Shooting Stlye

Rizzy

WKR
How do you shoot? Instinctive, gap, both, other.

I have done a lot better with instinctive so far, but it's hard to not peek at the arrow tip :)

Started a couple years ago gap shooting but am slowly getting confidence into true instinctive and it seems to be working well, but I still have those "off" days, just not as many

I want to say it's instinctive, but that is only out to about thirty yards, past that I have to utilize some form of sighting to be anywhere near consistent.

For my aiming, I start with a pre-aim. I use my arrow to set my windage. Once that is on, I do set a gap, but this is where it gets weird. It's not a dedicated gap where I'm holding off target so many inches, I'm almost going by feel. The gap just looks right and feels right. I guess you could call it an "instinctive-gap". LOL! I don't just use the tip of the arrow either, I use the "plane" of the arrow.
Now back to my aiming process. So I pre aim by setting my windage. Next my "instinctive-gap", then I'll continue to my shot sequence. All the while, I'm looking at the intended spot. Once I hit my face anchor, I start to refine my aiming. This is where most of my focus turns to the spot itself. Although I see the arrow, it's only in my peripheral vision at this time. If I let off a good shot, the split second before I release, my focus is 100% on the spot.

Last edited:

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
^^^ what he said

I have memorized my gap, so now I guess it is kinda like muscle memory. My focus is always were my arrow is going to impact. Maybe think of it as memorizing the arc of my arrows flight. Before each shot imagine the arrows arc.

IdahoElk

WKR
Instinctive.the minute I see a target I'm focusing on where I want to hit while drawing and when it feels right and I hit anchor the arrow is released.

OP
Rizzy

Rizzy

WKR
Instinctive.the minute I see a target I'm focusing on where I want to hit while drawing and when it feels right and I hit anchor the arrow is released.

That seems to be the direction I'm starting to go too, but I feel like I'm snap shooting sometimes. So far the less thought (human factor) the better the results...lol

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I have always been a gap shooter. When I hit my anchor point I have always counted(1 one thousand) before shooting. Don't know why just feels right.

Beendare

WKR
For my aiming, I start with a pre-aim. I use my arrow to set my windage. Once that is on, I do set a gap, but this is where it gets weird. It's not a dedicated gap where I'm holding off target so many inches, I'm almost going by feel. The gap just looks right and feels right. I guess you could call it an "instinctive-gap". LOL! I don't just use the tip of the arrow either, I use the "plane" of the arrow.
Now back to my aiming process. So I pre aim by setting my windage. Next my "instinctive-gap", then I'll continue to my shot sequence. All the while, I'm looking at the intended spot. Once I hit my face anchor, I start to refine my aiming. This is where most of my focus turns to the spot itself. Although I see the arrow, it's only in my peripheral vision at this time. If I let off a good shot, the split second before I release, my focus is 100% on the spot.

Holy smokes....thats the best description of the way I shoot too...i couldn't have said it better.

I think a guy starting out does need a reference point....no sin to gap shooting, its more accurate. i'm convinced thats what the "Instinctive" guys are doing anyway. Its been proven that when instinctive guys cannot see their arrow they cannot hit squat...so they must be referencing something. I think that "Masters of the Barebow 3" is the best tutorial on aiming and shooting.

Now when shooting long distances at tourneys you have to have a reference/Gap system to score halfway decent.

The most accurate guys i know string walk- which can be pinpoint accurate and consistant