someone competent install a short piece of arca rail near the the rifles pivot point. Avoid using the center column extended, try from the kneeling position with the rifle attached and see how it is.
Yes the head is a fluid head with a handle. I did makes sure everything was locked. Im basically using it like a set of shooting sticks. Where I am hunting a will be able to shoot prone 90% so Im not too worried. Its the 10% that the brush or sage may be to high to shoot prone.

I shot off the tripod and used my pack as a rear rest and was very stable. Thats probably the route I will go.

FLS

WKR
I’ve used a Gamechanger bag on top of a Manfrotto and was able to get stable. Turn your magnification down and apply steady trigger pressure, trying to ambush the target usually doesn’t work.

Kudos for practicing other shooting positions. It is an area the majority of hunters could improve on (myself included). It can be a humbling experience just like those damn timing drills. The short term hit to the ego is well worth it!

I'd strongly recommend using a rimfire or bolt-action 223 to build up your experience on it. Much easier and cheaper to shoot 100+ rounds of 22 LR or 17 HMR than a box of 20 centerfire. Then once you starting getting things "figured out" introduce your hunting rounds. Do you have an open season on animals such as jackrabbits? If so, only use improvised rests and go hunt them. It is good practice on a live animal and it is not a big deal if you miss.

Use a variety of items for practice. Try shooting off of your binoculars or spotter (attached to your tripod), shoot off your pack (vertical), tree branch, a shooting "V" (attached to the tripod), fence wire, etc. Also include some shots while standing, kneeling, sitting, etc. You never know what type of shot you'll need to take. There are two primary benefits to do this. First, you get increased proficiency when shooting from other types of shooting positions. Second, if and when the time comes to take a shot from a less than ideal shooting position, you already know how to address it. The shot is less "fingers crossed" and more "this is doable". It also saves valuable time trying to figure out how to make that shot.

Lawnboi

WKR
Alright, I’ll preface this by saying that I’m no expert on shooting. Over the last year Iv been working on being a better shot off a tripod, shot hundreds of centerfire rounds and thousands of .22. I think 2moa should be achievable off a tripod seated most of the time, with the above setup, I wouldn’t expect what guys running heavy comp rigs are doing off 1300$ rrs setups, with your setup.

I started with just a slik tripod and benro head, along with a Hogg saddle. This sucked. The ultra lite tripods don’t support the rifle, either do the heads. IMO a saddle is not the way to go, if anything invest in a way to directly attach. if running the tripod you have is what your going to do, id recommend a pint sized game changer git lite fill bag to slap over the top (Works awesome as a rear bag as well). If your serious about shooting off a tripod I’d look into investing in something more stable, and a tougher head, along with a direct connection. I ended with an rrs head on a cheaper tripod, hopefully upgrading the tripod soon. I can clip my rifle into the rrs head in seconds, makes setup way faster.

Few things, your shooting a hunting gun. Build your setup so that you can get it up fast. Your already pulling a tripod out of your pack. and looking at sub 400 yards, my personal max off a tripod, you don’t necessarily have the time to be farting around trying to do some of the stuff that’s mentioned above, such as adjusting to have perfect elevation with your pack under the butt, playing with your sling to apply pressure, or use shooting sticks under the butt. While these practices can steady things up a great deal, they take time to do. Something I probably won’t have in the field, so I try to practice like I’d hunt. Fast setups, that are quick. I even sold the saddle cause I was just another thing to pull out in order to get a shot off.

I would first work on seated. Seated with the rifle on a bag on your head. Height is very important, mid bicep, too high and your going to have issues managing recoil. I use my knee under my shooting hand elbow to provide stability, and hold the scope with my left, resting my other elbow on the tripod leg of other knee if I can. I run my tripod always one leg forward, two back. Don’t mean to plug another forum but snipers hide has a lot of videos and reading on tripod shooting. Work on building a stable position fast. Are you going to take the time to do things like clip your sling in your pant, or adjust the height perfect for a rear pack yoke support In the field? Probably not.

Splay put your tripod legs wide, don’t use the center column. Work on setups till you can’t mess it up quickly, and know your gear. I know what height I need to setup at for a seated shot without playing around

Shooting fundamentals become very important the higher off the ground you get. Specifically recoil management on these lighter hunting guns. Build your position square on the rifle, use your trigger hand fingers to pull the stock into your shoulder, taking up any slack. Don’t be afraid to apply some pressure if you got a bigger caliber. Your body has to absorb the recoil like it would prone or off a bench, easier said than done, but if your square on the rifle, firm and the rifle is at the right height things come together. Trigger control and follow through become very important as you have seen, a punch won’t result in satisfactory results like you see off a bench or prone. Keep your eyes open, try to spot your shot.

Dry fire ALOT. Focusing on breathing and trigger control. 22lr is great for this but don’t get lazy, lack of recoil on a 22 takes managing recoil off the table, something you will need to do to make hits off a tripod with a light gun. For that reason I’d suggest just stepping up dry fire drills

Using some of the above Iv gotten a lot more comfortable behind the tripod. It’s made me a better shooter. My setup is much more shooting oriented, usually I’m shooting 275 at a 4” plate. Seated is near 100%, as I go between seated and standing things drop to around 80% hits. I do things like specifically shoot off a bag instead of clip in just to keep myself on my toes. Shooting prs matches off barricades also helped a lot, a lot of the fundamentals are essentially the same off a barricade as they are a tripod.

Make your practice realistic. When I go out for a day of tripod practice I start seated. I work on setup and getting off one to two shots then I start completely over. I move from seated, to kneeling, to standing. Mix up the terrain as well if it’s possible. I’d throw a 2moa plate out, at a distance where wind isn’t a huge deal, and bang away. Then make it harder from there.

5F61F487-3462-45D8-A3C0-95588CC6573C.jpeg

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Alright, I’ll preface this by saying that I’m no expert on shooting. Over the last year Iv been working on being a better shot off a tripod, shot hundreds of centerfire rounds and thousands of .22. I think 2moa should be achievable off a tripod seated most of the time, with the above setup, I wouldn’t expect what guys running heavy comp rigs are doing off 1300$ rrs setups, with your setup.

I started with just a slik tripod and benro head, along with a Hogg saddle. This sucked. The ultra lite tripods don’t support the rifle, either do the heads. IMO a saddle is not the way to go, if anything invest in a way to directly attach. if running the tripod you have is what your going to do, id recommend a pint sized game changer git lite fill bag to slap over the top (Works awesome as a rear bag as well). If your serious about shooting off a tripod I’d look into investing in something more stable, and a tougher head, along with a direct connection. I ended with an rrs head on a cheaper tripod, hopefully upgrading the tripod soon. I can clip my rifle into the rrs head in seconds, makes setup way faster.

Few things, your shooting a hunting gun. Build your setup so that you can get it up fast. Your already pulling a tripod out of your pack. and looking at sub 400 yards, my personal max off a tripod, you don’t necessarily have the time to be farting around trying to do some of the stuff that’s mentioned above, such as adjusting to have perfect elevation with your pack under the butt, playing with your sling to apply pressure, or use shooting sticks under the butt. While these practices can steady things up a great deal, they take time to do. Something I probably won’t have in the field, so I try to practice like I’d hunt. Fast setups, that are quick. I even sold the saddle cause I was just another thing to pull out in order to get a shot off.

I would first work on seated. Seated with the rifle on a bag on your head. Height is very important, mid bicep, too high and your going to have issues managing recoil. I use my knee under my shooting hand elbow to provide stability, and hold the scope with my left, resting my other elbow on the tripod leg of other knee if I can. I run my tripod always one leg forward, two back. Don’t mean to plug another forum but snipers hide has a lot of videos and reading on tripod shooting. Work on building a stable position fast. Are you going to take the time to do things like clip your sling in your pant, or adjust the height perfect for a rear pack yoke support In the field? Probably not.

Splay put your tripod legs wide, don’t use the center column. Work on setups till you can’t mess it up quickly, and know your gear. I know what height I need to setup at for a seated shot without playing around

Shooting fundamentals become very important the higher off the ground you get. Specifically recoil management on these lighter hunting guns. Build your position square on the rifle, use your trigger hand fingers to pull the stock into your shoulder, taking up any slack. Don’t be afraid to apply some pressure if you got a bigger caliber. Your body has to absorb the recoil like it would prone or off a bench, easier said than done, but if your square on the rifle, firm and the rifle is at the right height things come together. Trigger control and follow through become very important as you have seen, a punch won’t result in satisfactory results like you see off a bench or prone. Keep your eyes open, try to spot your shot.

Dry fire ALOT. Focusing on breathing and trigger control. 22lr is great for this but don’t get lazy, lack of recoil on a 22 takes managing recoil off the table, something you will need to do to make hits off a tripod with a light gun. For that reason I’d suggest just stepping up dry fire drills

Using some of the above Iv gotten a lot more comfortable behind the tripod. It’s made me a better shooter. My setup is much more shooting oriented, usually I’m shooting 275 at a 4” plate. Seated is near 100%, as I go between seated and standing things drop to around 80% hits. I do things like specifically shoot off a bag instead of clip in just to keep myself on my toes. Shooting prs matches off barricades also helped a lot, a lot of the fundamentals are essentially the same off a barricade as they are a tripod.

Make your practice realistic. When I go out for a day of tripod practice I start seated. I work on setup and getting off one to two shots then I start completely over. I move from seated, to kneeling, to standing. Mix up the terrain as well if it’s possible. I’d throw a 2moa plate out, at a distance where wind isn’t a huge deal, and bang away. Then make it harder from there.

View attachment 207120
The dry fire drill seems on point. I was just thinking about that last night. My gun is a pussycat to shoot as far as recoil. Its the staying on target. I'm dancing all over the place. I also think I need to dial down on the magnification.

Lawnboi

WKR
The dry fire drill seems on point. I was just thinking about that last night. My gun is a pussycat to shoot as far as recoil. Its the staying on target. I'm dancing all over the place. I also think I need to dial down on the magnification.

Definetly dial it down, like I said make it realistic, if your shooting an animal you want to see your impact, that won’t happen at 20x.

Also in regards to recoil, even a little and you can’t be sloppy off a light tripod. My 14lb braked 6.5 creed still demands a lot off barricades and the tripod.

I think your going to have a tough time with your setup, only because of the tripod and connection interface. The bag I mentioned will likely help. I would also try to attach some weight to your tripod if you can. Just a product of a light gun. Keep at it though. Getting off the ground has made me much more comfortable behind a rifle.

BTW an rrs tripod with a direct arca mount is like cheating. That eh1 would look slick with a 4” area 419 plate in front of the mag well.

Big Ern

WKR
Your setup isn't going to work the way you want.

You need an attachment of the rifle to the tripod via, at a minimum, a hod saddle type set-up or, preferably, via direct mount i.e. arca rail type attachment. You also need a tripod and leveling base/ball head that can handle not only the weight of the rifle, but the added forces of leaning into and/or pulling via sling as others have stated. Then, some practice.

The equipment is key. Then, practice. As I have stated before on this forum, don't expect to buy a tripod and ballhead; slap your rifle in it and bang steel plates out to a 1,000 yds. You need to practice, then you can do that relatively easy.

I would recommend checking out Max Ordinate Academy (Tyler Hughes). He has a great course for tipod and high angle shooting. He may also have some videos, etc. floating around the internet. He is a wealth of knowledge especially for shooting off tripod and using tripod as rear support. Plus, he is an outstanding instructor.

Good luck. Tripod is the way to go.

WCB

WKR
Will attaching the firearm to the Tripod help...probably...is it needed absolutely not. I shoot regularly out to 500 just sitting on my butt and resting my rifle on my pack (standing on end I believe like you are trying) and just off a inexpensive aluminum tripod with, like you, with a small front sand bag. No issues shooting around MOA with those set ups. I don't shoot standing off of my tripod due to it not being stable when extended that high but do shoot kneeling with it.

Try different set ups or bracing without firing shots. just get conformable and find something easily repeatable. Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire and don't be afraid to not pull the trigger if it is not comfortable. They key I have found is getting a tight as you can with your body and you may have to get low. I see guys trying to sit up rather straight and have issues.

I think a lot of guys get their mind in trouble by just trying a new position and firing live rounds expecting good results. If you can not hold the retical on target there is zero reason to pull the trigger.